Mobile phones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I am thinking of getting one for my Norway trip next month buddy.

Pete, Teepee, put me on to them.

I run a Sony Experia but rubbish for the great out doors!

Best.

Chris.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Stuart,

Tescos were selling the Nokia100 over Xmas for £7 each.

I bought 3. :p

Spare chargers and batteries all round.

Great little phone, does what I want a phone to do - make calls.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Stuart,

Tescos were selling the Nokia100 over Xmas for £7 each.

I bought 3. :p

Spare chargers and batteries all round.

Great little phone, does what I want a phone to do - make calls.

I'd have grabbed a couple of spares if I'd spotted them Martin, but looking at the nokia 105 that Chris linked to I might grab one of those next, a quick google brings them up at £15 so still not gonna break the bank :) (just a shame they don't come in baby pink)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Same approach here really mate, HTC for keeping me entertained, nokia for keeping me in touch.

Any chance of a little more info on the samsung that you linked to?

Its a Samsung SGH-M110.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-solid-sgh-m110_Mobile-Phone_review

The torch on it has saved a room full of people from food poisoning when I used it to check out a dimly lit buffet and found the vol au vents were covered in blue mould!

They are pretty cheap off tinterweb. Pretty good little phone, tough as old boots.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Its a Samsung SGH-M110.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-solid-sgh-m110_Mobile-Phone_review

The torch on it has saved a room full of people from food poisoning when I used it to check out a buffet and found the vol au vents were covered in blue mould!

They are pretty cheap off tinterweb.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Thanks for that, I shall have a read of the review later. There's a torch on the nokia 100 too, great little bonus feature :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Spare batteries or a battery bank solve the power problems. The biggest battery saver is just turn the phone off until you need it; any phone just for calls will last for weeks that way. My old camping phones were a Nokia 3310, then an HTC G1 but now with spare batteries/battery bank I use an S2 or HD7 for camping. I tell the wife/son/daughter what times I'll make a call and turn the phone on or they can phone me; usually 21:00 and on for 30 minutes. Carry the spare power if you want to use other phone functions or pack something like the nokia100 (fully charged) in your FAK?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Spare batteries or a battery bank solve the power problems. The biggest battery saver is just turn the phone off until you need it; any phone just for calls will last for weeks that way. My old camping phones were a Nokia 3310, then an HTC G1 but now with spare batteries/battery bank I use an S2 or HD7 for camping. I tell the wife/son/daughter what times I'll make a call and turn the phone on or they can phone me; usually 21:00 and on for 30 minutes. Carry the spare power if you want to use other phone functions or pack something like the nokia100 (fully charged) in your FAK?

If I'm at work Rik I have to have my phone turned on, for about 16 hours a day, it's not for people from home to contact me, it's for people from work to contact me.
If I'm away for a social camp then I do pretty much exactly what you suggest, HTC in my pocket, nokia packed away for just in case :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Just out of interest have you looked at the Nokia 208 ? Ok cost more at about £60 but works on a micro SIM, so you can take it out ur smart phone and plug into the Nokia for the weekend. Standby 20days. Also a version with out camera.

Plus you can share the internet like a dongle, so if you did take ur tablet
Or smartphone you can link though the net.

Also very bright colours :)

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Paul what batteries are they and what app do you use to turn things off.
I have tried loads and even with my extended batteries I only get 20 hours or so then need to change batts.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

something like this mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000mAh-E...994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27dcc6dde2

easy battery saver is what i use mate. the 6 days still needs me to turn it off when asleep :) i use the super power saving mode which only allows calls and texts through

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Some bloke called Stu (bit of a dodgy northerner TBH) put me on to them first. :D

Top bloke from what I've heard of him, even tolerates wide boy painter/decorators on occasion.

Mr Brains............ ;)

Colour screens? Slow down there maestro!

Dragged kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat :)

Just out of interest have you looked at the Nokia 208 ? Ok cost more at about £60 but works on a micro SIM, so you can take it out ur smart phone and plug into the Nokia for the weekend. Standby 20days. Also a version with out camera.

Plus you can share the internet like a dongle, so if you did take ur tablet
Or smartphone you can link though the net.

Also very bright colours :)

My HTC works on a standard SIM card Tank, so I can do that anyway. It's something I should probably consider when I upgrade my day-to-day phone though.

Can anyone tell me what kind of SIM card the galaxy phones take?

Cheers,

Stuart.

Elen Sentier

Erm.....you've lost me a bit to be honest Elen, I never mentioned a Zeis (sic) lens, in fact, the only thing I said about cameras on phones is that I don't need one :confused:

Sorry Stu, I phrased that wrong. I meant I like the Nokia too and one of my reasons is its photo-ability. The only reason I don't have one is the windows phone. The camera is one of my reasons for having a mobile phone, everyone's different :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50000mAh-...UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&var=&hash=item2c7a20f0db

Thats a lot of phone charges chap. I think the 50,000 is in fact nearer to about 35,000mAh but it will keep your phone going for ages or charge your tablet several times.

Again, the simple solution is and regardless of model, turn the phone off until needed or just carry a couple of spare phone batteries for occasional use.

For those of us old enough, 'power' issues have always been there. My first transistor radio used a PP3 battery IIRC (back in the 60's) and my choice was...be careful how I used the radio or carry a spare battery; I always took a spare battery. Back then you'd have your 'Ever Ready' torch with two or three 'C' cell batteries which if you were lucky would give you a couple of hours continuous use and look now when we moan about a smart phone that runs out after a day or less but in that time lets you have GPS, music, video, camera, email, internet browsing etc...are we pampered these days lol.

Yes, we are :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Sorry Stu, I phrased that wrong. I meant I like the Nokia too and one of my reasons is its photo-ability. The only reason I don't have one is the windows phone. The camera is one of my reasons for having a mobile phone, everyone's different :)

Still kinda baffled Elen, the nokia in the article has neither a camera nor windows OS, did you read the blog?

....Again, the simple solution is and regardless of model, turn the phone off until needed or just carry a couple of spare phone batteries for occasional use....

That may well be the best solution for some people Rik, but for me personally an even simpler solution is to use a nokia 100, I wrote a piece on my blog about it if you or anyone else would like to have a read :)

Here's a link: http://stuartsgettingthereslowly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/mobile-phones-for-outdoors.html

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE