Modern bushcraft !?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg598

Native
For me bushcraft does not say anything about what period gear should be used. Bushcraft is a set of skills. I think the whole "retro" movement in bushcraft when it comes to gear that you see in some places is completely disconnected from bushcraft itself. There is no reason why you can not do bushcraft in purely modern gear, in 18th century gear, in Neolithic gear, or anything in between.

I like modern gear and fabrics. In my experience, for the type of trips I undertake into the woods, they work better. No matter what materials and tools you use, you have to know their limitations and know how to use them properly. For example, if you wear synthetic clothing, do not sit directly on top of the fire, and you will be fine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
@johnboe522
Years of work in outdoor pursuits, a diploma in Fashion design leading to design work for Craghoppers amongst others and a ability to write, hit deadlines etc ... and being in the right place at the right time.
Mind you - what I earn would put it in the "hobby" category for most folk!
I have never reached the tax threshold and over the last 12 months I would have made an overall loss on the year if it was not for my relief work for Mencap!
But then - I have few needs: the house is paid for, the van is paid for, I have no kids.... and I live off my wife's income!

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Quite a lot of "bushcrafters" tend to drive to meet-ups and walk 50-100 yards with 300lb of gear!!! Perhaps you should qualify it as "Modern Bushcrafting = Glamping" :lmao: :lmao:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
A true bushcrafter is only using the most modern gear available to get the job done [better, faster, efficient, etc.]. Bushcraft is subject to evolution. In the early days humans used (pointy) sticks, later they used flint and more later iron tools appeared. If people used one and came across a more modern (better) tool: they wanted it ... Same principle is valid to this day.

Though, some people swing more to a specific period in time (stone age, bronze age, etc) that has their liking.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
surely all a bushcrafter needs to do is wear what ray mears wears, problem solved. He's got a great range on the woodlore website. Get saving folks. I wear jeans and a fleece, most the time. With a budget waterproof jacket. I'm still surviving, fingers get the most stick from hot pans, jackets ok tho. :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I see this Modern VS Skill thing much like I see Carp fishing VS Sea Fishing today:

For example, Today lot's of the carp guy's carry far to much crap, to the point motorized wheel barrows are available to carry, Bed chairs, Bivvies (not a bushy one more dome tent), the 6 rods, rod rest, Rod pod and alarms, Bait boat, the 80kg of boilies and mix baits, food (normally including a 24 tray of beer), and about a 1ft cube of Tackle.

Contrast that to the Sea guy's who carry, 1 or 2 rods, Rig wallet, Bit box, 2lb of leads, and bait, then Food say buttys and flask of coffee or bottle of pop, I will weigh my bag tomorrow and my Rod Bag.

Now the carp guy's have dedication but a serious lack of skill, they don't bother to pay attention to the fish biology and weather. You can give them a float rod point them towards a lake and say there is some nice 5lb carp in there here is the rod, end tackle and bait you need go catch one, they are at a total loss don't know how to set a float or rig maggots. But the Sea Guy's like myself, we pay attention to every damned thing, Tide, Moon phase, Weather, Fish Biology, Bait Biology, Water Salinity levels, even phase of tide, and that's just off the top of my head, and we have a far more limited choice of end tackle. And apart from the line and material the rod is made from we use the same stuff that our grandparents would have used and that is something I am trying to change in some part namely lures and bait additives, other than floatation suits.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I hope there isn't a "hard core" bushcraft scene as you put it. I think anyone should be able to use anything
at hand if its going to enrich there experience of the great outdoors, we are all individuals and that's what
makes this forum so interesting, some like flint and steel, give me a zippo anyday :-o.
Some are obsessed with foraging, im obsessed with smocking fish and the
aquasition of said fish. Difference is good, it keeps it interesting.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I see this Modern VS Skill thing much like I see Carp fishing VS Sea Fishing today:

For example, Today lot's of the carp guy's carry far to much crap, to the point motorized wheel barrows are available to carry, Bed chairs, Bivvies (not a bushy one more dome tent), the 6 rods, rod rest, Rod pod and alarms, Bait boat, the 80kg of boilies and mix baits, food (normally including a 24 tray of beer), and about a 1ft cube of Tackle.

Contrast that to the Sea guy's who carry, 1 or 2 rods, Rig wallet, Bit box, 2lb of leads, and bait, then Food say buttys and flask of coffee or bottle of pop, I will weigh my bag tomorrow and my Rod Bag.

Now the carp guy's have dedication but a serious lack of skill, they don't bother to pay attention to the fish biology and weather. You can give them a float rod point them towards a lake and say there is some nice 5lb carp in there here is the rod, end tackle and bait you need go catch one, they are at a total loss don't know how to set a float or rig maggots. But the Sea Guy's like myself, we pay attention to every damned thing, Tide, Moon phase, Weather, Fish Biology, Bait Biology, Water Salinity levels, even phase of tide, and that's just off the top of my head, and we have a far more limited choice of end tackle. And apart from the line and material the rod is made from we use the same stuff that our grandparents would have used and that is something I am trying to change in some part namely lures and bait additives, other than floatation suits.
I think you will find carp anglers have equal views about sea anglers, the inability to read water, the blindly throwing
bait into the sea, the use of way over the top heavy tackle to water ski in fish, the fact that the vast majority
have never even felt a fish fight and would not know what to do if they did.
But there just the stupid ones that think they can generalise on another mans sport and think they have
the right to put it down even tho they have no idea what they are talking about :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
To be honest, there is but I think some if it is through choice, some through necessity.

Let me put this in a way I have already used Fishing,
You should learn how to find a crab in a rock pool and how to catch a fish with a hand line before you move onto a long rod and reel, and you should learn to use a basic set up before moving to a 16ft beach caster and braid. And the skills along with that level, for instance learn the overhead lob and master it before you attempt to learn the pendulum cast etc. Bus there is somthing to be said for KISS tactics, for example, I often find a handline more suitable and fun than using a rod and reel (an it's a skill most advanced fishermen forget). Now some people chose to use the basic skills because they are fun and educational, others use it because they have little else or it just works for them on a personal level when it comes to a mix of tech.

A example of this for me is, I use a Mini Alice pack I waxed myself, with a pair of basic wellies (not through choice Size 14 feet limit choice), M65 combats, ****s, Jumper and Waxed jacket for 90% of my winter sea fishing. For the most part it's natural materials because they work and I find them more comfortable than the modern neoprene outfits that I have tried and used many off with little success or comfort. The only modern bit of cloathing is a self inflating life jacket, in leu of a floatation suit and that only gets used when I am in the water (most of my winter marks are on the banks of the Mersey). My Summer outfit is Shirt, Cargo Pants, Surf sandles, cap, sun glasses and depending on location the same life jacket.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I think you will find carp anglers have equal views about sea anglers, the inability to read water, the blindly throwing
bait into the sea, the use of way over the top heavy tackle to water ski in fish, the fact that the vast majority
have never even felt a fish fight and would not know what to do if they did.
But there just the stupid ones that think they can generalise on another mans sport and think they have
the right to put it down even tho they have no idea what they are talking about :)

I take that onboard, but I tend to disagree. I have tried the Carp sceen and I am going from my own personal experience of Carp fishing.
This could be down to differing skill sets, Reading the Sea or Estuary is not the same as reading the Canal or Lake, I am not disagreeing that I could be wrong as I have only done the carp weekender thing a few time and I always tend to set up another rod and go for Roach etc at the same time. I was not trying to be disparaging about others hobby as we are for the most part the same.
What I was trying to point out is, some people tend to use all the modern tech but could have a better time using a mix of old and new or basic skills.
Lots of sea anglers tend to forget the basics, just like the carp guys in my example do. As I said a lot of Carp guys don't know basic float techniques and baits other than boilies are alien to them, in sea fishing from a pier foget that they don't need to use that beach caster a hand line will be just as fun. And alot of them tend to forget or never learn how to collect there own bait even as simple as rockpooling for peeler crabs (the most expensive sea bait by weight).

I guess what I was trying to say is, in every skill there is a amount of rust or I'll skip that, and I feel that people should keep the skills sharp from the basics up.
But in coarse fishing I am not in favor of places that stock fish well over size in small lakes Like Carp or Catfish, that you can see happening in most corners of the country. Just so you know I have a ND in Gamekeeping an countryside management (and something else I wont go into atm), one of the fisheries modules was Commercial Carp fisheries, so I do have a basic grounding in what I am talking about at least from a textbook and fisheries management POV.

And again I am not being disparaging about Carp fishing but (or any part of the hobby),but I personally see more lack of skill in carp anglers who pick up the hobby from a friend than from some one who specifically wants to target Carp who is a general course angler, for example in a Tackle shop I have heard carp fishermen moaning about large specimin Tench taking carp baits, a Large tench is still a nice fish, it might not be what your after but god damn enjoy that fish. And this is a Council owned lake in a park where the 30lb Carp they where targeting was found floating belly up 10 years ago and when last netted the last Carp in double digits was 13lb. Then they will bugger off to places like Gigantica for a weekend and fish the same baits all week long, that others have used all year that Maxima or Korda happen to be pushing (looking at you Cell / Scopex), right in the middle of a nearly featureless lake. I would put a £100 on me VS pro carp guy on catching the bigger fish with me using naturals than the pro using boilies.
I am not trying to cast dispersions but my personal view of Commercial Carp is one of lack of skill, dont get me wrong they are dedicated and some are truly skilled but most are over accessoriesed that use the "THIS SEASON MUST HAVE", than focusing on what works.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
bushcraft is the original ultralight camping, but coming from the uk, I'll never be much good at it.

A few things have vastly improved bushcraft.

Recently

Synthetic waterproofing (not gortex)- far lighter
wood burning cooker - far more labour saving
synthetic rope - far stronger and more reliable

but as others have said knowledge not possesions, so it is still contrary to equipment. Equipment that wears out, needs charging or servicing isn't something that you can really link to Bushcraft

edit:

quick dry clothing a good one too(baaad pockets on the crackoppers.......IMHO !!!!)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I take that onboard, but I tend to disagree. I have tried the Carp sceen and I am going from my own personal experience of Carp fishing.
This could be down to differing skill sets, Reading the Sea or Estuary is not the same as reading the Canal or Lake, I am not disagreeing that I could be wrong as I have only done the carp weekender thing a few time and I always tend to set up another rod and go for Roach etc at the same time. I was not trying to be disparaging about others hobby as we are for the most part the same.
What I was trying to point out is, some people tend to use all the modern tech but could have a better time using a mix of old and new or basic skills.
Lots of sea anglers tend to forget the basics, just like the carp guys in my example do. As I said a lot of Carp guys don't know basic float techniques and baits other than boilies are alien to them, in sea fishing from a pier foget that they don't need to use that beach caster a hand line will be just as fun. And alot of them tend to forget or never learn how to collect there own bait even as simple as rockpooling for peeler crabs (the most expensive sea bait by weight).

I guess what I was trying to say is, in every skill there is a amount of rust or I'll skip that, and I feel that people should keep the skills sharp from the basics up.
But in coarse fishing I am not in favor of places that stock fish well over size in small lakes Like Carp or Catfish, that you can see happening in most corners of the country. Just so you know I have a ND in Gamekeeping an countryside management (and something else I wont go into atm), one of the fisheries modules was Commercial Carp fisheries, so I do have a basic grounding in what I am talking about at least from a textbook and fisheries management POV.

And again I am not being disparaging about Carp fishing but (or any part of the hobby),but I personally see more lack of skill in carp anglers who pick up the hobby from a friend than from some one who specifically wants to target Carp who is a general course angler, for example in a Tackle shop I have heard carp fishermen moaning about large specimin Tench taking carp baits, a Large tench is still a nice fish, it might not be what your after but god damn enjoy that fish. And this is a Council owned lake in a park where the 30lb Carp they where targeting was found floating belly up 10 years ago and when last netted the last Carp in double digits was 13lb. Then they will bugger off to places like Gigantica for a weekend and fish the same baits all week long, that others have used all year that Maxima or Korda happen to be pushing (looking at you Cell / Scopex), right in the middle of a nearly featureless lake. I would put a £100 on me VS pro carp guy on catching the bigger fish with me using naturals than the pro using boilies.
I am not trying to cast dispersions but my personal view of Commercial Carp is one of lack of skill, dont get me wrong they are dedicated and some are truly skilled but most are over accessoriesed that use the "THIS SEASON MUST HAVE", than focusing on what works.
well that's fare enough, but you will find that in all aspects of the sport infact any sport, the need to keep up with the joneses, to look the part, its just like fashion.
one year the carp boys will be into stainless steel, few years down the line everything is real tree, but also being a sea angler
for many years, I am fully aware that sea anglers are just the same, one year everyone "needed" floatation suits no matter where
they where fishing, all looking like ridiculous power rangers, another you "had to be using a pulley rig even when fishing over
clean sand? my point is they are exactly the same, you cant just attack a group of the sport when its very much pot calling kettle
black, there are all the gear no idea idiots everywhere.
We don't all fish commercials much the same as not every sea angler gets there sole enjoyment from flinging out
mackerel feathers, thos guys that turn up just for macky season and crowd the harbour arms leaving rubbish, drinking
being dangerous ect should not paint all sea anglers with the same brush! or( in my view) boat fishing requires no skill
if the skipper has put you on a spot and your able to reel up an 80lb conger, that lacks any skill whatsoever.
You see, this is the same as the noddys fishing the over stocked commercials!
You have raised a good point tho, and I have been banging on for years about this, you have to start at the bottom
to fully enjoy the top, my first fish was a little roach caught on a dried up lob worm on a 50lb class boat rod and reel,
this had me hooked and ive spent a lifetime chasing the dream, my best carp being a 54lb true brit mirror, 29lb pike
and best sea fish 21lb shore caught smoothound and a 13lb bass, you see ive come a long way since I was 7
and it hasn't been easy but ive enjoyed every minute of it.
The thing people miss out on is that journey. they get on that commercial or go on that deep sea wrecking trip with dad
and there catching double fig fish on there first session, there are 2 things that will discourage a youngster
or new guy from taking up a life of fishing and that's 1, not catching anything not even a goby first time out,
and the bigger more destructive one in my book 2, getting straight into big fish, they assume that its easy,
that there a great angler, and it has no chance of holding there interest.
So as fore starting out basic we agree.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Dump, yea for basics we agree but as I said there is a whole genration of fishermen who are not learning the basics.

Can I just say I like your last post but I am going to bed, let me reread it and post a propper response in the morning.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally..kit wise...I started with kit that I had to hand when I left the forces..didn't see the need to go buying anything, but then I got the bug and started buying all sorts....my problem is I enjoy the high mountains as well as the low woodlands so my kit now spans the everything from Goretex and E-vent to Ventile and Wool. I have Plastic Mountain boots and full grain leather boots, I have a lovely Gransfors SFA and a cheap Frosts Mora (as well as various others ;-D )

My point is you carry/wear the kit that YOU as an INDIVIDUAL want to carry..doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, as long as you're happy and you know you have prepared yourself for the worst whilst you're out and about then happy days.
Prior planning and preparation is the key enjoying yourself in the out doors whether thats one night out in the woods or 6 months trekking overseas...not what Joe 'I'm a Bushy God' Bloggs says you have to wear!
Obviously it is adviseable to look around, try different bits of kit, take advice from people who have had alot of experience..but like I've already said we're all Individuals and what suits me may not suit Jim, Bob, Susan and Tom...but it might suit Billy, Wilbur, Henry and Big Dave!!
And thats all I have to say about that....:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nope; look at any of the folks who wear modern fabrics around fires for any length of time at all.....it's all spark holed :(

M

Yep, they should leave the blooming fire alone and not sit so close. I have NO holes in my sythetic jackets and two of them have been used for ten years of camping near fires, neither does my lad, neither does my best camping buddy but then we don't faff with a fire, we just light it and enjoy it :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Personally..kit wise...I started with kit that I had to hand when I left the forces..didn't see the need to go buying anything, but then I got the bug and started buying all sorts....my problem is I enjoy the high mountains as well as the low woodlands so my kit now spans the everything from Goretex and E-vent to Ventile and Wool. I have Plastic Mountain boots and full grain leather boots, I have a lovely Gransfors SFA and a cheap Frosts Mora (as well as various others ;-D )

My point is you carry/wear the kit that YOU as an INDIVIDUAL want to carry..doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, as long as you're happy and you know you have prepared yourself for the worst whilst you're out and about then happy days.
Prior planning and preparation is the key enjoying yourself in the out doors whether thats one night out in the woods or 6 months trekking overseas...not what Joe 'I'm a Bushy God' Bloggs says you have to wear!
Obviously it is adviseable to look around, try different bits of kit, take advice from people who have had alot of experience..but like I've already said we're all Individuals and what suits me may not suit Jim, Bob, Susan and Tom...but it might suit Billy, Wilbur, Henry and Big Dave!!
And thats all I have to say about that....:)

That about sums it up for me too.
Share info about what you like and how it works.
But wear and use what you want...

Best.

C.

rg598

Native
Yep, they should leave the blooming fire alone and not sit so close. I have NO holes in my sythetic jackets and two of them have been used for ten years of camping near fires, neither does my lad, neither does my best camping buddy but then we don't faff with a fire, we just light it and enjoy it :)

I have to back rik on this one 100%. I wear almost exclusively synthetic clothing, and have done so for over a decade, and I have no holes in my clothing. Like I said before, the trick in not to sit directly on top of the fire. Knowing how to maintain a fire and get the one you need is an important part of bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE