list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would like to make a fox caller, the sort that make a noise of a dieng rabbit, can these be made or will i have to buy one
are they easy to make ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just use the back of my hand and pursed lips Leon - kind of half suck, half kiss. You are going for two or three really high pitched squeaks in succession. Don't overdo it or make other noises. Its best done at night and then swep with a lamp or powerful torch

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
if i remember correctly the foxes will be out more now as it is the mating season, am i correct ?
if i sit down the woods with my camera and do the fox call do you think i will get a good shot ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
three high pitched squeeks ok, how long will it take for the fox to come, if it doesnt could i do it again or will that overdo it ?
leon

leon-b said:
do i have to make 3 lengths of cordage made out of different plants or can the 2metres be made out of 3 different plants
hope you understand me
when are you going away, your going to see the sami people and watch reindeer reacing arent you ?
leon

It can be one piece of cord made of three different plants.

At least two have to be collected and processed by you, but someone on here can supply the other if you/they so wish ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
one of them will be nettle as i know how to procces this.
i would have to do the lot at the same time wouldnt i ?
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
if i remember correctly the foxes will be out more now as it is the mating season, am i correct ?
if i sit down the woods with my camera and do the fox call do you think i will get a good shot ?
leon
Leon,

If you are well concelaed and do it for half an hour at a time, several times, you may get lucky. You can indeed squeak again but not constantly - every few minutes. Fixes are wary of humans so try to get downwind of their approach and in a well concealed spot mate.

Went for a bimble today and saw an old dog fox (camera wasn't in my hand sadly). Did take some photos of a few deer and some really weird ones of a completely eaten bird up a tree. Now given the size of the bird, I doubt a buzzard could have carried it off - perhaps a kite? Or a leopard :D

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will try that when i have my camera, please could you post a few of the pics you took today
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sure mate - neither are photos I'm very proud of, but I'll show you today's deer and the bird carcas up the tree!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here you go mate - not much of a photo as the light was failing but its a tradition for BB and I to go and watch the deer feed of Christmas Eve - we take a small stove and a hip flask of brandy and just walk quiet and take our time.

331957427_3e3933123b.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bit odd to see this hanging in a tree - very "Blair Witch". I can only assum a raptor had taken it further up and was feeding on it when it dropped and caught in the branch. Doesn't seem like a normal buzzard action so I'd be interested in any opinions as to "what"

331957430_fd3283e072.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
what agreat tradition, i be the brandy kept you warm
leon
Its a nice way to spend any time - but particularly lovely at this time of year. We watched a couple of roes leaping a fence about 20 minutes before this - really magical

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE