list to learn

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

If you learn to shoot a "spring gun", a pcp is a doddle. If you learn to shoot a pcp, a spring gun is hard. Personally I find a spring gun more like a live ammunition rifle in that there is an element of 'recoil' (actually not really recoil but its similar.

I would really recommend that you either learn with a very experienced shot or, best of all, join your local "Field Target" air rfile club. Find one that does "hunter field target". These guys will teach you proper gun safety and also things like understanding hold over, range finding etc that are all vital for field sports. A good grounding in the theory is invaluable when you come to hunt. Try camera stalking to improve your field craft whilst you learn to shoot in a safe controlled environment

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thenks for that i was leaning towards the spring loaded guns anyway as i dont like the fact that you have to fill the gun up with gas after x amount of shots
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't get me wrong Leon, pcps are great airguns and very efficient at small game control. They also have the advantage of a quick backup shot (that you should never need but nice to have). That said, for a similar sum to a good pcp, you could get an FAC and a great quality rimfire tuned by a good gunsmith - more range, greater variety of quarry and a more certain despatch. Either way, the trick is to get taught, properly, to shoot safely and consistently. If I was your mum, I wouldn't let you anywhere near any kind of firearm until you had been properly taught. Which means joining a club and turning up and shooting targets again and again until safety and accuracy are second nature. With field target these can be "animal shaped" and at a variety of (airgun suitable) ranges, so you will learn to "hold over" to compensate for bullet drop (or should I say pellet drop) and read wind etc. Seriously - try a shooting club first - your Dad may well take you. My Mum took me (at 12) and became a very, very good shot herself (when someone talked her into having a go after a couple of years)

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Women do tend to be good shots, I think it may have to do with them being more patient and I am told they don't breathe as deeply as men. Also, a lighter touch may stop them snatching the trigger. My wife says it may just simply be because women are better! :rolleyes:

It's good to learn to shoot safely though, and if you are with the cadets already, which I'm sure you said you were Leon, then you should have a good understanding of safe shooting already. You just need to remember there are no backdrops in the woods, your shot will keep going until it loses it's energy, so make sure your shot is clear behind.

I've never been in an air rifle club, but I can see the advantage of joining one and getting to use a wide range of different rifles before buying your own, and maybe even buying a rifle from a member when they want to upgrade.

I think Rapidboy is a bit of an airgunner, may be worth giving him a shout.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't I know it about women - Bushbaby (my GF) is known as "one patch lass" at the range :D Usually in a resigned tone of voice (used to be in a "fluke" tone - but its very consistent fluke. She only shoots offhand and almost always the same rifle. Beware the (wo)man with one gun :)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will search the net to find an airgun club thats near me, spamel you are right i am with the cadets and we have done a bit on guns and gun safety
i will give rapidboy a shout and see what he reccomends, meeting up with british red will also help with my airgun knowledge
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi
i gave rapidboy a shout and he was very helpful, he said go with a springloaded gun and hhe reccomended a few makes
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
So where's the one of you smiling ear to ear :D

You don't have to be sooooo serious all the time Leon ;)

Good on you. Great achievement.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My brother has bought one and is completely doing it up. I think he'll get stuck at changing the wheels but there you go!! I drove one years ago, dropped a valve whilst travelling to Barnstaple. It took five minutes from start to finish to get the engine out!! And that was with a trolley jack, a crawler board and a few dods of wood. Fantastic vehicle, a monkey could fix one.

Which reminds me, I've got to speak to rent-a-chimp for my brother as he wants to replace his windscreen next!!!! :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice, we have have two, the one you saw there and a 'crew cab' whic has 6 seats and a pickup bit at the back its a very early one and apparently its quite rareleon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes he was busy, you should of seen him run to get some tinder when i got an ember
leon

British Red said:
Leon,

Definitely - take you rifle shooting in the spring if you fancy it?

Big John,

I am experimenting a lot this year. I have slice some top to bottom, de-seeded and put in jars and then covered in olive oil. Some I have finely chopped in "circles" and put into small (cranberry sauce sized) jars and pickled in white wine vinegar. I have pricked some huge Fresno Chillis with a fork, packed them in a large kilner jar and covered in vinegar. I reckon slicing and vinegar is a sure fire way of preserving.

We use a lot of chillis so I want to get the technique right for growing a years supply next year. I suspect a combination of tchniques will be used in the end - half chillis in oil (chilli oil is so useful anyway) and sliced in clear vinegar. No blanching or spices needed with the pcikling - they are a joy to do! Planning on some chilli chutney with the last Jalapenos.

Everything is fruiting like mad this year - thought of you when filling my smock pockets with sloes tonight Leon - got a good few pounds so reckon theres a few bottles of sloe vodka to come (I'm not allowed Gin - I like it but it makes me a little errm...... cross?? ;))

Red

Hiya mate,

I slice them in half, deseed them and dry them in my airing cupboard, then i carry them with me to add to my meals when out and about ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hiya Fenlander mate.

BB is just about the best girlfriend a man can get but shes's fussy about her airing cupboard ;)...Bet that might work if I put em on the boiler though...haven't got an Aga now sadly which would be ideal....the ones in oil are looking great at the moment! The pickles are fine but they've gone that weird yellow colour that kebab ones have :)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im ordering a 3x3 tatonka tarp from andrew at outdoorcode tommorow night, it will be the cotton version as i dont wont the sparks to melt holes in it and it only costs £3.50 more, cant wait untill i can test it out
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have the sil nylon version and its fab mate.

BTW.
Picked up a new rifle Saturday which I think you might enyoy...its a Steyr Scout in .223 so not too fierce on the shoulder but a proper centre fire cartridge. Designed for light weight field use too so it has a built in bipod, light fluted barrel etc (means your arms don't drop off holding it :D).

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE