'Look What I've Found' meals - boil in the bag???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Tesco are currently Selling 'Look What I've Found' meals for £1.33 so I've purchased a few to try on my forthcoming Welsh 3000s trip. Are they safe to boil in the bag? Will the boiling water be fit to use in a brew or will it taste of the packaging ink? Can you buy boil-in-the-bag bags to make your own BITB meals?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've boiled them in the bag, and used the water for a brew and didn't notice anything. I quite like most of the Look range, but find that sometimes there can be too much flavourings ie herbs n spices etc for my personal taste. One of their bags with some Express Rice and be cooked / reheated at the same time, even in a tiny HOBO stove, just keep an eye on the water levels and don't let the bags melt if it gets dry... ;)

You can buy BITB bags, Lakeland do them clicky here

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
just be carefull i have had a couple stick to the side of the pot in places and also the colour from the packet leeches into the water the water didn't look great too me . the other thing is the portions are a little small for me so i bulk them up with rice or pasta but they are very tasty

Sent from my GT-I9100

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
just be carefull i have had a couple stick to the side of the pot in places and also the colour from the packet leeches into the water the water didn't look great too me . the other thing is the portions are a little small for me so i bulk them up with rice or pasta but they are very tasty

Sent from my GT-I9100

We have a winner. :)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Use them all the time when out and about.i had one friday night ate it then as i was finnishing it i noticed the best before date was june 2011 for some reason i could swore it said 2012 when i packed it :rolleyes touch wood im still alive so all good to me

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There you go then, you need to add to it. :) I think the OP was thinking it a complete dining experience on its own and so clarified the situation, nothing worse than a chap at the top of a mountain still peckish after dining as I'm sure a man with your moniker will fully understand.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There you go then, you need to add to it. :) I think the OP was thinking it a complete dining experience on its own and so clarified the situation, nothing worse than a chap at the top of a mountain still peckish after dining as I'm sure a man with your moniker will fully understand.

Fair enough.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I emailed Look what I've found a couple of years ago about boiling in the bag. They said it was perfectly safe, and responded to my suggestion that they should make this clear on their web site, that they would add it.

However, having just looked, I can't see any mention of it on their current web site, even though there is section devoted to camping.

Graham

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
But it isn't intended to be, its the meat portion of a meal. No spag in the bol. No rice on the chilli. I always chuck a tato in the embers to go with mine.

I tried a spag bol today,there was no spag in it and deither was there any meat in it either.Very disappointed. The meat balls are very good though.I boil them in the bag with no problems.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I tried a spag bol today,there was no spag in it and deither was there any meat in it either.Very disappointed. The meat balls are very good though.I boil them in the bag with no problems.

?? So no spaghetti and no meat in their spag bol? So its basically tomato sauce?!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
If you have a home bargains close check out thier indian boil in the bag meals very authentic although bit of a limited choice Aloo sag, chickpea, some dall and some rice dishes 49p each add some chappatis or a nan and its a decent sized meal for one, we are going to try and put a two man 24 hr rat pack together for £4

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
2 man Rat Pack for £4... this I must see Please please let us know how it turns out. I have put a few things together my self but never got down close to that price.
Wish you the best of luck

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you have a home bargains close check out thier indian boil in the bag meals very authentic although bit of a limited choice Aloo sag, chickpea, some dall and some rice dishes 49p each add some chappatis or a nan and its a decent sized meal for one, we are going to try and put a two man 24 hr rat pack together for £4

Lets see, thats 2 pounds (or about $3) per man per day. Even cooking at home I can barely eat one meal for that price; unless I eat vegan which ain't happening.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The boil in bag meals from Iceland are £2, 400gm and better to be honest. Although sold as a chilled meal the pouches are vac packed and would certainly in my opinion last a good few days out of the fridge; I've left two out of the fridge and will see if the packs 'blow' over the next seven days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE