MLL Amazon initial impressions and sub zero outing review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
This knife was sent as part of a "Get Outdoors" challenge from thomdarrah on Bushcraft USA. Very generous as the only expectations are that I get outdoors with the tool, do an overnighter and dayhike then post pics and video about it. Gosh that's what I like to do anyways! This is actually not part of that challenge rather an intial impressions and field test review of the knife. I don't take any tool into the field or include it within my ER preps without first a bit of testing. So this is the testing phase of the future outings.

First lets take a look at the knife.

thomdarrah description.

MLL Amazon; 4mm 01, matte black micarta with lime green liners, MLL kydex sheath

The custom knife maker's description.

http://mllknivespt.com/amazon.html

Specs:
STYLE: Amazon.
STEEL OPTIONS: "O1" Carbon Steel, "D2" carbon steel, "N690" Stainless Steel.
GRIND OPTIONS: Sabre, High Flat, Convex, Scandi.
BLADE LOOK OPTIONS: Acid-etched, Hand Rubbed, Textured, Forged Look.
HANDLE OPTIONS: G10, Micarta, Natural Wood, Exotic Wood, Stabilized Wood.
HARDWARE OPTIONS: Pins, Flared Tubes, Bolts.
SHEATH OPTIONS: Kydex Sheath, "S1" Multipurpose Leather Sheath, Bushcraft Leather Sheath.

OVERALL LENGTH: 9" (230mm).
BLADE LENGTH: 4.33" (110mm).
THICKNESS: 5/32" (4mm).

Optional Natural Wood.

To me this is a mid sized field/bushcraft type knife. I think O1 is a good steel for my uses however like that there are multiple options. Let's take a look at the knife.

The handle is micarta with liners.

Size comparison with some other Bushcraft knives.

The JW curly maple on top is at the larger end of the midsize class of what I carry for a bushcraft field knife but it's a user. The BHK Bushpig has been languishing in a safe. A wide stout knife that after a few outings just kinda got left behind. Not sure why as it's a great knife. Maybe too heavy for it's intended purpose? Not sure. LOL! Might just take it out for another spin. The MLL Amazon is small enough for easy packing but IMHO has enough blade for work.

The sheath is Kydex with a leather belt loop. Seems like .060 Kydex.

Nice job.

The grommets are properly spaced for standard 1.5 Tec Lock. This means some accessories that I bent for standard spacing will work.

But for this initial field test and the challenge outings I decided to honor the spirit of generosity by using a ferro rod which was gifted by Keyser Söze also of Bushcraft USA. I feel humbled by such generosity and hope to do right by these tools.

The knife was brand new but didn't come shaving sharp. The guessing saber grind seemed even and well done so nothing more was needed that a little touch up with 2000 grit and soft pad plus strop. There is what looks like a fine secondary bevel so convexed that a bit.

Now that's what I like to see.

Lower blade.

Upper blade.

Ok we are ready.....Sub Zero initial field test GO!

As the name implies it was cold. Guessing zero with temps looking to hit the -10s fahrenheit but that's not the real issue. It was the wind. A hard north wind that only got worse. Wind chill could have been -20 fahrenheit or lower near the end of the outing which was amplified by being in valley that both channeled the wind and pooled the cold. The plan was to go out with just the following gear items till dark attempting to make my situation better.

1. MLL Amazon knife.
2. Ferro rod.
3. GSI stainless kettle.
4. ArmyTek A1 Tiara headlamp with lithium primary AA battery loaded, no backup battery.
5. USGI Medium ALICE pack with enhanced shoulder straps, no frame.

A sick and beat up looking hardwood sapling. I will be needing this for two uses. 1. Hiking staff that won't break. 2. Pot hook support that won't burn.

Knife took it down in short order.

I need fire as it's cold. Don't have matches or a lighter but do have that ferro rod. Best to take wood not in contact with the ground. This is prime as it's off the ground, missing bark and hardwood guessing maple but could be wrong on the ID. I don't have a saw or axe but that's ok.

Looks like a good spot. Not too near the valley floor which could be amazingly cold and not too high up as to be overly exposed to the wind. The least amount of suck available through a backstop or reflector would have been nice. Oh well. Started to kick way some of the snow. If it's shallow enough I will do that if not could also start a fire right on top of the snow.

Starting a twig fire platform. I will use wood of lower quality such as stuff found on the ground for this if supplies are limited for the base.

A twig fire employs what's in nature to save on work. Rather than thin split wood and/or feather sticks thin twigs and other smaller kindling are often used along with fine tinder. That said split wood fires, shavings and feather sticks are good skills to practice as sometimes the pre mentioned materials aren't around but this wasn't one of those times. Less work in the cold wind the better.

And despite keeping the cameras inside my jacket one is down from the cold. Had an extra battery within an inside pocket. Taking video and pictures in these conditions was a PITA.

Beech leaves are often good dry tinder and will remain on the tree for much of winter. Leaves on the ground have rarely produced good results for me but these are just fire.

I started to think about my kettle. Was surprised to see flowing water not totally covered over by ice. No doubt it would soon freeze but maybe I could save some time by using the kettle as a canteen once the fire was going? I didn't feel like trying to walk around with water so considered coming back later. Cold is a stern but beautiful mistress.

I think this shrub thing might make for a good addition to the pot hook support.

Using the tool for exactly what was needed and nothing more.

Now this is what I wanted. Yellow birch! I don't have any packed tinder but nature's very own aromatic hydrocarbon are nearly unbeatable.

I will be taking some of the hanging bark.

The sun is starting to go down and cold is creeping in even more. These dead dry weeds should be useful.

Blue sky in the fading light not that the sun gave me much love anyways.

Back at my day camp with wood prep done. I used my hands and feet to break up the wood.

I used the knife's spine to strike the ferro rod. The maker did a good job by leaving the spine sqaure enough to toss great sparks. I don't like when field knives are sold as bushcraft blades with rounded or coated spines. Just more work for me getting the knife ready for use. So giving MLL an A+ in this department. All that said if someone really needed they could use the blade. Done that for years using other knifes and the world didn't end. Heresy, I know....

A short video of the fire starting using the MLL knife and gifted ferro rod. In firecraft the prep work is every bit as important as the ignition IMHO.

[video=youtube;AJ4ecp8fgQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ4ecp8fgQ8[/video]

I like to use the fire's power to break larger wood whenever possible. Again less work the better IMHO.

Finished up the second part of the pot hook. Despite the ground being frozen the point should help dig in a bit. The knife did a good job though this task like the others isn't particularly challenging but then again it's exactly what's needed.

Simple pot hook up and running. Just two sticks and a counter balance. Once again the least amount of work to do the job. I decided against hiking back to the small brook for water. Seemed like a good idea at the time but less so when moving away from the fire. The medium ALICE pack without frame made for an OK sitting pad. Sure beat sitting directly on the snow and less work than making a sitting spot out of pine boughs as I didn't pack a closed cell pad.

The wind didn't seem to want me to get a hot drink. I kept telling myself it wasn't personal but then again maybe it was? Perhaps too much smack talk and brash expectations had offended the mistress of the cold? She doesn't like to be ignored or second guessed.

With the sun getting lower I cracked out my headlamp. Lithium primaries work great in cold weather. The headlamp worked just fine but think it would have been dead if fueled with alkaline or NiMH, maybe too cold for lithium ions as well.

L91 batteries for the cold weather win! That's one thing I like about AAs, multiple chemistries available for multiple uses.

http://www.energizer.com/batteries/energizer-ultimate-lithium-batteries

Also the Hemlock (conifer tree not toxic killer weed) needles were nearby.

Plus the water was ready. Things are looking up!

Took the pot off the fire and tossed in the needles. 5 minutes later had a hot drink which when combined with the fire turned things totally around.

My hands and feet felt warm, face not so frozen and with that the initial knife field test was over. Hiked back feeling ok. Amazing how much of a difference 4 small gear items inside a pack can make. I still have a dayhike and overnighter which more extensive testing of the knife will be done. This short outing was one of pure practical use. Nothing less or more than what was needed.

Thanks for looking. Here is a long winded video to go along with this long winded initial review.

[video=youtube;O-zTpFfdG_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zTpFfdG_4[/video]

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
nice write up

can't help thinking that the blade would be improved by addition of a choil. the edge seems to curve out slightly which is rapidly going to be a pain to sharpen

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
nice write up

can't help thinking that the blade would be improved by addition of a choil. the edge seems to curve out slightly which is rapidly going to be a pain to sharpen

I was thinking the exact Same thing.
And great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
nice write up

Time will tell. It wasn't hard to initially sharpen but with more trips under it's belt I would be better able to address that. Thanks for looking brother!

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Thanks for the review .

With regards to the lack of choil :

"NOTE:
This is custom knives not mass production,
ALL THE SPECS CAN BE CUSTOM, CONTACT ME FOR MORE OPTIONS"

No affiliations, just a long time window shopper....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE