More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yes please! I'm after two pound straight or cross pein hammers. Preferably wood handle (or no handle). a cross face cross pain would be ideal but very unlikely!

I'll keep an eye open, the place I go to has a completely random selection of secondhand tools. The bloke does house clearances as well as buying lots from the local implement sales.

I've had axeheads, padsaws, torque wrenches (top of the line mega insulated stuff) hammers, chisels, sockets, tap and dies, ratchets, drill bits, more files than you could shake a stick at, file cards, screwdrivers billhooks.
Sometimes he seems to have loads of one thing then not have any for ages.
All sorts of random stuff, sometimes see large circular sawblades (the old ones that don't have Tungsten carbide tips) but I'm not buying one of those unless I know for sure I can move it on.

Got a leather washered 20 ounce Estwing claw hammer you can have (for free if you pay postage) but as I only bought it for the washers it will need re-washering then the pins either peened over or maybe an M6 threaded rod welded on and two nyloc nuts to hold the steel end washer on.
So far I've not seen any hammers like that one you described above but its surprising what turns up there so anything is possible.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm well equipped for claw hammers (I like the the Estwing star wars "sure strike" type) thank you :). I will talk to my buddy about the circular saw blades - he runs a big old estate saw and struggles for blades - but clearly they need the right internal hole etc. Hes down at the Goodwood revival with his Bristol as we speak but will be back next week.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ill email before I go, last time I bounced off the sign explaining why he was shut. Nice chap will look for stuff you want and prices are very fair, a real enthusiast for old tools.

anyhoo, since the eldest gos back to school tomorrow with a arm in a sling and one leg looking like a sausage the wrapping over the graft donar site is so thick, I've been trying to get outstanding indoor projects done. So I've just derusted the bits got yesterday.

imagejpg2_zpsf11d9762.jpg

The leather groovers don't need sharpening ( which sadly won't stop me ) and ill give the turning bits a touch up when I next get the sharpening kit out.

Apart from the missing bits I wonder what I'd need for a minimalist pole lathe kit. A saw, something to use as centres, cordage since I'm not a masochist....

I'm not sure what to use on the tinplate to remove the rust without destroying the finish.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not much this time but I did get a nice walk in the sun and the wife got us bacon and egg sandwiches from the van.

imagejpg1_zps5e53f75f.jpg

For £2 a blacksmiths thingy, ( please insert correct name here ) should clean up well. It's pierced for a wooden handle and marked
VAUGHANS
DUDLEY
ENGLAND

50p got me the large file with cosmetic rust that should dissolved off. Walter Spencer & Co Ltd Sheffield. If its a dud it will go with the to be mad into something one day bag of old uk made files I have.

The horn spoon I got for 2 as its a good racing spoon size. It just needs a good wash.

pic to follow when restored.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Didn't get much this time out, a Swiss card for £1.50 that the middle son had off me before I got home, looked new.

There was a excellent tool stall at th Whinfields boot near Accrington, not much for me but got a 1.5 lb Bedford England boiler cleaning hammer ( wanted it to use as a creasing hammer, from the heat marks on the handle I suspect it was used in a forge before ) for a couple of quid ( replacement handle was a pound on a nearby stall, ) and a about new Nicolson 14" curved goose/crank necked file Ive wanted for certain jobs for a while. I think they may be designed for platers.

imagejpg1_zpse945c7c3.jpg

Will put up after photos when they are done.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I was looking for the two pounder cross peen when I found it as it happens , there was a big box of hammers and at first I thought I'd sorted you out but it's too light and the ends come to chisel points .

Atb

tomt

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah - not quite as you say - closest I've seen for a while though :)

I'm liking this weeks haul - would have bought both of them

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'll keep looking Red!

anyroad the weathers truely awful out so there's no weeding or digging going to happen today so I bashed on and cleaned up th tools and put on new handles.

imagejpg1_zps6725bd2c.jpg

The Nicolson Bodifile looks like its unused.

Now the hammer head is currently wedged on with a piece cut from the old handle and very tight. To be belt and braces sure Ive also soaked the head end in warm linseed oil for a few hours to swell the wood up some more.

imagejpg2_zps73091438.jpg

Now, I do have the right sized little steel wedge things that was used on the original handle at 90 degrees to the wooden wedge, heck I saved the one I drilled out for that matter, do I really need to use one?

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I reckon you'll get away without the metal wedge as long as you don't do more than three boilers a day :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Damn and there's me on piece work at the M. & L. R. T. Co. Ltd....

with the longer handle i hope it will do as a creasing hammer when I get some sort of forge set up.

I'm looking pretty hard for something to use as a anvil, Biggest thing I've got so far is a sledge hammer head and to be honest I'd like to keep that as is for, well hammmering things. A blower of some sort will be easy enough to rig and I've a cast iron barbecue hearth thing that's got potential for a base.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The rain held off so I I got a few bits. Best was a pretty much as new huge George Foreman grill thing to replace the one that we had used until the non stick started to flake off for £7 but that's not very bushy...

The wooden bowl was 50p, the 4 leather working bits were £2 the lot, the screwdrivers were 20p a ( will clean up lovely I reckon ), decent button hole scissors were a pound and the bag of wooden handles cost me a fiver.

imagejpg1_zpsbaf87b1e.jpg

I'd gone to the boot specifically to get the two handles bottom right to match the ones I'd put on three of the five Permagrit files herself got me. Luckily he had two left , normally they are three for a pound but he was in a good mood and said fiver the lot? Ok a fair number are rejects, split brass collars, chavelled wood etc but most of them can be recovered with a bit of work. Bargin say I. Some have the broad arrow mark most are beech or ash.

ATB

Tom

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
nice score! lol lucky bugger, sod all decent round here..

are those file handles? or just any stick tang type handle? bet you'll be able to handle every file you pick up for the next few years! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE