living outside for a year in a permanent camp what would you take

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I seem to remember gravity fed water too :)

Just for you Red, the 100ltr water tank for the washing up, I don't think there is a picture of the toilet block and wash-up sink, or the gas hob :p

watertank.jpg

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
It was a bit of an ongoing project, but the shelter took a couple of days to get the basic set up ready, floor took a couple of days as well, but that one is huge, something like 16ft diameter, and had 6 or more people in there with kit for two or three days, so for one or two people you can make it half that size.

Wings

A few years back there was a guy who let his flat go and slept out in a bivy bag for a year on the outskirts of London. I can't find the article at the moment. He would eat in the city before getting the tube out (I think it was Epping forest area). Then he would get in early and take a shower at work (lucky they had one).

He did it as an experiment and saved himself a fortune in rent and bills and I think he was planning a second year to get a deposit on a house.

If you are going to be working on a farm, see if they will offset some wages against board and lodge? Not so bushy but pretty practical.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Id be inclined to be prepared to draw up a document ( that youve signed ) stating that youll leave the land you occupy when you or your employer decide to part company , you might find that geeting a farming job easier than geeting them to agree to you building and living on their land especially the kind of shelters youre thinking about using ! ( less broad minded farmers will instantly think that you will shortly be joined by other travellers intent on setting up a community )

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Dave,

I have a similar set up to the teepee you had but struggle managing the smoke from an open fire in the middle. There is a hole at the apex but i find it gets very smoky inside apart from three foot or so above the ground. What do you burn? Wood or charcoal? or do you have a stove with chimney? Any tips on how to improve the draught would be appreciated.

ah yes that old chestnut :lmao: it's a case of making sure that your wood is dry and well seasoned and then having the vent at the top large enough ;) In my 'limpet' the top has a 3 foot diameter hole (where the tarps on the sides meet), then pulled across that is a small tarp in a kinda chinaman's hat arrangement. If there is no breeze then the hat needs lifting to allow enough draw, but normally the smoke only fills the top foot or so.

The limpet is sadly no more, after three and a half years the birch poles in it's construction were getting brittle and working through the tarps. But is only took me a couple of afternoons to put the thing up on my own (I had a hand with the tarps, but have refitted them solo too) and it has managed some very nasty rain and snow. The raised fireplace in the middle provided heat and light very well and I've been out there with snow on the ground whilst teaching (it also saved a good number of gatherings before I had any other covered spaces!)

limpetfire.jpg

limpetsm.jpg

the bottom picture shows the top sheet tethered down against the strong winds we had last october/november, but when I had groups in I would move the securing ropes to hold it out and allow a little air underneath

forestwalker

I'd go for a tipi/lavuu or a yurt (modified to be more pointy if the snow/rain was expected to be heavy). Or the classic "cabin" style tent. My experience with tipis in Sweden is that rain will run down the poles and make things wet inside as well. Unfortunately, because I like them a lot.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thanks Dave, Mine is about eight foot or so at the apex and I think the hole is probably too small. Also my fire was on the ground not on a raised grate. Some adjustments needed, I think.

ah yes that old chestnut :lmao: it's a case of making sure that your wood is dry and well seasoned and then having the vent at the top large enough ;) In my 'limpet' the top has a 3 foot diameter hole (where the tarps on the sides meet), then pulled across that is a small tarp in a kinda chinaman's hat arrangement. If there is no breeze then the hat needs lifting to allow enough draw, but normally the smoke only fills the top foot or so.

The limpet is sadly no more, after three and a half years the birch poles in it's construction were getting brittle and working through the tarps. But is only took me a couple of afternoons to put the thing up on my own (I had a hand with the tarps, but have refitted them solo too) and it has managed some very nasty rain and snow. The raised fireplace in the middle provided heat and light very well and I've been out there with snow on the ground whilst teaching (it also saved a good number of gatherings before I had any other covered spaces!)

limpetfire.jpg

limpetsm.jpg

the bottom picture shows the top sheet tethered down against the strong winds we had last october/november, but when I had groups in I would move the securing ropes to hold it out and allow a little air underneath

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Not to put a downer on anyone’s dreams but having lived ‘rough’ for 18 months as a younger man, I will say in the UK, your main problem will not be space or warmth it will be damp. Unless you plan to heat your ‘shelter in the woods’ all the time, everything you own, everything you do, every item of clothing will, after about 10 day, start to be affected by damp. I lived in a largish tent for the summer months, and a shed through autumn, before spending 10 months in an abandoned tea room. And I can say without a doubt that damp was the main problem. I spent most of my time, when not working, scrounging wood for heating, and drying my bedding kit. (Didn’t have a leak, it was just damp)
I’ve say you need a permanent solid building of some kind with a woodburner for heat, something that you can safely leave lit, even when you’re not there. I’d try and find a local farmer that would let you rent an open area, close/next to your woodland. It has to be open so your tent/yurt/shed can dry out in the wind. Build a yurt (you can get a 12ft one for under £1300) fit a decent wood stove. Buy a couple of tonne of dry wood, and Bob’s your mother’s brother. YMMV

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'd go for a tipi/lavuu or a yurt (modified to be more pointy if the snow/rain was expected to be heavy). Or the classic "cabin" style tent. My experience with tipis in Sweden is that rain will run down the poles and make things wet inside as well. Unfortunately, because I like them a lot.

I had that problem too. Solved it (at least temporarily) by sticking a large umbrella-type canopy over the top. So far it has survived some strong winds so we'll see how it goes through the winter.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium

Just put an inner tent in it which goes up over two metres high so it covers all of the sleeping area and more. The only thing getting wet this way is the fireplace and a small area around it, and that dries up quickly ;)

As Tadpole mentions dampness is indeed the biggest problem, definately in colder climates... I found it's possible to keep out the dampness, but you can't imagine how much wood was required to accomplish that in the tipi.

As long as you steer away from cotton... Wool and synthetics do the trick.

bearbait

Some years ago I came across the story of a couple who had little money but needed a home They bought two polytunnels, one sized to fit inside the other. They filled the space between with insulation. A cheap and well-insulated home. Of course you'd have condensation problems but this is managable. Similarly with heating. I guess it's a bit like one bender inside another with the gap insulated!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE