list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yup you got a deal
what is it? lol
i will get to work tommorow and post pics as soon as i'm done, if its no good i can always take the cotton thread out cant I
leon

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
leon-b said:
yup you got a deal

Good :D

leon-b said:
what is it? lol
:lmao: - it is a leather odds and sods pouch, (hand stitched) I use it to keep my firelighting kit in - if you line it with a plastic ziploc type sandwich bag they make great bags to store your bannock ingredients too.

leon-b said:
i will get to work tommorow and post pics as soon as i'm done, if its no good i can always take the cotton thread out cant I
leon

You can indeed! - is the fabric cotton or poly cotton - if polycotton it would be better (in my limited opinion) to use a nylon thread

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
leon-b said:
but how will you know that its my mum thats telling you?
leon

:lmao: - you could take a piccie of her witten 'confession' perhaps?

- then again it is your conscious....... ;) - i'll leave it up to you to decide mate! :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will skip posting a pic of her signed confession, dont worry i wont lie
leon

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
leon-b said:
im not sure it feels like really thick cotton
leon

either way i'd still go for something like polyester thread - it's much stronger!

and backstitching is better than a straight running stitch. (here is a link to a clear 'stitches' website)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am going to town tommorow so i will pick up some thick thread green should do, and i will backstich it

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i done a bit of sewing back when i was in primary school and this is the stich we used it seems fairly easy
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i know you didnt lol
i will start tommorrow and hopefully post te pics that night
i'll be lying in my sleeping bag under my tarp in a little while
leon

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
well if it's anything there like it is here then you will have a nice night!

sleep well! night night!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
leon-b said:
we are just having a brew i will use pine for fuel as it burns fast and gives out a load of heat do you think i have made the rigt choices
leon

Leon, great to see your enthusiasm, keep it up. :grouphug:

One thing that I say to my explorer scouts is don't get too hung up on what wood you are burning when you start out, just pick up what is available and see what happens when you set fire to it Quite often you have to make do with what is readiuly available anyway. :D

After a while you will get to recognise the burning properties by how the wood feels in your hand, roughly speaking the lighter it is to pick up the quicker it will catch fire but it won't last too long and conversely denser heaveir wood will last longer.

The ideal is to start with stuff that lights easily and have some denser stuff ready and waiting to take over once the light stuff is goning nicely.

You could do worse than see if you can get hold of a cheap BBQ and practice firelighting in your back garden.

Z

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
leon-b said:
i cant sew at all i am completely hopeless
leon
Somebody once showed me a really useful trick for sewing stright seams which involed using Grpah paper as a pattern.

Cut a sheet of graph paper into 2cm strips then clue them together so it forms one long strip but trim the ends and line them up so the grid is contiuous over the joins (if you see what I mean) and you end up with a 2M paper tape of graph paper.

Stick a length of this where you are going to sew with double sided tape and then stitch TROUGH the paper using the grid to tell you where to poke the needle. When you are done just tear out the graph paper. :D

If you want to make fancy paterns then just draw them on the graph paper first, uisng sepeate lines to represent each stich. Its easier than it sounds.

I can't guarantee that it will work forst time but it has helped me loads over the years :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Zodiak said:
Leon, great to see your enthusiasm, keep it up. :grouphug:

One thing that I say to my explorer scouts is don't get too hung up on what wood you are burning when you start out, just pick up what is available and see what happens when you set fire to it Quite often you have to make do with what is readiuly available anyway. :D

After a while you will get to recognise the burning properties by how the wood feels in your hand, roughly speaking the lighter it is to pick up the quicker it will catch fire but it won't last too long and conversely denser heaveir wood will last longer.

The ideal is to start with stuff that lights easily and have some denser stuff ready and waiting to take over once the light stuff is goning nicely.

You could do worse than see if you can get hold of a cheap BBQ and practice firelighting in your back garden.

Z

when it came round to lighting the fire i did indeed just use what was available regardless of what wood it was
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i had a great night and it was warm inside my sleeping bag
not sure what sleeping bag it is but my mums mate got it from the army for me, it has a cental zip down the middle and is olive green any ideas
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have finished sewing my bag and it wasnt that hard once i got going, i backstiched it to get it as strong as i could, one thing i will do next time is make the stiches smaller, but the bag is useable i will post some pictures soon
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
here is my bag sorry about the poor photo its either the camera is not very good or its me, i reckon its me
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE