list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi, i am now experimenting with bannock, i am using self raising flour,salt,marg and water
that is all i will tell u lot if it is tasty when i have finished
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

If its for bread, try adding a little milk powder. For a more "cake" like finish, add some brown sugar, and maybe some fruit - a few sultanas and glace cherries and you get something like fruit cake. Or, add an egg and make it runnier (tomato soup consistency). Then fry it as a pancake - yumm :D

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i have never made it with milk powder i will have to get my mum to buy some
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Doesn't need to fancy, theres a sort that comes in a plastic Milk Bottle called "five pints" ( cos it makes five pints of milk). Its useful for extended trips for tea and coffee etc. as well as bannock. Its worth keeping all the ingredients separate so you can use the salt, milk powder, marge etc. for other purposes (hence the little bottles and pots we all collect). Why not get some blackberries and bake some in cake or pancake?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Recipe? Bannock? :D

Whatever you did last time to make bannock, add a three or four desert spoons of sugar (I like brown, but whites fine) and a couple of handfuls of blackberries - thats it mate!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Bung it in the oven - medium heat (about 180 - 200) mate. In the field, bake it in your Billy can in the embers or use a Dutch Oven

Red

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Heres a list of some stuff I have used in bannock/pancakes:

Walnut Oil. (use it instead of margarine, or fry pancakes in a little oil).

Ground Almonds. (just add a spoonful when mixing dry ingredients).

Pistachio nuts. (or any other nuts you fancy. These need to be bashed up small, and don't add too many, or they stop the dough from rising).

Dried Fruit. (any kind you fancy. soak it in a plastic bottle for a couple of hours, drain it and chop it up small).

Olives. (chopped up small).

Sun Dried Tomatoes. (same as above).

Herbs. (either freshly picked, or dried. Only use less than a Teaspoonfull).

Cheese. ("Stinkier" the better, Parmesan, Stilton, Goat cheese. Either add a small amount to the dough, or stick it on the top, like cheese on toast).

Bacon/Salami. (chopped up small).

Now......Wheres my frying pan gone? :p

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
mmm... sounds tasty! Was out camping last week on the North york moors had bannocks with early blackberrys in them, purple and delicious! :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks guys will defo try some of these recipes they sound tasty
ps. i have just ordered my m65 jacket and hopefully it will arrive soon, it will be a bit big but i'll grow
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Picture time when it turns up Leon!

My SASS Ventile smock is big on me (I'll probablygrow into it too :D). Great for fitting layers underneath though

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will send pictures, yes it will definitetly allow for layers underneath
ps. i like your new picture
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cheers mate, don't let your avatar chase my avatar though :). Someone asked me about my foum name so I showed them a picture and thought ....aha new avatar! Was watching countryfile today and one guy has a full time job as a "Red Squirrel Warden" - how cool is that? Patrol the reserve keeping out the American Greys. I suspect it may not work long term, but hey, great job for a while! I remember when I was a lot younger than you having them sit in my hands and eat peanuts (the Red ones that is). Cute little devils, I have a real soft spot for them

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
British Red said:
Cheers mate, don't let your avatar chase my avatar though :). Someone asked me about my foum name so I showed them a picture and thought ....aha new avatar! Was watching countryfile today and one guy has a full time job as a "Red Squirrel Warden" - how cool is that? Patrol the reserve keeping out the American Greys. I suspect it may not work long term, but hey, great job for a while! I remember when I was a lot younger than you having them sit in my hands and eat peanuts (the Red ones that is). Cute little devils, I have a real soft spot for them

Red
whats countrylifefile is it a tv program if it is i might have to check it out
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Countryfile on Sundays mate BBC1 - good programme - part farming part country matters (hunting, woodland mangement etc.). Nothing very in depth but quite interesting round up of country news - well worth a look. Do you really get Red squirrels (as opposed to Greys?)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE