Lynx Escape - Dartmoor Zoo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good luck finding a cat that has no plans of being found.
A zoo is death by concrete anyway.
Lynx are no threat to people. Lynx are a threat to rabbits and grouse.
Chicken Little is screaming: "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
ll Police have advised the public not to approach the lynx if they see it, as it could become dangerous if alarmed or corned.

No wonder the poor feline is anxious. :puppy_dog

Do do we really need zoos, in the middle of Dartmoor, or anywhere? Ones that aren't even secure and allow frightened and potentially dangerous animals to escape.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A forest world is a 3D world to a Lynx. As you noisily march through the woods, the cat zips up a tree and watches your passage from a comfortable limb.
Our grouse (Ruffed, Franklin's and Dusky) are principally birds of the forest floor but roost in trees at night. Rabbits on the ground.
Our Lynx and Bobcats live mostly on the forest floor as well. They're no threat to people, corned or cornered.

I can put you in front of an active Lynx den site in about 20 minutes from my house.
You could sit there for a week and see nothing as they come and go = ghosts, both day and night.
If they've got a litter of kits, we might see them all out in some grassy clearing in October.

Cougar/Puma/Mountain Lion have to be taken seriously. In the winter, they have come into the village and killed a couple of the resident deer.
It becomes extremely worrisome for the parents of small children going to school in the dark and coming home in the dark, mid winter.
The soft snow makes a silent world.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Beautiful creature, lucky this is Great Britain, hopefully nobody will shoot it...

(No offence meant to our members in the US)

It'l be forever remembered as 'the one that got away..."😁

Im sure I read somewhere that they were going to try and reintroduce the lynx in Scotland or some other part of the UK...

If this one has been in captivity all its life, it will be interesting to see if the hunting instinct is still there...

Fascinating animals the felines

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A forest world is a 3D world to a Lynx. As you noisily march through the woods, the cat zips up a tree and watches your passage from a comfortable limb.
Our grouse (Ruffed, Franklin's and Dusky) are principally birds of the forest floor but roost in trees at night. Rabbits on the ground.
Our Lynx and Bobcats live mostly on the forest floor as well. They're no threat to people, corned or cornered.

I can put you in front of an active Lynx den site in about 20 minutes from my house.
You could sit there for a week and see nothing as they come and go = ghosts, both day and night.
If they've got a litter of kits, we might see them all out in some grassy clearing in October.

Cougar/Puma/Mountain Lion have to be taken seriously. In the winter, they have come into the village and killed a couple of the resident deer.
It becomes extremely worrisome for the parents of small children going to school in the dark and coming home in the dark, mid winter.
The soft snow makes a silent world.

I'll just put you down as a 'maybe' then?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wow.

These posts.....

<sigh>

Wow.

Your post.

You want a gang of amateurs to go hunting a scared and potentially dangerous animal that wasn't put into a place that was secure where it shouldn't have been put in in the first place, and thus was put there by irresponsible people???

Sorry, I wish the animal the very best, but my dad had to shoot an angry, confused, anxious bear, in Bognor Regis, in front of a crowd of bystanders. This was in the 70s. Has nothing been learned?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Wow.

Your post.

You want a gang of amateurs to go hunting a scared and potentially dangerous animal that wasn't put into a place that was secure where it shouldn't have been put in in the first place, and thus was put there by irresponsible people???

Sorry, I wish the animal the very best, but my dad had to shoot an angry, confused, anxious bear, in Bognor Regis, in front of a crowd of bystanders. This was in the 70s. Has nothing been learned?

In fairness, searching and hunting are two very different things.

If a 3yr old kid goes missing and TD asked for help with the search, would you bring a gun?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Wow.

Your post.

Pretty sure i didn't mention Amateurs? I know we have some skilled and experienced Trackers on the forum. This isn't my idea ( i was contacted from elsewhere ) and MAYBE other could help locate that dangerous animal and help others return it to safety for its own sake as well as other.

Hunting?? where did that come from ?

Fairly sure Vets can dart animals these days? Yes - quite sure. I've seen it on TV so must be true.

I also wish the the animal the best but thats unlikely to happen unless its returned to a safe sanctuary.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No wonder the poor feline is anxious. :puppy_dog

Do do we really need zoos, in the middle of Dartmoor, or anywhere? Ones that aren't even secure and allow frightened and potentially dangerous animals to escape.

I think you are getting two things mixed up.

This is a thread about helping to locate a Wild Animal that has escaped - Blame of stewardship aside.

Its NOT a thread about the rights and wrongs of Zoo's as a concept of commerce or education.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE