Miserable day again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am thoroughly scunnered with this weather.
It's pouring, again. I's cold and windy, again. It's dark skies and heavy cloud, again.
:sigh:

I do get out for a wander, I do nip in and out of the garden, and my greenhouse is full of colour already, but I'm longing for some light, some dry week or so, a little less mud and a little more sunshine :)

I know it's early yet, but Spring is trying hard to be here, I'd like to be able to get out and enjoy it :)

M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I woke up to a beautiful clear sunny day down here, the sort you'd love to go for a bimble on but instead I'm full of a stinking chest infection, coughing my guts up with no inclination to go for a walk :(

Just to add to it it's now clouded over and started to rain :rolleyes:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I echo your sentiments completely, M, I've never given in to the weather, however dire, until this year; it's been absolutely relentless and everything has been very deep mud for the the past four months. All this has come on already very wet ground which hasn't really dried out for the past few years and the contractors in the woodland hereabouts have continued with the eight wheeler harvesting and forwardind machines throughout.

It's an alien landscape now and the damage will take a good few years to recover, we have many places where the ruts are four feet deep, criss-crossing footpaths and rights of way for many miles of tracks. Much of the local area is quite literally unrecognisable and certainly unnavigable on foot unless you want to go on a seriously dirty and uncomfortable scramble.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You cheerful bunch ...
emoticon-00140-rofl.gif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It may be chunking it down here but I'm happy. We Scots have as many names for rain as Eskimos for snow. Its only going in one direction at a time, and not bouncing back up again to head height so its just mildly dreich, not a thrawn day at all. Have been out for a wee walk to loosen my back and joints, as well as to try out the gills that we seem to be evolving up here. (Well they all have webbed fingers and toes in Norfolk ;) ).
I like the feel of rain on my face, maybe I'm soft in the head but it lets you know you're alive; even if you wish you weren't while getting soaked. I put it down to never quite being a grown up; as the odd Ex has let on. But you get to put on your big boots, don the cool high plains drifter stockman jacket that flutters dramatically in the wind, and stare out enigmatically from under a wide brimmed hat like Odin himself.
I like weather, like Bill Hicks said to his lizard like friend who lived in sunny monoweathered L.A., "Hey I can afford coats, scarves, coffee and rosey cheeked women."
Rain makes you think, thrive and appreciate coming in, rubbing down with a rough towel then curling up for the afternoon with a book while the monsoon outside beats staccato like against the glass.
I like the rain.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My husband has just come in from his daily walk. He's sodden wet, chilled, and the house is yet again, full of wet boots, jacket, trousers, gloves, and dripping onto old towels.
He says it's miserable out.

I like walking in the rain, but this has been utterly relentless. The icy cold wind isn't helping, right enough. I don't ever remember the mud being so bad, and I have done a lot of field walking.

Mac ? it sounds as though your area's worse than ours for the wandering :sigh:
Heavy machinery like that just devastates a land.

I think I'm in for the day. I'll go and do some sewing :)

M

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Wet, windy but with some blue in the sky here in Bristol. Even though it'll funk it down later it doesn't really matter. The old trees get blown down and make way for new growth, the rain washes the minging roads and streets and waters the ground.

All process of British living. ;)

Sure makes us run for the door when it's sunny or just not rough!

My only issue is the kids wrecking the house to blow off steam and the wife wanting to play boardgames lol.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Beach this afternoon with the dog, he likes the sea and loves leaving a ball floating for me to fetch so one way or another i'll be wet. Walk in the rain yesterday, very refreshing as wife is nursing a new knee and we have the home heat up a bit high for my taste. But she will be out on the beach with us this afternoon trying to find solid sand for her sticks as she walks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do snow shoes work on mud ?

M

Depends on the type of mud. Bushwear in Stirling/Perth stock those new wellies that help you walk over soft mud without sinking, some wildfowlers use then so they don't disappear like a razorclam in the estuary mud. Supposedly very good.
Now the names gone from my head, you know the medieval wooden overshoes (sounds like plate?) that they wore outside if it was muddy? Someone should make you a pair, can make them slightly bigger for better displacement/floatation.
I've often thought that tightly woven willow footplates would be guie handy for where its boggy.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Brilliantly sunny day, blue cloudless sky and around 12 c.

I've been stuck indoors looking at the mould that has formed in a hard to access cupboard. :(

I'll be fitting a vent in the coming weeks methinks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's lovely and sunny in W Yorks today, a fresh wind but not a bad day at all. It's a shame we're doing family visits today instead of getting out, but Tromso on Thursday so life's not all bad :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Crazy weather!
Daffs out a month early
Feb Daffs.jpg
and half the woods blown down!
Feb blowdown.jpg
When will it end!
What about the children - will no one think about the children!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE