list to learn

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
nice one leon. No reason to use wet wood though mate. If you split larger pieces down into 4 or 8 using knife and baton you can get to the dry centre wood. Also for quick dry tinder you can use the lower branches from spruce and fir trees etc where all the lower branches are dead but protected from above. Although with this freezing fog, even they may be damp and frosty at the moment

taking addtional tinder isn't the end of the world either. Lots of other people use inner tube or vaseline and cotton wool, maya sticks, tinder card, carry tinder pouches of preperpared dry tinder etc etc etc.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the fire was made in my garden using some old fencing posts, slats etc, i split it into about 4 pieces but as they were quite small the center was still damp
leon

have just got back from going out today (in the fog) and the key today was just to persevere in finding fire fuel. In the end, silver birch twigs caught in the middle of a giant laurel bush were the driest and the fire got going alright with birch bark and firesteel.
It just took a little bit longer for the larger sticks to warm/dry up, but after that it was fine. :)

woodwalker

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes it can be done it just takes longer and more patience, all of our wood is on the floor out in the open and gets drenched but it sure does help my firecraft
leon

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
netting1.gif

netting2.gif

from www.primitiveways.com

You mentioned netting on another thread. Heres a couple of diagrams that may help.
I found that carving out a netting needle and a spacer makes a nice change from spoons when youre sitting whittling.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
jesus christ, call me stupid bbut that is confusing i think i will wait untill i meet up with fenlander again and ask him if he will show me how to make a simple net
thanks anyway
leon

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
lol,, no problem.. I thought that when I had a go and the first couple of attempts were like a cats cradle. I agree re seeing someone do it.. it makes a lot more sense.... good luck with it

leon-b said:
jesus christ, call me stupid bbut that is confusing i think i will wait untill i meet up with fenlander again and ask him if he will show me how to make a simple net
thanks anyway
leon

Leon,

How many feet of cordage have you made so far and out of what different materials?

How many spoons have you carved?

How regularly can you get an ember with the bow-drill?

Have you created fire by sparking onto feather sticks yet?

What I'm suggesting, is that you keep practising the basics and get really good at them before moving onto more complicated stuff ;) Remember, you'll need to impress people with your basic skills next summer :p

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
fenlander yes i will need to impress them next summer so i will keep practicing i feel another spoon coming on, actually last sunday i carved a butter knife and a mini meat cleaver, they are rough at the moment, pictures will be up later
BOD, all of my carvings i have heated the oil up and put the carving into there, at first you will see lots of bubbles coming, this is because the oil is pushing out the oxygen (i think), when the bubbles stop take it out
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Bod, make sure the oil doesn't get too hot as you may scorch the wood. I suppose the best way to keep the oil hot enough is to put the oil in a pan, and then put that pan into another pan with boiling water. As long as the oil pan doesn't touch the bottom of the water pan, the temperature shouldn't get above 100 degrees Celcius.

BOD said:
Leon-B.

I've finished carving the spoon (sorry no photo).

Bit confused by all the various threads on oiling boiling and finishing etc.

Once I've finished sanding the bowl should I just boil in olive oil or cold coat with oil?

Is this "London finish" worth doing remembering this is only a bush spoon?

Olive oil tends to thicken when heated so i would recommend either veg or sunflower oil. As leon say's heating the oil before putting the spoon in, will help to force air out of the wood and replace it with oil.....gives much better results in my experience :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
and heres the second attemt at a leather pouch, the first one i tryed was like the one g4ghb sent me but i decided to try something else, it is held together with some old brown shoe laces
leatherpouch001sd8.jpg

leatherpouch002ui0.jpg

the piece of antler is there to hold the lid flap on, but i have not secured it yet, i just placed it there for the photo
how could i attach it
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Drill a couple of holes through it mate then pass a loop of cord through it and the pouch and tie at the back. Or make a grrove in it like a toggle. Drilling would be more secure though

What do you want the flint for?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE