More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
image.jpg1_zps3aavtita.jpg

Finally got. Moment to derust, sand down and fettle the tools I got at th last boot 2 week back. The callipers are already hung up next to the lathe. 'Bog standard Wright and Mores, no pitting worth mentioning. The two engineers scrapers I polished flat /sharpened on a ultra fine diamond stone. The wood got 6 hours in the linseed bath, normally they get 24 but I had something else to go in. You can see on the big tongs where the citric acid solution came up to! I just wire wheeled the rest, got rid of the rust and cack which is the main thing.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nowt much in the Colne tool stall for me this week but in the all metal chisels bin there was a neat little George Barnsley Sheffield no. 5 stitch marker. Cost £1.

image.jpg1_zpso7dljufq.jpg

A soak in the hot citric acid a whiz on the wire wheel and a few strokes with a needle file and jobs a good un.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Only a couple of finds today that are vaguely bushy ( some corking art gear for pennies but ill try to not digress) a small sledge head that's in a jar pickling before I take the wire wheel and files to it to see if its worth saving and this, also for 50p

image.jpg1_zps9dvxmmh5.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsdwiirwea.jpg

Its marked George Barnsley and Sons so is probably for leather working / cobbling. The end looks like it could lift sole nails but I can't fathom what the teeth on the side are for. Does anyone know what it's called / for?

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Its marked George Barnsley and Sons so is probably for leather working / cobbling. The end looks like it could lift sole nails but I can't fathom what the teeth on the side are for. Does anyone know what it's called / for?

marking/pricking stitch hopes mabye? just guess.

Ste

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, I'm trying to get syndicated...

Cruising the net I've only found pic of two similar, one in a old kit in oz where the seller describes it as a nail lifter and another as a nail lifter and groover. Not sure what sort of groove on what but shoes were implied.

to be honest I think I'll be using it to rough up areas to be glued as the comb on the side will do the job nicely.

atb

tom. (First day back getting the kids up and feeling fragile, which will get a lot of sympathy from those who's been up and getting weathered since six....( that includes the wife )

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I mentioned a small sledge head I got for 50p, well I forgot to take it out of the derusting gloop yesterday and this AM the fluid had a pale green tinge and all the crud had fallen off. Not rusty steel at all but either bronze or copper.

image.jpg1_zpsnku8ciit.jpg

Excuse back ground, workbench currently with the false top on and the lads war games table on top of that.

I've filed and orbital sanded the faces flat and polished them a bit. Weighs 3 lb 9.5 oz. no markings but under the scars looks well made. I do have a spare "normal" hammer handle that with minimal trimming and a wedge will fit well but do you reckon it needs something more like a lump hammer handle? A sledge handle wouldn't be right even cut down. The eyes the same size as on a 2 lb steel ball pein I have.

i've smaller, mainly Thor type, copper hammers, the sort you'd tap machine parts out with but I'm wondering what you would whack with this?

atb

Tom

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I think you should polish it up, fit a bog-oak handle, engrave some runes in it and sell it to a wanna-be viking!

Z

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I thought it may be for non sparking.

i don't know whether to be pleased or mildly depressed, all I wanted was a about 4lb hammer head for the forging kit I'm trying to piece together. I!ll have to put it with the bronze magazine knife and EOD shovel I've acquired for no good reasons!

ATB

Tom

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
If it is beryllium copper the do not modify it in any way like filing, sanding or polishing as it is quite nasty stuff I have heard.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Bit late now as I've done it but thanks for the tip off, I won't be doing any more I can tell you that as the effects of prolonged exposure are really nasty! I've no cuts on my hands and there was minimal dust produced.

Cheers!

ATB

Tom

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Gas Board hammer? Coyuld you elaborate on the gunk tank please? I've used citric acid for brass before but not ferous metals. WHat sort of strength etc do you use and what sort of time.

Many thanks

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since I can get it cheap in 2 kg bags from the local brewing shop I I use quite a strong solution, for this hammer head which from its colouring I'd assumed was rusty steel, I'd put about 4 heaped tablespoons into a 2 pint container in which I'd put the head and topped it up with boiling water. Normally it just needs half an hour to dissolve any rust ( I should have realised when there were none of the usual bubbles and bad egg smell it wasn't iron. ) .

I don't think it's berilyium copper now as I did a test with a centre punch and hammer and the metal is incredibly soft and I can scratch it easily with a piece of soft brass. Whew. The B copper stuff I have is nearly as hard as steel.

I fitted the normal hammer handle in the end as any thicker handle was only going to be as strong as its thinnest section, which is where it fitted the eye on the head.

image.jpg1_zps2hkjwgj5.jpg

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice! I've ended up with two as they are quite common on boots as fewer and fewer know how to use them. Since all my saws tend to be old fadhioned enough to be worth re sharpening, good steel heat treated well up the blade, they have come in really handy.

ATB

Tom

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm afraid most of my saws are modern cheap hard-points bought at a discount from screwfix, but I keep looking for a decent "old school" one to sharpen and nurture. I'll find it one day, probably when I'm not even looking.

Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Er, thanks...

if its these ones your thinking of, I'm putting together some bits on my traditional shoestring to do a bit of forge work. It's been very haphazard, what's turned up on carboots mainly.

image.jpg1_zpsz1le6g8s.jpg

The only thing stopping me is I'd like to source a heat proof perforated tube with a threaded section before I drill a hole in the cast iron barbecue thing. I can rig some sort of blower as soon as I've something to attach it to. I've a source for locally made charcoal over Accrington way.

The sledge head ill fit into a bigger log when I can source a suitable one. I've also a decent large vice, the chisels I've recently shown in another thread, wire brushes, liquid containers and a obscene number of excellent files from tiny Swiss jobs to 14 inch mill files.

To actually batter I've, somewhere, a carrier bag of not worth restoring big, uk made files and can get hold of any amount of more for next to nowt.

ATB

Tom

Ps I've plenty of PPE, Leather aprons, gauntlets, ear defenders, eye protection and boots

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE