Mad Idea...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This is a Mad Idea that has taken form...

Snow-block-cutter.jpg

The snow block cutter / mould / kitchen / windbreak.

It is one of those crazy ideas I wake up with occasionally but I thought this one might have wings.

It’s primary purpose is to push into wind compacted snow to cut blocks for building an igloo. If good snow conditions are not available, loose snow can be shovelled into it and compacted to serve the purpose instead.

It’s secondary purpose when not being used for that is to act as a kitchen base to stop the stoves melting into the snow.

It will fit in the big duffel bags with kit packed inside it, taking little space for itself.

Tipping the scales at 1.33 kg it is not insignificant but, as an experiment, I hope it will prove worth it’s weight.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sounds like a very universal useful bit of kit goodjob the beauty of it is that you can refine it over time if need be, it will end up the multitool of the arctic!

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have used the same system for many years. All my content is hosted on my own web sites, safely and securely. Literally thousands of pictures.

The fact that some browsers have changed their default settings and people cannot be bothered to change them back is not a problem that I am prepared to expend time and money to fix.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you want to view Gary's pictures it appears that Firefox and Internet Explorer still have their default setting to allow non-secure content (http) to be loaded on secure pages (https).

In Chrome, if you want to view the pictures, go to the left end of the URL bar, left click the padlock symbol, left click Site Settings, scroll down to Insecure Content (near the bottom of the list) and Allow.

Although I am reasonably tech savvy, it still took me about half an hour to find those particular settings. Searching for an answer is not so easy because most people are concerned with securing sites and browsing, not making it less secure, so you have to search very specifically.

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snow-block-cutter-II.jpg

It never does any harm to consider other opinions.

So many people have said I should have put handles on this that I changed my mind and added some. For the very few grams they weigh they cannot do any harm.

I’m also showing here another way it could be used. As a wind break with a handy shelf over the cooking area.

That would mean using my fire grill to stop the stoves melting down into the snow but no harm there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE