living outside for a year in a permanent camp what would you take

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya guys thanks for your impput but i have decided a against a static camp and am now looking at the possibility of having to move around due to really struggling to find a farmer and land also traveling sounds fun as well.

drew

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow

He reckons they weren't naive going in then tells us they discovered that living in a couple would be considered punishment it was that difficult, I worked that out myself within a few minutes of thinking about it, they planned that trip for eighteen months. And the bit about the drinking water, seven months they suspected it, I realise they may not have boiled the water 500 years ago but people probably learned quite quickly to set up by flowing water. I'm glad they enjoyed what they did and got fulfilment from it, and I've also enjoyed watching it, but they went in there with a romantic notion that they would be okay and it was as much luck as skill and knowledge that saw them survive.

On a smaller scale you should remember that Drew, living outside is life in itself a lot of the time and if you start trying to fit work round it as well you could find yourself very tired very quickly. Finishing at 5 in the winter and then having to get a fire lit in the dark before you can even have a cuppa could be very wearing.

I realise you plan on still partaking of some of the trappings of modern life and I think you should never underestimate the ability of Mum's Sunday roast and a warm bed now and again to raise your spirits.

Good luck if you decide to go through with it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...as above what would you take?...your thoughts and opinions please..."

As little as possible carried in as small a pack as I could get away with, I would step out my front door on January first and see just how far my feet could carry me in three hundred and sixty five days.

However if you really must stay in the one place (in the UK) and your happy that your camp will be safe from thieves and brigands, then a yurt is the way to go. Warm in winter and cool in the summer, very cosy.

Dan Kuehn's excellent book 'Mongolian Cloud Houses' has a chapter available to view online, you may browse through it here.

:)

Last edited:

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I'd do the whole British campaign furniture shebang, although I'd have a modern paraffin/diesel heater and hot-shower if possible - and a single pole lavvu. It's too wet to not have easy, dry heat for such a long period. but if I couldn't get diesel where I was, a big heavy wood stove would do.

http://www.britishcampaignfurniture.com/

But, really, if I'm tenting, I don't want to be in the same place for a year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE