Mears and Spyderco

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thanks for that Stew! Interesting story! I'd have thought he'd have been more inclined to collaborate with Fallkniven to be honest. Wish he had! More chance i'd have bought one. That's just my personal taste though.

Yep, I know what you mean. I wonder if it is a case of because he had already started a dialogue with Spyderco about the fixed blade that he just happened to carry on talking about the folder. A sort of, "Oh, by the way...."

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Yep, I know what you mean. I wonder if it is a case of because he had already started a dialogue with Spyderco about the fixed blade that he just happened to carry on talking about the folder. A sort of, "Oh, by the way...."

Probably a good way of getting his name and brand better known to the American public as well. I'm not sure how big he is in the USA.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The book was reprinted the year after it first came out but hadn't been since.

Probably because of all the cheaper kit he reccomended back then :lmao:

As for the knife.....;nearly all spydercos look weird before you handle them
Never been a fan of the hole, as said before, a gunk magnet

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm not sure how big he is in the USA.

I'd imagine roughly the same size as he is in the U.K.

More seriously, though, I emailed Woodlore to try and find out more about this new venture and they are playing their cards very close to their chest, giving nothing away about cost, thickness of the blade, availability (other than Spring 2016...) and suggesting that I keep an eye on their website.

On the strength of this polite but nevertheless firm brush off, I went and ordered an Enzo folder from Brisa. It looks much, much nicer than the 'WolfSpyder' and will probably be cheaper, too.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think this is one of those things that none of us are going to actually be able to form a proper opinion on until we see and use one, I talked to Spyderco a while ago about it and it's only going to be sold by Woodlore, I presume they're thinking their own market is big enough without the Spyderco fans that would snap up the knife just because it's a Spyderco, good luck to them on that, it may just be that Woodlore have paid Spyderco to produce a knife for them, which is unusual but I can't see how else it's set up.

I hope it all goes well for them and it's a good knife, time will tell, I'd ask them for one to review but I doubt they'd be forthcoming :D

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
$_35.JPG

We do mean this one?
Just to hijack the thread again briefly, is this the book that later came out as The Complete Outdoor Handbook, and later still as Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook?

Maybe I should add something about the knife to make up for it: I'm not a fan of Spydercos aesthetically & won't be buying this one. I've got nothing against using folders outdoors though (in fact it's my SAK that usually sees most use when I'm out). I do in fact own a Spyderco; got it in a swap, and it's my go-to knife for little jobs at home. Might not look pretty, but that hole and the One-handed opening it gives you is so handy.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I don't think he hated folders just thought that they were not as safe to use as a fixed blade, there's an opinel mentioned in his first book and he uses a falky tk4 on his walkabout series a few years ago.

AnOpinel 7 at that - too small for my taste - I use a 9 or at a pinch an 8....
I do not like the look of the Spidy - it has a hole in it!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
the multitude of grips and holds that are used in bushcraft make it too limited to be useful.

Thats a bit strong dude. its made by a reputable manufacturer, and is a knife, so i'm confident it will be useful....weather its as comfortable to use as it could be for a given situation is debatable though

Its not something i would buy anyways due to it being too expensive, and, well.....why not just use a fixed blade, esp if i'm expecting to use it enough that comfort becomes an issue

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I can only find a picture of one side of the blade with the name Spyderco and the steel type stamped/etched. Will the other have Ray Mears branding? If so I'm sure they'll fly from the Woodlore warehouse. Shape wise it strikes me as very conservative compared with the wider Spyderco catalogue.

As someone has already mentioned Spyderco take no prisoners when prioritising function over form so hopefully the knife design we see fully realises RM's vision for a folder with ergonomics worthy of his name but why, oh why he has not specified something more interesting and inkeeping with the softer side of the Woodlore brand in the context of scales colour is beyond me. Far better to leave the overtly 'tactical' black stuff to BG please.

But what do I know!

K

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
So much hate for the Spyder-hole. I find the hole in the blade works so well for one handed opening that my UKPK is almost always in my pocket, despite thinking it is a rather ugly knife with no soul. Also, since the holes tend to be on the large side on Soydercos, I've never had a problem with crud getting stuck in there.

I'll admit they are a stupid aditiont o a fixed blade though..

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I'm fine with the hole, some of the knives I'm not keen on but for the most part they're great.

As for the Book, the survival handbook is by far my favourite of Rays books, we should have had a separate thread on rays books :D

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I like the look of that, looks really nice and I am damn sure it will be a quality piece of kit given its designer and given the manufacturer. Have to say I've only got limited experience with Spyderco knives that being a gift I received of a UKPK which I absolutely love and I am now practically inseparable from. Never go anyplace with it. And a model of Spyderco that I don't recall the name of which again was a very very nice piece of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE