Mears and Spyderco

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks dreadful. ...
Why not stick to an enzo 75 ...!?!?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Because it's a Spyderco collaboration.

I don't care if it looks cool or not, as long it is an exemplary made knife, and is comfortable and useable. Which Spyderco is renowned for without the RM name.

Last edited:
Looks dreadful. ...
Why not stick to an enzo 75 ...!?!?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes that was the first thing I thought when I looked at it for the first time - it's pretty much the exact same, puukko blade shape and (optional with the Enzo) steel.

Price will be interesting on this one. I got the Enzo 75 with S30V and CF scales for around the £100 mark (Finnish website sent to my home in France). It's a fantastic little whittler/ carver and always sits in the breast pocket of my walking jacket for when I do my forest walks.

Having said that, the scandi grind is great on wood - but I prefer a FFG longer blade for EDC (food prep mainly). I got a Southard Tolk for christmas and it hasn't left my pocket - dream knife!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I don't think he hated folders just thought that they were not as safe to use as a fixed blade, there's an opinel mentioned in his first book and he uses a falky tk4 on his walkabout series a few years ago.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
He uses a folder at times in the program where he makes the birch bark canoe. There is a general view within bushcraft that you have to use a fixed blade knife, but with modern designs, I'm not so sure this is the case.

J

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I don't think he hated folders just thought that they were not as safe to use as a fixed blade, there's an opinel mentioned in his first book and he uses a falky tk4 on his walkabout series a few years ago.

i know and your right but he hates his first book (hence refused the re print) and the tk4 well who knows so won't guess.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
And nothing to do with this thread I have two knife cuts one was a opinel failed on me (on a simple cut) and another a leuku which was my stupid fault.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
$_35.JPG

We do mean this one?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Spoke to someone who worked at woodlore, hence my comment. Great book for everything and its without the expensive kit. Going back to the knife, pot and blanket as such.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Im intrigued by this first book of his, never come across it before. I seem to have amassed most of Rays books over time from various places, second hand or otherwise. I wonder why he refused a reprint?

As for the knife, not my cup o tea.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I don't recall Ray Mears using any Spyderco knives in the shows that I've seen. Did he mention them any time in his books? I'm probably wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time but is this not just a money making thing for all concerned?

Personally, i'm not a fan of Spyderco knives,never have been, but each to their own.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Im intrigued by this first book of his, never come across it before. I seem to have amassed most of Rays books over time from various places, second hand or otherwise. I wonder why he refused a reprint?

As for the knife, not my cup o tea.

Look out for a copy, easily his best book imo

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don't recall Ray Mears using any Spyderco knives in the shows that I've seen. Did he mention them any time in his books? I'm probably wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time but is this not just a money making thing for all concerned?

Personally, i'm not a fan of Spyderco knives,never have been, but each to their own.

I've never seen him use one before but post #48 here tells how it came about:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums...Mears-folder&p=2447739&viewfull=1#post2447739

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE