list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well there is a fence about 3 foot tall with a couple of trees next to it i could hide on the corner of that which would give a good view but it depends what way the wind is blowing, 7pm sounds good to me how long do you suggest i wait for, i cant do it today as i have cadets but maybe tommorow.
no i havent been able to light a featherstick with a firesteel yet, to be honest i havent actually tried to carve a featherstick yet thats something i must get round to.
ps: on monday at cadets we shot the number 8 rifle again, it was good fun
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I really must get a No.8 at some point (and a No. 5 ...the infamous "Jungle Carbine"). Still, my No. 4 will do for now :D

What range are you shooting at? 25 yards? 50?

If you go out just before 7, there will be no point in waiting more than an hour (or until you can't see any more ;))

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
it was on a 25 meter range
i will go down there tommorow at 6:30 and see what happens if nothing turns up by 7:30 i will leave
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds like a plan. Take sonme bins to scan if you have em. No real need for concealment if you sit low with a back to the trees and stay very quiet and still you'll have a good chance. Its an art in itself staying very still for that long, just listening and moving your eyes. Dress warmer than you think if sitting still you cool down quickly (its still warm though so don't overdo it)

Time to get out on a longer range with something with a little for "zing" soon methinks

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will defo go down there tommorow and i will post what i saw, do you think i will see anything
btw what did you mean by take some bins to scan if you have them
yes its time to get on a bigger range
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bin"oculars". A pair of decent binnoculars is every wildlife spotters friend. Should be very high on your Chritmas list. nothing too bulky or too high a power (they'll just shake unless tripod mounted). a good 8x pair is great - roof prism for preference but even a basic set of 8x20 folders for a tenner really help.

Have to get you shooting a proper .22 as well....maybe a competition against Bushbaby (my girlfriend)......you can beat a girl after all can't you?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
oh yes i have some binoculas that were given to me i will take them along, i think they are 8X magnification
has your girlfreind shot before?
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Once or twice Leon mate :D We tend to "patch" practice targets with bits of paper the size of a postage stamp. She's known as "one patch lass" at the club (she can cover the hole where she put twenty rounds with a stamp at 50m) ;)

Oh - she's better than me with a .22rf - this is her .22

dragunovrugerfs8.jpg

And this is mine

ruger2dr8.jpg

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
looks like it will have to be 7 pm as my mum still isnt back from the fish and chip shop, will this be ok, will i still have a chance of seeing the deer
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i went down at about 7 pm and stayed untill 8pm i took my binoculas and didnt see anything
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Newver mind mate - every time I go out looking that seems to happen - when I just wandering around at dusk I see loads :(

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i often see them in the daytime mostly in the woods but i did see one the other day right next to the park walking across the football pitch
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
there is an archery thing i have just found out about going on at the local village hall its from 10 am to 1pm every sunday should be good, i am definitely going to it i have only used a bow once so it should be good practice. really looking forward to it, i will tell you what it is like
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
lol
i used one about 4 years ago on a school trip to a sort of adventure place where you do team building games, go carting, climbing, abseiling that sort of stuff
abseiling and climbing where the best
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
British Red said:

Grrrrrrr! Thumbhole stock! :AR15firin :naughty:

By the way, I noticed I've been repped for sending that kit to you Leon, very nice of that person, I hope you are making good use of it and that it is serving you well. You have put something on the lip of the metal mug haven't you? If not, be careful as you may get scalded! :eek:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
spamel said:
Grrrrrrr! Thumbhole stock! :AR15firin :naughty:

By the way, I noticed I've been repped for sending that kit to you Leon, very nice of that person, I hope you are making good use of it and that it is serving you well. You have put something on the lip of the metal mug haven't you? If not, be careful as you may get scalded! :eek:
yes spamel thanks for that kit, no i havent put anyting on the lip of the mug, what do you reccomend i use
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry, missed your last as I am jumping back and forth between here and BB!! As to the lip guard, some people put tape on the lip of the mug, but I can't say it is hygienic!! My dad said something about using tin foil crumpled up and put over the lip after you finish cooking or boiling with the mug, I'm not too sure how well that will work either!! I used to boil water in my mess tin and only fill the cup about halfway, normally I was OK, but I burnt my liponce or twice! Be careful with it!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE