living outside for a year in a permanent camp what would you take

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
cheers guys you have given me alot to think about and the reason i say that is i was thinking using my hammock and my 5m bell tent as a combo because if i can find some wood to do it in and my boss lets me wash my uniform at work i am seriously continplating doing it

Last edited:

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
For 1 year id go with building a bender again , wood burning stove is a must and a couple of recycled windows . Very cozy and suprizingly strong . With the added bonus of being able to add extra rooms /space if you need it !

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Sounds like a plan there... Bender all the time, can make very snug. Remember winter is the deciding factor and a well built bender will insulate and give better heating then any tent can manage. look at some of the permaculture sites or this guy that lives in his self built house in wales. Forgot names/sites etc. Been a session done ta pub... Try and remembers tomorrow.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
could someone explain what a bender structure is please, piccys would help ! ( i think i know but would like confirmation :) )

cheers

Robbi

bearbait

I think the answer to the question is largely dependent on where you are living/plan to live: Tropical or Temperate Rainforest, Boreal Forest, Desert, Savannah, etc., whether on mountain or lowland, and also the presence or otherwise of predators such as bear or lion, and other such problematic critters such as snakes, ants, scorpions and other pesky members of the insect world. What you need for shelter needs to keep you warm, dry and safe in your "theatre" and the same applies to your food: it needs to be safe from theft by two-/four-/six-/eight-/multi-legged creatures and spoilage from excess heat or cold or moisture. You also need to consider water collection/capture/purification/storage. Also fuel for heating/cooking. And what to do with ALL your waste products. Consider also tools, first aid kit/medicines. If you're not going completely back to nature you may consider a windgen and/or solar panels for electricity or recharging your MP3 player. And are you commuting each day from your camp to your job in telesales/truck driver/police officer/nurse (i.e. do you need to iron a clean shirt each day?) or have you gone bush? How are you going to get mail/pay bills/read BCUK?

I think a more specific question may elicit more helpful or useful responses?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
well in regards to your post bear bait i still live with the rents so no bills as such and the car would be sold and i would by a mountain bike to ride to work cos the woods i plan to use is a five minute ride from home and a ten minuite ride from work and i work nights at a hotel anyway so i could use the hotel laundry to wash and ion uniform (thats if the boss lets me of course). Now inregards to reading bcuk well i was planning regular trips to the antys or mum and dads plus to the local tescos and town and what not. to upload photos and also catch up on bcuk and what not but spending the majority of my time i.e sleeping and genral living outdoors cos thats the idea and also to build a camp were i will be comfortable using mostly what i find in the woods

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
loo1.jpg

Our luxury loos at camp last week...

tent1.jpg

Joe looking less than pleased at my tent...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
could someone explain what a bender structure is please, piccys would help ! ( i think i know but would like confirmation :) )

cheers

Robbi

Well, a bender is pretty much anything built from bent poles (usually hazel or willow) covered with canvas or tarpaulin (or carpet, or whatever else you've got to hand). They can be all sorts of shapes, but the most common are tunnels and domes. Some are open-fronted to take advantage of an open fire, but mostly people put woodstoves in them. Pallets for the floor if you can get them.

This one is very spiffy, but this is perhaps more typical...

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
a tonne of baked beans, .

i wont visit thanks....;-)

Dave B.... i hope your not expecting us to live in that on the knief course!...

Drew I would take clay and slap it in to large rectangle squares maybe use a mold?... build these into a slab and burry with a large fire.... after a few days dig them up and then using maybe a lime mortar put them ontop of each other.... i think you see where i am going.

If your staying for a year it ius a permenant structure your after.... it is the conclusion of the ages...... dont knock the ancestors.....

BTW Gregorach..... wow!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
thanks for the replys sofar guys but does haaving a permenant structure not deviate form bushy style living which is the idea by hind the year of living out side

I would have thought the construction of a permanent structure would have been one of the main priorities of bushcraft living in a temperate climate.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Start off with sleeping on the floor then maybe under a tarp, then a tent, then a bigger tent, then a yurt, then a cabin, then a stone-walled shelter, maybe a bungalow, a 2 storey house ............... with a garden............ plumb in a water supply and some gas and wire in some electric.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE