Modded SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Well, what else do you do when held captive by the inclement weather!

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but finally got round to doing it! This is my, now legal, EDC, what used to be a locking SAK. I removed the sideplates and the lock and replaced the red plastic with laburnum.

swiss.jpg

The other knife is a small antler and pewter neck knife with a 70mm lauri blade.

Hope you like them!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
That's interesting, how did you go about removing the lock, was it quite easy ?

I like those larger saks as the blade and saw are a good size, but don't like edc'ing them due to the lock, didn't think about removing it. Rescaling I've done before on smaller saks and is great fun.

Cheers, Paul

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Dead easy!

When you remove the scale with the sliding lock mechanism in it, you've removed the lock. The external sliding bit has a spring loaded locating pin built on to it that locks the blade through the inner plate. Once you remove the side scale, and with that the locking slide, you've de-locked it! Just replace the red bits with something a bit prettier and don't even consider the lock, as without the slider it doesn't exist!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one mate.
I've done tons of SAK mods for members here. Everything from carbon fibre to brass, most woods etc. They certainly benefit from it aesthetically. :)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Dead easy!

When you remove the scale with the sliding lock mechanism in it, you've removed the lock. The external sliding bit has a spring loaded locating pin built on to it that locks the blade through the inner plate. Once you remove the side scale, and with that the locking slide, you've de-locked it! Just replace the red bits with something a bit prettier and don't even consider the lock, as without the slider it doesn't exist!

Great, didn't realise it was that easy !

Now to look out some nice bits of wood :)

Cheers, Paul

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Just put something thinbetween the inner side plates and the red bits and lever gently. I used a craft type knife. The red bits are only located on the three body pins that run through the knife, so they'll just 'pop' off!

If you change your mind after removing the original scales, I would imagine that you could easily replace them with just a smear of epoxy on the pin ends and leave the whole lot in a vise overnight!

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE