The Aboriginal Fire Piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
UPDATED AFTER A MEETING WITH A NEW TRIBE

This is the modified text of an article I wrote for the Malaysian Naturalist. September Issue 2008 Since it is not likely to be easily available, and as our BCUK mag is not likely to be out for awhile I thought some people might be interested in it . It is also a way of thanking Tony and BCUK for all the knowledge, disputation, entertainment and fun over the years.

Galemys is effectively co-author as he proofed it, improved it, provided references and also steered me in my field work. He can't be blamed for anything but deserves at least half the credit. Darrell Aune (firemaker) and EdRead (Ed4sobrevivencia) are also to be thanked for providing photos of their work in the original article and for advice.

“Naik, naik” urges the voice from the gloom as my eyes adjust to the change from bright sun to shade, inviting me to climb into his hut near the edge of the jungle.

“I have been expecting you”, he tells me, “for the past three days”, testifying to the efficiency of the bush telegraph in this remote pristine rainforest in Malaysia where there is no phone service and communication is by radio .

“They said there was someone who was not asking the usual questions”, he smiles, extending his hand as I sit down on the floor of his 10 by 20 foot wood and bark hut. I join his wife and two little boys, one armed with a wooden toy gun that shoots pebbles.

Light comes through the small doorless entrance and a window, which perfectly frames the forest and the plateau of the Endau-Rompin watershed.

P5030218.jpg

We make small talk and I enquire about his family. He tells me that he has been suffering from a hot and cold fever for a few days which is why he is in the hut and not in the kampong. His description of what seems like malaria makes me aware of the fragility of life here and my lack of insect repellent.

P5030223.jpg

The proto Malay Jakun are the only known people who still use the fire piston and my visit is to document whatever knowledge remains of this unique and ingenious device. Most aboriginal people make fire by two basic methods: either by friction, rubbing two sticks together; or by percussion, striking stone on stone or stone on metal . All these methods depend on having particular rock or certain plants readily available. Lack of suitable wood, or rocks, means no fire.

The Jakun and some other peoples of South East Asia were far more sophisticated using precision engineering and a knowledge of the behaviour of gases, to produce fire by compression wherever or whenever they needed it .

Early accounts by European travellers barely conceal their amazement when the natives lit their hand rolled cigarettes with these “cigarette lighters”. Some even suggested that the device should be brought back to Europe

The fire piston operates on the same principle as the diesel engine. It is a hollow cylinder closed on one end, with a moveable piston/plunger that creates an airtight seal. There is a shallow depression at the end of the piston where combustible tinder is placed. When the piston is rammed into the cylinder, air is rapidly compressed to about 500 psi: the temperature rises to about 300 degrees C and the tinder ignites. The piston is pulled out swiftly and the now glowing tinder used to start a fire or light a cigarette.

While the fire piston has all but disappeared in aboriginal Asia, it has an enthusiastic following in the West among woodworkers, hobbyists, bush-crafters and pyrologists.

Modern fire pistons are made in workshops with electric powered tools using metal and acrylics as well as traditional wood and bone. The precision needed to make a device that can compress air at a 25:1 ratio requires great skill even using modern tools. Modern makers have long wondered how it was possible to do this, with only simple tools, in a rainforest . I was hoping that Ameng would be able to tell me.

“We use a hand spun drill”, he says, miming the action of a wooden spindle rubbed between his palms.

“But we don’t let it get too hot” he replies to my query.

“We dip the tip in water too cool it down”.

I am amazed. I thought he would describe a metal drill or auger and some kind of jig, or frame, to keep the drill shaft straight as is done in Borneo to make wooden blowpipes. An amateur fire maker myself, I know how difficult a hand spun tool would be to use and imagine the concentration and skill needed to bore a straight hole. That they use a wooden drill suggests that the technology is very old.

“It takes about two weeks”, he says. “The outside of the cylinder is the carved from a block of wood and a matching piston is made”. The favourite woods are tempenis (Streblus elongatus) and something called gombang which I do not recognise.

To make the piston airtight, fibre from the terap tree (Artocarpus elasticus), which is used for bark clothes traditionally, is wound around the end of the piston to make a gasket, or seal. To lubricate it a drop of fish oil is put on the fibre. Nowadays, jute fibre from gunny sacks is used.

The tinder is a mixture made of the sun-dried woolly scurf found between the layers of the tukas palm a.k.a. Burmese Fish Tail Palm (Caryota mitis) and the charred fibre of what remains of the manioc leaf when it has been scorched in a pan. This is similar to the Iban and Dusun method of tinder preparation in Borneo.

Ameng’s description of cylinder making also casts doubt on one theory of how the people of South East Asia discovered fire by compression. While making wooden blowpipes, the theory goes, dust accumulates in the incomplete bore and if the maker rams the drill up and down the barrel to clear it, the compression might sometimes ignite the dry dust .

The Jakun use wooden blowpipes but do not drill holes to make the barrel. Rather, they split the future blowpipe lengthwise and cut a matching groove in each half, which is then rejoined and tightly seized with rattan and glued with dammar (resin). The bore is then sanded smooth with rattan. The inspiration, for the Jakun at least, must have come from elsewhere.

Another theory suggests that the fire piston was introduced to Asia by Europeans . Certainly the fire syringe, a similar device made of metal, was patented in Europe in the early 1800’s. Earlier records mention dust igniting and flying sparks emerging when air guns were fired .

Still, this theory doesn’t explain why it was the most remote of forest dwellers who allegedly reverse-engineered the device making it out of wood. More probable candidates would be the metallurgicaly more advanced peoples in the region such as the Bruneian and Malaccan armourers, renowned for their cannons and muskets, or the Chinese trading communities. Another problem with this theory is that it fails to take into account the slow pace of dissemination of new technology into the remoter regions of the Malay archipelago. Fire pistons do not appear to have been trade goods shipped out in commercial quantities and indeed in Europe they were soon replaced as fire starters by the matchstick invented a few years after the fire syringe patent was registered . The device continued to be made -with glass or acrylic cylinders- as a scientific curiosity for demonstrations of the thermodynamics laws)

A third possibility is that it was introduced to South East Asia by early contact with South India. Artifacts have been discovered in Adichanalur that appear to be fire pistons dating from 1000 BC . But the Indian devices are made of metal like the European fire syringe and South East Asian ones are predominantly wood or bamboo. Indeed it is more likely that the technology was discovered separately.

in one case , it seems that the technology travelled in the opposite direction. In the 1870’s Carl von Linde, a physicist and head of the Thermodynamics laboratory of what later became the Technical University of Munich gave a talk in Penang while on a tour of the Far East. He was given a fire piston as a souvenir. On his return to Germany, he gave a “show and tell” to his students ending the talk by lighting a cigarette with his new fire piston. One of his assistants was Rudolf Diesel, the inventor of the diesel engine which was patented a number of years after the lecture .

It would seem then that it is not the fire piston that operates on the Diesel principle, but the diesel engine which operates on the Jakun principle!

Whatever the origin, the fire piston started to disappear in South East Asia by the early 1900s and there are few, if any, written accounts after that. Ameng tells me that the api lantak (fire piston) began disappearing as matches made their way to the Jakun. However, the perang Jepun (the WW2 Japanese war) led to its revival. War stopped trade and the Jakun headed for the hills to avoid the Japanese. The men still needed their cigarettes. Matches were scarce so they returned to the fire piston and a dependable and renewable technology was passed on to a further two generations in this remote community.

Elsewhere , in the South East Asian it had seemingly vanished and was almost unknown in the West, outside museums. Old technology does not die it just fades away.

Then in the 1970s, a US Navy helicopter landed in the Philippine jungle and its crew met a aborigines. Cigarettes were offered and accepted. To the surprise of the soldiers, the natives used a strange device to light the cigarettes. One of the soldiers, survival instructor Mel de Weese, traded a Zippo lighter and some chewing gum for a fire piston. de Weese later returned to the US but by then, not being the pilot, could not remember where he had obtained the piston. De Weese introduced the fire piston to a wider audience and so started the revival of this 'primitive' fire starting method in the West Other people began to make them and today beautifully turned fire pistons are made and sold on eBay and elsewhere . Eventually, pyrologists began to ask whether they were still used by traditional societies?

I had been collaborating with Tom Lourens, an expert on ancient fire making methods in the paleotropics*. Steered by his research, we had ‘found’ the traditional tinder for the Borneo fire piston while recording another fire making technique. So we thought that we would try and find the answer to that question. A chance meeting in Cameron Highlands with Francis Cheong, a Johore Parks manager led me to Endau Rompin where villagers directed me to Ameng and a couple of other men who showed me their pistons.

This one is old elephant ivory

P5030209.jpg

P5030215.jpg

Wood

P5030221down.jpg

The joy of finding the device was marred by the realization that they are in danger of losing their technology. The skills needed to make a fire piston reside with a very small number of men. For the younger Jakun, the api lantak is an old peoples device and they are not overly interested in it. Even middle- aged men told me they had never made one. Most use lighters now.

When visitors come to the park their interest is in watching blow pipe demonstrations and trap making. The fire piston, like the intricate bamboo and string puzzles made by the Jakun is considered just a curiosity, a toy, rather than the products of highly sophisticated minds with an acute understanding of the properties of the natural world around them.

The issue is not that the Jakun have lost their intellectual property. Most indigenous peoples are pleased when told that their medical ethnobotanical knowledge, is used in modern societies. The Jakun are likely to be proud that their technology is incorporated in the engines of the industrial world and is still appreciated by craftsmen in its original application.

Credit has given by international scholars and historians . Museums elsewhere such as the Smithsonian, the Pitt Rivers, the British Museum and several European museums have permanent displays of fire pistons. The Musee de Paleontologie in France has just completed a year long exhibition of the art and science of fire making including fire pistons from Malaya and Borneo. But there are no displays evident in the museums in KL or Singapore. Three fire pistons are found in Jakarta.

Sadly, there is no recognition and understanding in their own country, or even among the Jakun themselves, of their achievements and heritage.

Those interested in the journey there can find it at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30531

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
Thanks BOD, great stuff. I did not know how they made their blowguns over there. I believed that idea that the invention of the firepiston might be related. The article dispells that myth. I've made functional firepistons of wood using an electric drill. It would be a challenge to make one using only Stone Age tools. No real point in doing so. Why go to all the trouble drilling out a firepiston when the drill itself will make a fire?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks Bod, brilliantly informative as ever. Tom was kind enough to pass on some of the reference material he had when I attempted my own home made job. As you point out the creation of a fully functioning fire piston isn't easy even when using modern power tools and materials.

I'm still playing around with mine in an attempt (mostly failed) to get it to work. The grain of the wood, I've now come to understand, is quite key. I used a beech body for mine and although I thought beech to be quite a tight grained wood the compression still forces air out, as evidenced by immersing the bottom in a sink of water and thwacking (technical term) the plunger. The beech had been left to dry and season for just over a year.

I'm now thinking of cheating completely by using brass tube liner and a knob of milliput to seal the bottom; not very traditional I admit. To create one of these by using a 'primitive' drill and tools simply beggars belief.

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
Like I said in Paleo, Great work to everyone who worked on this, especially BOD who is doing all the footwork in the jungle! This took a lot of research. Also like I said, you can see the modern bits of housewares in the background, it would not have been long before this knowledge would have truly been lost forever. Again, well put together!

I didn't think that the blowgun was related to the fire piston. I'm glad to see that we were ale to find it out for sure.

I was thinking more on the theory that the fire piston came from a bit more North in Asia. I was thinking about China's invention of gun powder. I thought, well if in the west, if we were able to figure this out in Europe from an air gun, maybe it was also found the same way in the East, in China. The blackpowder gun was invented in 500AD but I could not find reference to air guns. BUT I did find out the history of gun powder:

Who knows how long ago, it was discovered that when you throw green bamboo on a fire, it explodes and makes a loud boom. When it was discovered to scare animals, it was used for that and eventually to scare away bad spirts. So after they discovered blackpowder, they put it in the bamboo and put that on the fire for a bigger BOOM, and the first fireworks were invented. I wonder if there is a link here, if more experimenting took place that led to the fire piston? This would go further back into the BC timeline. Anyway, the history was interesting.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
“Boleh dapat api?” asked Bilu passing his cigarette to me along the circle sitting on the floor.

This request for a light was not as innocent as it sounds. It was a test of me as a greenhorn fire piston user and of Ed Read’s acrylic fire piston. It was also a test of my charcloth making having made my first and only batch just two weeks before. In a way it was a test of the modern fire makers by the old.

Those familiar with fire piston history will remember that the piston lighter and cigarettes are intimately linked. Mel de Weese, the father of the modern fire piston, saw his first when his aircrew offered cigarettes to natives who then lit them with fire pistons to the crews surprise. European travellers also were surprised when the natives lit their cigarettes possibly faster than them with a flint and steel or tinderbox. Rudolph Diesel, inventor of the diesel engine saw his first native fire piston when his supervisor Prof. Von Linde lit a cigarette after a show and tell lecture and during WW2 the Jakun started building fire pistons again due to the shortage of matches so they could light their cigarettes.

Even if unintended it was a challenge. This almost certainly was the first time that a modern man was asked to light a native’s cigarette with a fire piston.

I was in this situation because we had dropped in on Rahim, a Semaq Tasek paddle maker, to talk to him about fire pistons. He put aside his work and we went to his hut.

What followed was a comedy that is echoed weekly in my house and millions of homes in the modern world. He looked worried. The kids had been playing with his stuff and the piston was missing from the set. He said he’d try and look for it again. He rummaged among his stuff called out to his wife, mother-in-law and grandmother “Have you seen a fire piston?”. He may have said something stronger than that since he spoke to them in an old Khmer language that I did not understand. But this universal situation transcended language.

Finally he emerged with his pistonless set and two other intact pistons. He said he’d try and get the others to work. One had no gasket and the other gasket was quite worn. The Semalai pistons are quite loose and rely heavily on the gasket for an effective seal. He had no replacement fibre available and though I had some fresh terap it had yet to be pounded, parted and dried.

This is how they collect terap. Just like people elsewhere. No other fibre works as well as this they say.

He rewound the worn gasket and few times and tried it. Still no luck. He tried again ensuring that the fibres were damp to provide a good seal. The Semalai make the gasket wet before use to plump up the fibre. I think at also acts as a lubricant to help speed up the plunger on the down stroke as well. They usually spit but his old lady used water out of politeness to visitors

PC060137Small.jpg

Their pistons are like their dugouts – simple but elegant lines. There was none of the decoration or detail like the Jakun pistons I encountered in May.

I had managed to get one of the woods used in piston manufacture - Penaga, or Ceylon Ironwood, from a tree that had been felled in the village graveyard. The most favoured wood is resak. However , the forestry data suggest that they have very similar properties.

PC070170Small.jpg

Having difficulty with the gasket he turned to the bore and took out his cleaning kit. It is a section of slim rattan called rotan batu (stone rattan) with one end fuzzed. Its better than a cotton bud. A very effective tool. He kindly gave me enough for three pistons.

PC070197firepistonsSmall.jpg

Clockwise from 10 – charcloth; Semelai piston; lulut (palm fibre tinder); gouger; Ed’s Piston; rotan batu cleaning rods; tobacco on a pallas palm leaf (roll up cigarette)

Rahim was having no luck resuscitating the old pistons. I felt sorry for him having had that experience in doing a bow drill demo. Then someone mentioned I had a piston and he was stressed again. He had figured out by our conversation I wasn’t just a tourist but now I had a piston as well. These are very polite and hospitable people and he did not ask to see it but carried on trying to tweak his piston. He was not unhappy with his tinder it was a compression problem.

That’s when Bilu asked his question and the stress flicked like a wicked spirit from Rahim to me!

I had only used a fire piston about a dozen times and made an ember maybe 6 or 7 times. I am actually not a fire piston fan preferring simpler methods. It’s the ethno-technology (for want of a better word) – the use, manufacture, materials and social aspects of the process that fascinates me.

It should have been Darrell Aune or Jeff Wagner here not me. But I was the “chosen” one. And Ed’s piston had seized up the night before after a friend had played with it. I think the O ring had become burry without any silicone grease and the tight fit and compression coupled with friction made it almost impossible to push down.

I spat on the gasket, Semaq style, and rubbed it over the O ring, balled up my charcloth and placed it in the cup. Gingerly twisted the piton into the bore and inverted it and rammed the head down hard onto my hat on the floor slats. Beautiful little flash! Whipped it out and the little darling bundle was aglow. I lit that cigarette and inhaled deep (I am an ex-smoker!).

“You better pass me another one”, I told Bilu, “I’m smoking this one” which he did.

I was not aware of the symbolism of the event till much later after some reflection. Rahim, while a piston user and knowledgeable, is not a maker despite his skill with wood. These pitons belonged to his father.

This community is dispersed around a large freshwater lake. I had managed to visit two villages two hours apart by motorboat. There are three more to visit, two of which were not accessible at the time of my visit. There I am told I might find a fire piston maker.

The flame is certainly passing from the old world to the new and while I am pleased that it is well tended by devoted followers in the West, its loss in this world fills me with a great sadness, not the grief of losing a loved one, but a heavy feeling that one might get if you watched the last remaining wild elephant or polar bear die.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
great post. I think it telling how much we can learn from other communities. The irony is as they modernise they lose knowledge. I agree its sad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE