Mobile phones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For the Zeis lens I agree with you Stu, but I cannot be having with the windows phone :rolleyes:. Am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S and liking it. Pics are good enough to use, easy to use and android apps that I like such as Google Sky Map, NASA Space Weather, Flickr and such. It does my email fine when I'm out too and syncs up well with the laptop. All the sorts of things I need :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
For the Zeis lens I agree with you Stu, but I cannot be having with the windows phone :rolleyes:. Am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S and liking it. Pics are good enough to use, easy to use and android apps that I like such as Google Sky Map, NASA Space Weather, Flickr and such. It does my email fine when I'm out too and syncs up well with the laptop. All the sorts of things I need :)

Erm.....you've lost me a bit to be honest Elen, I never mentioned a Zeis (sic) lens, in fact, the only thing I said about cameras on phones is that I don't need one :confused:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I use a galaxy S3. I bought a double capacity battery for it + a spare. I want all the bells and whistles as it is effectively a backup GPS. I can also run a few apps that help my life when im out like weather updates and a gps tracking app which acts a bit like a spot beacon. Touch screens work as well as anything else in the cold in my experience. I can understand the mantra of a simple phone but ive never struggled with battery power. I just switch the phone off when not in use and the standby time is infinate ish :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I use a galaxy S3. I bought a double capacity battery for it + a spare. I want all the bells and whistles as it is effectively a backup GPS. I can also run a few apps that help my life when im out like weather updates and a gps tracking app which acts a bit like a spot beacon. Touch screens work as well as anything else in the cold in my experience. I can understand the mantra of a simple phone but ive never struggled with battery power. I just switch the phone off when not in use and the standby time is infinate ish :)

Thanks for that Paul, I think the galaxy S3 is rapidly becoming the smart phone of choice, probably for the ability to easily swap batteries as much as anything else. I'm due an upgrade from my HTC soon and a galaxy of some description is probably what I'll go for.

I don't use GPS personally but I can see the value in having a back up if it's something you do use regularly.

I don't really have the option of switching the phone off through the day so battery life is mega important to me.

I hope the packing's going well mate, all the best for the trip.

Stuart.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I can get 6 days out of one of the double batteries with the phone left on. The good thing is you can turn off everything apart from calls through the battery management system to prolong life.

Packing has begun buddy. The saracen is done. Just two det bags to fill :D

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I can get 6 days out of one of the double batteries with the phone left on. The good thing is you can turn off everything apart from calls through the battery management system to prolong life.

Packing has begun buddy. The saracen is done. Just two det bags to fill :D

6 days isn't too bad at all, it would still leave me needing at least three batteries though for the length of time I tend to go without seeing a plug socket.

Glad to hear the packing's going well mate, looking forwarding to catching up and hearing all about it when you get back :)

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Currently have a iPhone 5s for "everyday" use. I have a cheap Nokia for going camping as it get through an entire week on one charge and was so cheap it's disposable.
I've got a Brunton Hydrogen Fuel Cell on order, might consider getting a waterproof / impact proof case for the iPhone once it arrives.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Currently have a iPhone 5s for "everyday" use. I have a cheap Nokia for going camping as it get through an entire week on one charge and was so cheap it's disposable.
I've got a Brunton Hydrogen Fuel Cell on order, might consider getting a waterproof / impact proof case for the iPhone once it arrives.

Sounds like we share a very similar approach.

What's a "Brunton Hydrogen Fuel Cell"? Sounds interesting :)

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
One question springs to mind, What did you all do before these abominations were invented? Surely I'm not the only one on here old enough to remember those happy days when going out into the woods meant getting away from the everyday world.

Alan.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
One question springs to mind, What did you all do before these abominations were invented? Surely I'm not the only one on here old enough to remember those happy days when going out into the woods meant getting away from the everyday world.

Alan.

I coped absolutely fine before mobile phones. For me though getting out into the woods quite often means being at work so getting away from things isn't really an option :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I go for a 2 phone approach. S4 for all the gizmos, tapatalk etc and a waterproof rugged jobby for outdoors.

http://regmedia.co.uk/2008/04/21/rh_110_front.jpg

I do take the s4 out occasionally, but keep a ziploc bag handy in case it rains.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Same approach here really mate, HTC for keeping me entertained, nokia for keeping me in touch.

Any chance of a little more info on the samsung that you linked to?

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Paul what batteries are they and what app do you use to turn things off.
I have tried loads and even with my extended batteries I only get 20 hours or so then need to change batts.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE