Maybe worth a watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stonecutter

Feb 23, 2008
Nth London
Maybe worth a watch?
This coming Friday the 12th BBC2 9.00pm a 6 part series called Mastercrafts. Monty Don celebrates six traditional crafts, setting three people each week the challenge of learning a trade. This week its green wood craft the students get to grips with freshly cut wood.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks for the heads up - definitely one to watch or V+!

I really got into green wood working while on a trip to the CAT center in Wales, inspirational IS the word.

For anyone interested, Raymond Tabor has written several good books on the subject.

James

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Welcome to the forum Stonecutter.
I'm looking forward to it, mind you this has been posted a couple of times.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Thanks for posting about this. It might have been posted before, but this is the first I've heard of it and I've now set it to record the series. For the people who forget, remember that there is the BBC iPlayer to watch the things you missed. I could upload them to youtube if that was legal, which it's not.

I'm really hoping this is one worth watching. I've had too many massive disappointments from the things on TV. If only there was a channel that had quality content; just the facts and a little banter, and NONE of the drama. It's not a wonder we love Ray Mears programs and videos like Green Pete's Knife Making Video. That's the sort of content I like; facts, sometimes not in great detail, but sometimes LOTS of detail, but above all; no drama.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks for posting about this. It might have been posted before, but this is the first I've heard of it and I've now set it to record the series. For the people who forget, remember that there is the BBC iPlayer to watch the things you missed. I could upload them to youtube if that was legal, which it's not.

I'm really hoping this is one worth watching. I've had too many massive disappointments from the things on TV. If only there was a channel that had quality content; just the facts and a little banter, and NONE of the drama. It's not a wonder we love Ray Mears programs and videos like Green Pete's Knife Making Video. That's the sort of content I like; facts, sometimes not in great detail, but sometimes LOTS of detail, but above all; no drama.

Quite agree. I am very much looking forward to it and I think the first episode with Guy Mallinson will be one of the best. I would have preferred not to have the competitive element but lest wait and see it may not be too intrusive. There is a stone episode with Andy Oldfield of Hardwick Hall for stonecutter. I have the proof of the book for review at the moment, some discussion about the series and book on my blog here. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/02/mastercrafts-with-monty-don.html

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Guy Mallinson, mentor for tonight's show is a nice chap and I expect tonight's to be one of the best of the series. I suspect the green woodwork will be the episode most of interest to folk here too.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Guy Mallinson, mentor for tonight's show is a nice chap and I expect tonight's to be one of the best of the series. I suspect the green woodwork will be the episode most of interest to folk here too.

Thanks for the bump, I had already forgotten!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

He was a bit short on the positive re-enforcement front though wasn't he?

P

Pcwizme

I have to say i really enjoyed it, it showed just enough to make my mum tell me to stop eyeing up there tools and i have spent enough on new stuff this month, but i think they missed out a hell of alot as well, like the actual making of the seat for the chairs

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I was iffy about it to be honest, something wasn't quite right , then I realised it was another game show with the obligatory on the edge of tears contestant.

I did like the bits without the contestants where you saw the real craftsmen.

Another good idea spoiled by TV producers who think we are all thick and must have human interest.

Just my two pen'ath

ATB

Tom

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I was iffy about it to be honest, something wasn't quite right , then I realised it was another game show with the obligatory on the edge of tears contestant.

Another good idea spoiled by TV producers who think we are all thick and must have human interest.

Just my two pen'ath

ATB

Tom

To be fair, it is made for the masses. With that in mind, I thought it was a very informative, interesting and captivating programme.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Just my two pen'ath

ATB

Tom

Actually that could well have been what was irritating me about it.

The bloke teaching the chairmaking seemed a bit of an **** with his teaching methods not being particularly positive but its possible he's been instructed to be like that to add "drama" for the people who generally watch Eastenders.

I hate it when producers try to add drama to an already interesting subject as it always detracts from the informative nature of the programme.

In general, I like the programme but it could be better with less packing.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
It was much better than I expected. I think it was pointed out on here last year that the production company were looking for “trainees/contestants”

I had a long chats with the researchers and ploughed through the bumf and contracts, and although I fancied it, even though it wasn’t practical for me, the way the competitive element of the programme was described put me right off.

As it turned out it was a much “classier” production and worth watching if you missed it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE