More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They are just simply drilled for any stick tang, a nice useful size Anyroad. I've just triaged them into those that can be used straight away, those that need the brass collars levelling off on the sanding wheel ( they are perfectly usable, just I'm a little AR ) and those I won't bother with until the rest are used up, they have split collars or some other major defect..

imagejpg1_zps6e16f369.jpg

So definitely more than five good uns!

ATB

Tom

Ps just sanded down the Bol and gave it a good rub with w lent oil.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Fitted the two issue handles to the Permagrit files and soaked them for a few hours in boiled linseed oil, cleaned up the ratchet screw drivers and sorted the leatherworking tools.

imagejpg1_zps2b1dc781.jpg

The curved awl I really polished well, its a Geo Barnsley, I suspect the straight one is as well but I wet and dryed off any markings on that de rusting it and polishing. The groove cutter thing is marked J. DILLEGATE STALYBRIDGE. I've not been able to trace the company It and the half round awl needed new handles, the originals were too far gone to save. Ill polish the half round awl properly when I next get the polishing wheel out and give the two a good soak in linseed oil. Tomorrow, I've just given them a quick rub tonight.

atb

Tom

Ps just sanded down the bowl and gave it a good rub with walnut oil.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, really regret not getting some sooner, also got a set of smaller rifflers and a curved block and the big block off of th guy at Monmouth County Show. So much better than sand paper!

atb

tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Very nice.

I was at an autojumble yesterday, I found a draw knife and since I knew what it was, they guy reduced it to £30 for me.

I now have the same number of draw knives I had last month...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Colne Tools reopened today (with free wine and biscuits in celebration) much to my delight so we wnt over.

Sorry Red, the cross peins had gone as he had rotated a lot of stock back to his garage but I've asked him to look for them. I didn't get much myself, a blacksmiths top fuller ( handle needs tightening ) Sheffield' made but can't make out firm yet, a small sledge to hit it with, a free prison shiv / home made knife we discussed so he dumped it on me. And a reenactor rather than old ladle for melting soft metals like lead. I've wanted one for a bit and all I had was a stamped one I got with the army issue caulking tools which is only fit for doing tar and alike. And a neat little Rabone Chesterman 6inch ruller. Here's the before pics.

imagejpg1_zps93591f66.jpg

Will do pics when I have further done them up. The markings will be clearer a well.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finished the top fuller hammer, since I had one I fitted a new handle and wedged it on. 'Head just needed 5 mins on the wire wheel.

imagejpg2_zpsc2229775.jpg

We still can't make out the writing above Sheffield on the bottom but it says SOLID CAST STEEL in the side.

One question to the smiths, ill pick up a bottom fuller when I can but does the curved face need to be polished smooth as currently there's the odd pit?

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
On discovering the sledge was the same weight and size as the minty army issue one I got at the boot a few weeks back I decided to use the head of this one as a small anvil until I can get a real one. So I've sliced off the handle, wire wheeled the rust off and flattened and polished one face as best I can do. Unfortunately I don't have a decent sized log to mount it in right now so I'm currently chiselling out a hexagonal hole out of the last of the small plum logs I picked up at a mates. I'll filch something bigger when I see something.

Its a 7lb er and I can't quite make out the makers mark. It's quite a distinctive mark, same a on the fuller hammer i also cant quite read so ill put up a pic when its done a I'll be interested in knowing which Sheffield maker did it, and if the steels worth the effort I've put in!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here it is, the blocks plum. Any recomendations what sort of wood and size of log will do the job best? It will be stood on a solid waist high bench and be used for small stuff, almost jewlery sized.

Anvil010_zpscdf90358.jpg

and heres the mark, I have several items with it and its always indistinct. Weve looked at it from all angles and light arangements but apart from the SHEFFIELD below we have no idea...

anvil011_zps2739e649.jpg

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
imagejpg2_zpsc2229775.jpg

One question to the smiths, ill pick up a bottom fuller when I can but does the curved face need to be polished smooth as currently there's the odd pit?

atb

tom

It's very much up to you. Many of us are a bit anal about having nice polished faces on hammers and things, but if it leaves a textured finish, it's quite nice too. I have manky old hammer full of holes and weld splatter that I keep especialy for texturing ;)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's very much up to you. Many of us are a bit anal about having nice polished faces on hammers and things, but if it leaves a textured finish, it's quite nice too. I have manky old hammer full of holes and weld splatter that I keep especialy for texturing ;)

so ill file and polish it to death then!

cheers!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE