list to learn

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
British Red said:
I must have 200+ chillis waiting for the jar!

Hi Red, what are you doing with the chillis? I've grown them for the first time this year and they turned out better than expected! What are you bottling them in?

Do you throw them in whole or take the seeds out?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Definitely - take you rifle shooting in the spring if you fancy it?

Big John,

I am experimenting a lot this year. I have slice some top to bottom, de-seeded and put in jars and then covered in olive oil. Some I have finely chopped in "circles" and put into small (cranberry sauce sized) jars and pickled in white wine vinegar. I have pricked some huge Fresno Chillis with a fork, packed them in a large kilner jar and covered in vinegar. I reckon slicing and vinegar is a sure fire way of preserving.

We use a lot of chillis so I want to get the technique right for growing a years supply next year. I suspect a combination of tchniques will be used in the end - half chillis in oil (chilli oil is so useful anyway) and sliced in clear vinegar. No blanching or spices needed with the pcikling - they are a joy to do! Planning on some chilli chutney with the last Jalapenos.

Everything is fruiting like mad this year - thought of you when filling my smock pockets with sloes tonight Leon - got a good few pounds so reckon theres a few bottles of sloe vodka to come (I'm not allowed Gin - I like it but it makes me a little errm...... cross?? ;))

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes our sloe gin is on the go and hopefully will be ready by christmas, i would love to come shootin with you in the spring it would be great fun, what do you shoot
leon

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
leon have my made a primitive bow and your own arrows yet? Start with a simple bamboo bow and work up to a nice flat bow or long bow. You can teach yourself how to make arrows and fletching from Turkey feathers etc.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
no i havent yet have you got any tips on how to make one
leon

Has Wayne got tips on bows ...owww there goes a rib laughing (Wayne teaches field archery Leon....not that you could have known....its like asking Shing for tips on knives or Fenlander if he's ever watched wildlife!).

As for shooting it would be targets the first time I take you. I can do most kind of rifles, but most people like some historic stuff (say a Lee Enfield .303, a flintlock etc.), something from the old West (black powder revolver, Winchester under lever etc.), a "space gun" (.22 semi automatic, Steyr Scout etc.). Trying all of them should give you a taster for the calibres and type of shooting you like....maybe a bit of "action shotgun" could be arranged as well ;)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes sounds good fun, the only to guns i have shot are my mates air rifle and the no 8 rifle at cadets, i really would like to buy an air rifle but my mum wont let me, nothing a bit of persuading cant doleon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow...that'll be fun then...we'll take you down to the range with a boot full of rifles ...that'll get you 4 or 5 to try...but the guys at the club always like a new member so you can probably try a few more!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Couple of tricked up .22s, .357 magnum Marlin (like a Winchester), .223 Steyr and ...probably my Lee Enfield .303 for a real "shoulder muncher" experience :D

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sounds good fun i have never fired a gun that comes back on your shoulder much so i am a bit worried about that but i will be having to much fun i will probebly forget about it, wayne thanks im looking forward to it
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Don't worry mate - I won't give you anythong you can't handle. The reason I picked out that lot is we can walk through a variety of calibres till we find the ones you are comfortable with. It will all be done on a proper range under approved Home Office instruction. In other words "we'll go easy on you" :). If you are anything like me at that age though its all good fun - especially the historic stuff - we have a couple of guys who wander up with rifles and drop in to the conversation "oh yes its an original ...it was used at Waterloo (or Rourkes drift or wherever)". Chappy had a Baker rifle there a couple of weeks ago...awesome rifle ....truly an experience to fire

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Red, If you ever make the trip over, I will take you out to shoot
my friend's Barrett .50 semi.

It will make your eyes water.

Over and over! Too much fun. My 14 YO son loved it.

That's my son at the bench.
P0001801.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks fun weaver! I remember shooting a friends 416 Rigby and being amazed it chrono'd at a higher velocity than my .303 - it was shooting 400 grain heads. I recall thinking....thats something like 5000 ft lbs of energy...probably a bit much for bunnies then :D

Tony is quite forgiving of our occasional chats about rif***s - we just try to remember not to do it too much to save the site being locked out by peoples employers and their "surf patrol" software :rolleyes:

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i would love to that we will have to arrange a date nearer the time, it would be good to go through some of the calibers and see wat i like
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would like to buy an air rifle ( when i persuade my mum ) could you give me some ideas, pcp or spring loaded etc i like the look of the pcp rifles but there a bit pricy for me. my uncle owns lots and lots of land and we go shooting there every year so im sure he would let me practice there
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE