Men of Inspiration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Nelson
Ernest Shackleton
George Stephenson

Others mentioned but had to mention again as my top

James Cook
Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Baden Powell
Wilfred Thesiger

• Love
Reactions: TeeDee

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Roger Bushell : Royal Air Force Squadron Leader and head of Escape Committee for Stalag Luft III 1943-1944
rb.jpg

Honorable mention for Yoshie Shiratori though not a son of the British empire his determination is testament to the adage...
Where there's a will, there is a way.

Jailed for a crime he did not commit escaped four times from Japanese prisons, twice from 'escape proof' cells. Without any outside assistance.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So as Lockdown rolls on and there have been some previous comments regarding including the feminine contributions I'm happy to welcome any females from History that inspire you and you feel have had their contributions overlooked.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Caroline ??? (surname omitted to protect honour) - the first female to drop her guard and say 'yes', thus taking the heat (as it were) off a nation's female population.
Salut.

I'm a bit concerned of the " ??? " - Is it a case of your memory going or you just weren't sure??

:)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I've had a quick look through the posts, so I don't think I'm repeating an entry:

Another Welshman (well, someone's got to :)) -

Sir Henry Morten Stanley - born John Rowland - if for no other reason than he demonstrated that it's not your background that necessarily limits achievement. He was in St Asaph workhouse as a 'b****d' child but went on to become a great explorer and campaigner. Although, by modern standards, some consider him to have been a cruel man.

(apparently I'm not allowed to use the English word that describes born out of wedlock :))

Alfred Russel Wallace - the Welshman that Charles Darwin shafted :)

He finally got a well deserved place in the National history museum of London.
I was doing some work at Derby museum & asked the curator if I could have a cheeky look through the microscope of Charles Darwin’s dad(Erasmus Darwin).She told me that Charles Darwin would have definitely used it.
Well i cant afford an original Origin of species book..but I felt privileged to hold & look through the eye piece. I can still smell the brass now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE