Maybe worth a watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Then the programme was a success.Do it.You never know until you try.The professional chairmaker on there said he had only recieved a weeks worth of tuition.

You can please some folk ect...

K_FLEET

Feb 6, 2010
Grimsby
I don't think the competition was done in a bad way really. More light hearted than I expected. I especially liked it when the other two stopped to help the guy who messed his leg up.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I'm glad I recorded the show because it was far more enjoyable for me - I got to skip through all the emotional tears and BS. To be brutally honest, I can't imagine a bodger back in the day taking on someone who needs so much emotional support to get on with it and get the job done.

On the positive side, we actually saw some tools, some real wood, and some work being done on the wood. Shocking stuff!

Jokes aside, I think we need to remember that we who share a passion for the skills and crafts are a minority and whilst a few production companies do make programs for niche markets, broadcasters will only choose programmes that appeal to a wider audience. (No thanks to BARB and the television viewing statistics for narrowing our options to the lowest common denominator.)

Maybe we need to seek out our own source of infotainment. Does anyone know of any other videos out there like Green Pete's Knife Making Video? I still love watching it and since it's free to download, I really want to give something back by doing something similar. If only I had a skill that people would like to learn more about.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Bearing in mind we are seeing 6 weeks edited down to 1 hour I wouldn't want to judge Guys teaching, the contestants ability or whatever. As with all these reality type shows if you run cameras for long enough you can edit it to tell whatever story you like and there is no question that the sort of tensions shown are what the majority of viewers want to watch. I do think the competitive element is a bit of a shame, those of us that run courses in greenwoodworking know that one of the pleasures is the fun that folk always have learning new skills together. It never matters if some folk come in with different skill levels, everyone progresses and enjoys the experience, the atmosphere is always supportive, fun to do but maybe not as exciting to watch.

Personally I think it is a good thing to see stuff like this out for the masses and it will undoubtedly inspire some to go out and play.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I missed it, and most of my family have phoned to tell me about it :-(
Is there any way of re watching it, i looked at the iplayer, but thats a streaming system and my poor internet connection cant handle it in a way that is watchable.

Any ideas - although having read through this i suspect i might be disapointed with the 'show'.
Still want to see it though.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I found it informative, timings for steaming, orientation of grain in joints etc., but there were a number of point that should not have been shown... sizes given mixing metric and imperial, chisel being hit with a hammer and power tools being used in the forest. I too didn't enjoy the competitive element, it just turns it into CHAIR FACTOR
jon

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Is there any way of re watching it, i looked at the iplayer, but thats a streaming system and my poor internet connection cant handle it in a way that is watchable.

Any ideas - although having read through this i suspect i might be disapointed with the 'show'.

I could copy it off my recorder onto a DVD. Anyone know how much postage of a DVD costs? Would the BBC demand the blood of my first born for doing that? Maybe I'll just see how big the file is first, though I suspect it won't be small.

EDIT: Ah, I see the offer has already been made so I'll be a backup if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire

Hi,

I’d not seen your post when I posted about it being on iPlayer! Although your connection might not be fast enough to stream the programme, it is downloadable, if 660Mb! You could just leave it to cook over night!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I was iffy about it to be honest, something wasn't quite right , then I realised it was another game show with the obligatory on the edge of tears contestant.

I did like the bits without the contestants where you saw the real craftsmen.

Another good idea spoiled by TV producers who think we are all thick and must have human interest.
Just my two pen'ath

ATB

Tom

Oh yes.:(

An otherwise excellent program buggered up by TV froth.

On the plus side though, it gives the general public an idea of what we are in danger of losing, so it's not all bad.:rolleyes:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Watching the one this week and the tutor seems rather more constructive, consequently he seems to be getting the most out of the people he's teaching.

Much better than last week and he seems pretty chilled and the programme seems more interesting because of it.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
never seen the previous ones, but tonights was fantastic. If someone could put all of em on disc for me, i'd pay. cant get them on bbc from holland

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not totally sure if it was the production or the tutor but this episode urinated over last weeks from a great height.

Seemed like everyone got much more from it.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'm not totally sure if it was the production or the tutor but this episode urinated over last weeks from a great height.

Seemed like everyone got much more from it.

IMO it was both great episode make me even more eager that we get our new forge at school so i can have a go

jamalex

Jan 27, 2010
Halifax
They all seemed to connect to it better than the thatching one. Really impressed with what they could produce after 6 weeks.

Another thing to put on list of things to learn how to do!

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE