Making a solar powered dehydrator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
In the summer I was thinking of making a solar powered Dehydrator out of sellotape and cardboard boxes and was wondering if anyone had made one. It sounds a bit mad I know but here are some plans I found on the internet. LINK
soldryer.jpg

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Should work. I once cooked a roast dinner in a solar oven made from two cardboard boxes, some old newspaper, some foil, a sheet of glass, and duct tape. Admittedly it was in Australia, but you don't need that much heat for a dehydrator.

Come to think of it, there was a solar dehydrator kicking around on the farm too... Home-dried bananas are way better than the dried banana chips you buy in the shops. :)

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
gregorach said:
Should work. I once cooked a roast dinner in a solar oven
A roast dinner with a solar oven now I like the sound of that. We've already got an electric dehydrator and have to agree that dried bananas are lush much better than the shop ones and a lot cheaper. The reason i want to make a solar dehydrator is i like the idea of drying food with no electricity just the power of the sun. I can really have my own sun dried tomatoes :D

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm resurrecting this thread, after a search for solar dehydrators. Any feedback, particularly from North Britain ?

I was sent some jerky powder for Christmas, and don't feel like shelling out for an AGA or an Excalibur. I'd rather waste time improvising something that probably gets used once before conversion to firewood.

Maybe not as fancy as this, but informed by its research: http://homepower.com/article/?file=HP69_pg24_Scanlin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE