Mobile phones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Stu, you should know I can't stay inside the box! And your op did ask what are others' thoughts about phones for the outdoors, what do you use and why.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sorry Elen, when you said "the Nokia" I thought you were referring to the same Nokia that I'd written about (which, as I'm sure you know has neither a camera nor windows OS). I'm now thinking that maybe you were referring to a different model of nokia, presumably one with a camera and windows OS.

Which phone do you use Elen? And why?

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sorry Elen, when you said "the Nokia" I thought you were referring to the same Nokia that I'd written about (which, as I'm sure you know has neither a camera nor windows OS). I'm now thinking that maybe you were referring to a different model of nokia, presumably one with a camera and windows OS.

Which phone do you use Elen? And why?

I was offered versions of the Lumia with my contract when I renewed at the end of last year. It's camera is probably the best according to the reviews and the phone camera is what I use the phone for a lot when out - camping, hiking, travelling, etc. Am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S and liking it. Pics are good enough to use, it's easy to use and has the android apps I like such as Google Sky Map (which is ace for star gazing), NASA Space Weather (which is fun), Flickr to upload my pix. it even has Kindle on it so I can read in my hammock if I've forgotten the real Kindle :rolleyes:

It does my email fine when I need it (occasionally, even if being bushie) and syncs up well with the laptop for when i get home again. I can message/phone Hubby, and he me, in cases of emergency provided I'm somewhere I can get a signal which is about 50-60% of the places I go :D. These are the sorts of things I need when in bushie mode.

I need a smartphone for when I'm out and not doing bushie things as I need to keep in touch with students, publishers, etc, etc :rolleyes:, so I get one that covers as many bases as possible. As I said in another post, we're all different :) and your post has sparked off lots of interesting ideas.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I never thought I would get into all this hitec gear ,mobile phones,gps,sat nav and tablets But I have after 60 years of managing without them , It was only a few years back that I even started using a computer , now when we are away from home I rely on my tablet and mobile (Nokia Lumia ) and back them both up with either 12 volt power from my VW camper T4 or a back up in form of solar charger , my mob has a good camera 12 megapixel , windows 8 op system ,gps , satnav , etc etc .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE