Miserable day again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Weather never bothered whatever it was doing, since my throat nerve illness, i long for dry warm sun, inhaling ice cold winds is not good for me, and living here its like this alot of the year even in summer the wind can be chilly. If money was no problem id be searching for hot dry climates.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Perhaps 10 days of dry weather since beginning of Nov

Fields are trashed - bush craft site ain't a bush craft site

Parachute destroyed last night

Ducks, geese and sheep living in what looks like the Somme

Totally peed off with it - no sign of change ahead

will it ever end?

5 days in the woods next week in only a shelter (yet to be made) and fire (yet to be lit !) - no sleeping bag, no bivi bag and of course no tent/hammock etc

Bottle of rum though so not all bad !

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the worst of it is the incredible sleepiness that overcomes me.
I'm like a half shut knife, and I find myself curled up and snoozing instead of being busy :eek:
I know it's just the low light levels and the peace and quiet in the house, but it's incredibly hard to be motivated enough to do anything.

Friends who keep livestock on smallholdings are having a miserable time this Winter; some have cleared out sheds and stable blocks to bring everything under shelter, but it's costing them a fortune in feed and bedding.

Surprising that we don't all wash down the river into the sea some days.
I tell you though, the ptb better have gotten things right with the reservoirs; there'll be ructions if they slap hosepipe bans on folks this Summer coming.
Will all this water refill the acquifers too though ?
We don't use them up here, well, maybe a few farms apart, and even there there's generally a handy burn nearby.

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Chalk aquifers down South refilling.

Mud boards called platchers as worn by the Mastodon in Ransome's Secret Water.

I like the mud horse used on muddy estuaries
mudhorse.2.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have never known the like for rain this winter, we've been lucky compared to lots , just plans put on hold mainly but it does get you down. Even little things like finishing painting the windows in one of the lads room I've had to put off all day so far. Bad enough I still have a chest infection but I can't even open the windows without the rain hammering in. Trivial stuff but it impacts on other things.

So I just baked a massive dried fruit bannock and had a obscenely large slice with lots of butter. Not the lightest I've done as I put in loads of fruit in and piled it up thick it's not a surprise, but as comfort food the stodgyness has done its trick and the world looks a better place.

I hope it improves for you all, I'm just going to do what I can as I can keep putting things off.

ATB

Tom

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Now the names gone from my head, you know the medieval wooden overshoes (sounds like plate?) that they wore outside if it was muddy? Someone should make you a pair, can make them slightly bigger for better displacement/floatation.
mud-pattens?

I'm sure I saw a drawing of some that looked like giant bowls on each foot. can't find it now

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Weirdly I was just thinking of pattens when I wrote my ramble below, thinking the wood and leather bits would be easy and regretting not being able to weld/fabricate the metal rings on the sort I'm thinking about.

http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/158051

in the house I wear slippers but when going out to the bins it's too wet, I could just slip into a pair of these, potter back and forth rather the pulling on wellies or messing with laces.

atb

tom

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Today started off pretty grey and miserable. We had already planned a drive round to Oban for some fish and chips, so headed off wrapped up for storm conditions. It quickly cleared up though, and after running round screaming for a bit due to the mysterious burning ball in the sky, I found I even needed my sunglasses for driving. Was also able to pull over and light the ol' storm kettle and make a brew for the clan. Made me feel a tad bushcrafty.

Roll on the proper decent weather

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's been a lovely day here too :) Very icy start, and then sunny :)
Supposed to stay dry and drop to -3C
Just when all the Spring buds are starting to come out too :rolleyes:
The light was a pleasure though :D

M

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Popped over the border to Berwick upon tweed for lunch, and it was cold wet, then light sleet, accordi g to this mornings weather all this area, well from Fife to Newcastle maybe in for snow on Sunday, we shall see.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It has been another beautiful, if cold, day here :D Sunny and calm, and outside is full of birdsong :)
I've thoroughly enjoyed my wander today :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rain ? that's so yesterday :rolleyes:
It's freezing slush this morning. White is my world.
It's not a nice white though it's a slippy sodden wet white.

I think I'm going to go and do some quilting. Bushcrafting can wait.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Rain rain go away, come back another day ....

Amen to that!!! The last couple of days had seen the very top of the ground beginning to dry out a little, but today we've had persistent rain again so it's back to square one :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE