Modern bushcraft !?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Santaman, we'd already tried to move on....and while Kevlar might be fine for police and firefighters, (advice is for layering I believe to protect from both heat and water absorption as well as chemicals; where do you get it's by law ?
Toddy

Sorry to take so long but I missed this one on the first read. I get it from back about 15-20 years ago when all the fire departments had to replace their older bunker gear (actual fire fighting PPE) as well as their station wear because of changes to OSHA regs (which are administrative law)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's all interesting on here. In the spirit of detente started by macaroon I'd like to say I had a thick, densely knitted jumper bought by parents on a Greek island in summer for me. I was 19 and at university with their walking group every weekend. It got me through winter blizzards due to its windproof and water repellency. The latter due to lanolin. The lanolin washed out and it became a smelly, soggy mess but it worked like a good synthetic softshell about 15 years before they became the must have among hill walkers.

Wool like that works well but for me other things work in a better way taking all things together...for me. My only dislike is modern "technical" merino wool products. They wear through quickly in my experience. I've still got cupboards with clothes holed where rucksack backs wore through merino but not synthetic layers worn to one side or another of it. My helly Hansen top is on 27 years and counting. Somehow it still fits. I was a kid when I got it.

I think the only truth here is we're a diverse bunch as far as clothing and equipment goes. With as diverse views and outlooks. My way is not yours. It's not the right way neither just my way. Just as my "bushcraft" is different to yours. Not even sure mine is buwshcraft.

Anyway, to the op I'd say modern bushcraft is no different to old bushcraft. Ppl have always gone out with old style or new style kit. Or any combination. Iirc there are many hunter gatherer tribes who use traditional but would take a steel blade in a heartbeat. If something is better for you then the old then it is a form of luxury to turn it down IMHO. If you can live without a modern tool even though it helps, it is a sign of how our lives are really easier. The edge it gives you, sorry about the pun, is not needed. Once you needed all these little "edges" just to survive. Guess that's what happens when life skills become more hobby.

I digress, sorry.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I'll start off by saying I agree with you that this just a discussion between us with no ill will or insults intended.

Now down to the points you commented on:
-True the OP didn't specifically mention mangrove swamps or deserts. But so what? it didn'y exclude them either and that's where some of us do or have had some or most of our experience. I brought them into play to demonstrate hot climates such as you were talking about.

-I don't get into them much anymore for extended periods (haven't been to the desert at all in a few years now) but yes, at one time I did do long(ish) trips into both (a few days to a couple of weeks at a time) and nothing, absolutely nothing would have dried or been any better that what I was using clothing wise. As to a "wet/dry method, well yes it works for the first day or so until EVERYTHING is well and truly soaked. To be honest, as far as clothing goes, I rarely if ever use anything special that I don't simply wear every day. I DO try to adjust my clothing for the particulat climate. I.e. I wear different things here in Summer than I would in the Rockies in Winter. But in both cases, the clothing I wear when out hunting, fishing, canoeing, hiking, whatever, is the same clothing I'd be wearing anyway (some exceptions but not many)

-You mentioned "combats" as an alternative to blue jeans. I'm confused here. To me the term "combats" means a pair of military boots. Obviously that's not what you mean.

-True this thread is about discussing what's good. But that said it's also asking what we do; and I (like i suspect many) do is use what's to hand for clothing rather than buy something special just for this hobby. Not just because of cost, but frankly I'm just more comfortable in my daily wear (other equipment such as rucks/packs, canteens, etc. not so much so)
see everyone! this is how grown ups do it LOL. yes santa man I can completely see your stance on the issue
not saying I agree 100% with some of the points, but im going off my experience and you yours so there would never be a clear outcome
with both of us 100% happy. Good talk :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
To be honest, as far as clothing goes, I rarely if ever use anything special that I don't simply wear every day.

Pretty much that^ Often wear my work trousers when out and about, climbing and so on. I have a couple of Gore Tex jackets, ones a really nice lightweight UK army issue thing in cammo and the other is at totally the other end of the scale cos its in Railway worker orange Hi Viz, thing is its waterproof and as I wear it for work sometimes its always in my van.
Its mostly just the stuff I wear anyway, nothing really special.

Other gear? Well I have an axe but that's for firewood at home. I also have a couple of chainsaws.
Stoves? I have a selection, from petrol through meths to wood. Depends on where I am or which one I feel like using that day and sometimes a flask is better.
I like knives but don't feel like I need one every step I take, many days out I don't have one at all.

The thing about now is that we have a huge amount of choice and can pick and choose just which stuff we want that's modern and which is unchanged since the iron age, its mostly a hobby for us so we can potter about doing what we like within reason.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I was having a look at Paramo's helcon traveller jacket, a light weight mix of cotton and synthetic fabric. Can also be waterproofed with a nik wax treatment. Not sure if it would be good round a fire but who doesn't need 12 pockets :) best of both worlds or gimmick? I'll let you know if i buy one ;)

P-NIKWAXCOTTONPJACKETHALCONTRAVELLERUNISEXMOSS-1.jpg

Downside is I;d look like Liam Gallagher if I wore it :lmao:

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A quick question here. Regarding modern vs traditional, which of the following would you choose to transport your gear to the campsite if money were no object:

Choice 1: The most modern back backpack with the best suspension system?
-or-
Choice 2: A traditional compliment of native bearers?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Choice 1 - Actually today I was looking at a fancy new pack to replace my canvas and leather pack.

Bushcraft as a hobby starts and ends at different times for different people though... for me i'm not bushcrafting until I am actually doing something in the woods, be it bodging something, looking for food or generally applying myself using specific skills. If i'm walking with a pack on i'm hiking, if i'm pitching a tent, tarp or hammock i'm camping. Others consider hiking and camping to be part of bushcraft and good for them. Who am I to judge what people include in the scope of their hobby.

So, for me modern load carrying vs traditional load carrying... is a non-issue.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Fair enough. Given a choice myself, I'd like to try choice 2 (because I'd relish that big an expedition) or a pack mule in the West. I'd also like to try pack goats. And dog sledding.

If I were still young enough that is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE