More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Fair enough. I've been on the look out for a few more sets recently and buying them is so much more time efficient than making them.

All the best

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got to the flea market at Huddersfeld today, saw a hefty leg vice but the guy wanted £80 for it which is too rich for my blood.

i did pick up what should be a decent saw when its cleaned up, a 54 inch champion toothed saw with the handle at the front for two man use. £5.

image.jpg1_zpskg1wd817.jpg

I've not found a makers mark yet, there's light rust and two tiny patches of pitting but the teeth look in excellent condition. Ill start cleaning it up and some other recent buys tomorrow.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hit three boots in the glorious sunshine, found some real good stuff for herself and a few bits for myself.

image.jpg1_zps6t3vrszh.jpg

The axe was a pound and I intend to re handle after I've cleaned it up ( the makers currently unreadable ) and reshaped it into a sort of right handed side axe. Ok not a true lopsided eye side axe but it will have to do

A few years back I picked up a Alladin No. 23 for £5.50 as the chimney was bust and the mantle was ripped. I got it home and discovered how much new chimneys were. 6 years later I turned up a new in its box replacement for £3! The guy said he has another at home so ill be going next week in case no ones got there first as a spare would be great. The local hard ware shop did have mantles for about 8 quid up on a high shelf. Ill see if they are still there. The wick looks fine, hardly used to be honest.

One of the boots was in Tescos car park so we shopped there for a change. Food grade linseed oil is two quid a 250ml / 8.5 fl oz. will try it on spoons instead of walnut oil.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Aye! It was thrown in with all the mundane / used and abused masons chisels which is why I got it for a quid! George Barnsley were top quality leather workers tool makers from 1836 until 2003. The factory was quite famous post abandonment being a favourite site for trespassing photographers documenting industrial decay.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Loving the Aladdin! I have lamp envy :)

Its dusted off real pretty

image.jpg1_zpsguv4ib3w.jpg

I just hope the hardware store still has a mantle as I'd like to get it into use ASAP.

I take it the normal parafin I put through my wick and pressure lamps is good enough for a mantle job?

Also if the local shp proves a bust can anyone point me towards a cheap source of aladdin mantles? Cheapest I've seen so far is 14.99 on eBay with free postage.

I can't believe the amount of dust I've let build up on my small lamp collection, Shows I've not used them for a few months.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! that's better, with any luck the £8 old stock ones will be there tomorrow when I go to the shops.

it turns out the 54 inch logging saw is a Disston. I've just derusted the fore handle and it's clearly stamped into the ferule. That's quite pleasing as the other Disston I have, (was new old stock in a hardware shop in Stockport where I used to go with the 3 lads in tow when they were young and cute. Anyway they let me have it for a song, either from pity or to get rid of us....) is a excellent saw.

I've cleaned up the metal work on the draw knife, will do the wood tomorrow, normally I'd knock the handles off and turn two new ones from a Carboot beech rolling pin but they've done the job for 100 plus years it seams a bit off to change them as they are a bit dirty/ worn until its really required. I didn't go mad polishing the steel either. I tend to go overboard.

The one pound axe weighs 1lb 6oz with the handle knocked off. Cooling lots I've ground the edge flat, then ground a bevel in from just one side, the other side I've worked as flat as I can without removing all the meat from the blade.

image.jpg1_zpsf1umeuph.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsdzvaulcj.jpg

I've no real experience with using small axes for more than chopping kindling to be honest. Any advice on handle shapes for using it for roughing out carvings, spoons and so on. I've some beech somewhere that should be big enough to make a handle.

While I was pickling the other irony bits I chucked in a odd little axe head I got from somewhere. It only weighs 10oz and its pretty badly pitted. I'm not sure it's worth putting a handle on.

image.jpg3_zpsyknno8iq.jpg

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tom: hindsight tells me that the total included bevel angle has a lot to do with carving success.
While there has to be enough steel behind the edge to support the service requirement, a big, thick steel wedge is hard to
push through wood with any finesse for any stage of carving.
My 7/75 Stubai carving adze is 25 degrees, so are my elbow and D-adzes. My gouges are 20, my crooked knives are 12.

Experience shows me that 30 degrees total included bevel angle is just too much effort with too little control.
Yes, I suppose there are those who can force that to work for carving. I'll do it the easy way.
With additional support, my wood plane blades are 30 and my spoke shaves are 28 degrees. No complaints whatsoever.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
That little Hults Bruks axe is really cute. It must be about the same size as those little Vaughan axes. Just right for teaspoon carving in the woods, or to keep by the fire for kindling.

Z

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
It's worth waiting on eBay auctions for loxon mantles, they sometimes go for single digit £'s or a job lot sometimes comes up?
I have used refined lamp oil and green Paraffin from a pump in my Aladdins and I didn't notice any difference, they burn very clean with much less smell than regular wick lamps.

Also it's worth getting a wick trimmer for a nice even flame.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just googled Chip Chop No. 1 as the makers name was pretty much gone and I'm strangely delighted that the thing was made by Gilpins of Cannock.

ill get the Tormek out tomorrow and put the final bevel on the right hand side.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
At the cost of 80 inches of not quite two by two, three rubble sacks opened up and a box of tacks here's my pat pending cobbled together 60 x 10inch citric acid saw blade bath. Available for birthday parties and bar mitzvahs..

image.jpg1_zpsc5fhy8hk.jpg

It's not leaking, I spilt the first bowl of warm, strong citric acid solution. , oops. As i don't trust the rubble sacks I didn't use boiling water for once, I will just leave it for longer...

Forgot to say, the blades stood on 4 small pebbles.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
And after 4 hrs pickling, rust is gone. Now to work though various grades of wet and dry with plenty of paint thinner as lubricant ( I usually save my dirty turps from modelling for this but I'm out ) and keeping away from the teeth. The wood works already done so as soon as I have the grey stuff off it it should be usable. I don't think the teeth need touching up at all.

image.jpg1_zpsfoxlwsb1.jpg

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I finally got around to restoring the Moulson 11 inch draw knife I got for £10. I didn't go mad at it for once, it's at least 100 years old, maybe 150 so I wanted to keep the patina. It's taken a really good edge, I'm trying it at 25 degrees. I flattened the back on a diamond stone but it was pretty good anyway. The handles were foul, it took for ever to sand the crud off and I've given them a few coats of linseed oil.

image.jpg2_zpseuukcn5f.jpg

Next ill make a edge guard. I've not decided whether to do another leather one or a wooden one this time.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE