A Walk Back Home...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
A truly excellent, riveting, humbling story. I look forward very much to the book!

I was lucky enough to meet an ex-Selous Scout (Rhodesian 'infantry') once. He was in his late 50s and was still nails. His description of equipment and SOPs was very similar to what you have discussed above. He also mentioned his liking of the FN-FAL: a rifle well suited to open country/veld.

Regardless of the politics involved, I feel that many of these men were 'true' soldiers in all senses of the word.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
A very interesting post Zackerty, you have my utmost respect as a fellow Soldier, it never fails to amaze me how resilient we humans can be, and for that matter, the situations we humans will find ourselves in, all in all a very humbling story that gives perspective to our chosen hobby and what we can do if we really have to…

Thanks for sharing.

Karl

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Don't know how I have missed this...Amazing story, but I didn't understand a lot of the termanology used, having not served. Thank you for sharing Zackerty...

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
I am working in an office at the moment, so I carry a slightly padded Ritter kit, and ARC LSH, spare CR123, and Shrade Lock Back Knife in my waistcoat pocket...

I carry the same gear, today...except the ARC has been shelved to "rest", and a Fenix L2DCE, plus 4 spare cells, in it's place...
I have added an Opinel #8 Inox, and more wadding for tinder...Thanks, Bogflogger!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow!
I only just came across this thread and I am impressed - not many folk have such a story to tell!
I once knew a chap who had a similar career path to you who also had tales to tell that turned my hair white!

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Much respect Zackerty,

I know it took a lot of courage to re-tell your story, the passage of time also helps.

Regardless of the politics of the time, and whatever one's opinion is, individual soldiers like yourself have my utmost respect and admiration, the stories of all the people involved and their fight for survival deserve to be told.

Again Zackerty, thanks.

Frank

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, thank you for telling your story. You are an amazing person to go through all that and come out sane. I think that others including myself would have gone off the deep end if that had happened to me. Thank you again, you are a very brave and strong person.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Just found this quite by accident.

Zackerty you are an amazing bloke. I doff my hat to you and glad to see you're still around.

Respect sir

What he said mate.I for one know I could'nt do what you have done.Can we have some more please?:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE