Lightweight kit and Camping

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Hi All,

Dont want to start a LONG thread here. Just looking for advice from those who may have saved a lightweight camping lists and advice from previous threads.

Reason In the past during hillwalking did not mind carrying heavy kit but now my 2 boys join me aged 10 and 8 and I carry their kit as well. So looking to lighten my kit eg All for mountains in Lake District

lightweight boots, clothing, daysac etc

Last edited by a moderator:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
You will lighten your load if you encourage the youngsters even at those ages to carry their own. This will make them
feel more grown up, and make them take some responsibility for themselves, besides, should you be unfortunate enough
to have an accident of any kind, it means that they have their own gear on their person, and therefore be protected from
the elements, should you have had a fall and be out of their reach. They will enjoy the feeling of independence too.
Do enjoy yourselves at the Lakes. Start off with something simple like Cat Bells or Castle Hill, You may very well know
them , but if not you will find they have more things of interest, Cat Bells has great views all the way, and Castle Hill
has lots of interesting bits that I will leave as a surprise if you don't know it already. Re gear, which was your actual
question. Most of the Hillwalking and outdoor books you will find have sample lists of what to take, and I am sure that
you will get a few responses on here.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
ol smokey has a very good question - what do you already have? And the next question is, what do you want to do? Are you car camping, are you going to walk a couple of miles, etc? And when? Summer means lighter kit, etc.

We've just come back from North Scotland with our eight and eleven year old kids, and there was a lot of moaning about walking. To be fair, a lot of the ground was quite boggy, and it rained a lot, but a couple of miles each way (especially up hill) was seen as a lot by them. So be realistic - its not a selection for the SAS, its a trip out with Dad.

For their kit (fleeces, trousers, waterproofs), cheapish Go Outdoors, Millets, Blacks, etc was fine, apart from boots, which we got for my daughter from Cotswolds. Around £45, but they have to fit and they have to work (the Cotswold Explorer card can either get you money off, or at least a freebie). For my eight year old son, boots are much thinner on the ground, which is part of the reason he was less inclinded to want to walk all that far in trainers.

As far as your kit is concerned, the biggest and heaviest things are sleeping bags, sleeping mats and tents. If you paying £40 for a sleeping bag, its going to be pretty big or pretty cold. The saying 'you can have it cheap, you can have it light, and you can have it good - chose any two' is very apt. If you can stretch to down, then Alpkit is your best bet, or for synthetic, Mountain Hardware does a highly rated range of their Lamina series, which are not much heavier than down. Alpkit has a good comparison list on their website about sleeping mats, and their mats are back. Tents? The heavier, the cheaper, but a three man tent is just about OK for an adult and two kids, but its going to be tightish. Millets keep emailing me about offers, but if your lightening up, its going to cost you. I chose a Zephyros 2 over a Banashee, because the weight was so much less, for not much more money.

Best advice I can give is to write out what you want to do, how far your going to walk, etc, plus a kit list of what you (and they) already have. You can't do much about their sleeping bags - they are going to be cheapish and big (the £35 bag we bought for my daughter a while back is huge), but they can probably carry those (although find a decent pack that fits them is going to be a bit of a pain - normal schoolish rucksacks are your best bet, but your not going to get a sleeping bag in them). And dont take the ones with a velcro fixing on the straps - OK to avoid them strangling each other at school, but they will pop in the middle of nowhere and then you've had it. Decent socks, waterproofs, etc will all help. Alpkits drybags are excellent value.

The Cotswold catalogue is very useful (you will get it free if you get one of their explorer cards) - because you get to see what stuff weighs, costs, etc. Much easier than going from website to website. And look at Outdoor Magic - this kind of question comes up regularly.

Ultimately though, they are kids, which means they can't walk that far, and dont want to get too cold or soaked. Personally, I'd car camp, plus a bit of walking. If you want to lighten up your kit, thats great, but I suspect by the time you've bought some of their stuff, you wont have much cash left!

rg598

Native
Here is a video I made a while back going over my gear lest at the time. I've made some changes since then (Mountain Hardwear Direkt II tent, Black Diamond Speed 40 pack, etc), but maybe it can give you some ideas. I mention the weight of each piece of gear in the video.

[video=youtube;m8o95Dug4rY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8o95Dug4rY[/video]

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi All,

Dont want to start a LONG thread here. Just looking for advice from those who may have saved a lightweight camping lists and advice from previous threads.

Reason In the past during hillwalking did not mind carrying heavy kit but now my 2 boys join me aged 10 and 8 and I carry their kit as well. So looking to lighten my kit eg All for mountains in Lake District

lightweight boots, clothing, daysac etc

Stuff sacks, ortleib bags etc. can add a fair amount of weight along with gizmo storage pouches and such.

I use rubble bags to keep sleeping bags and clothes dry, don't try and pack them outside the pack but rather put the open bag into the bottom of the rucksack and then fill it, once half full twist the top and ram it down. Repeat with the rest of your gear.

P5050049-1.JPG

Snugpack response packs and the rest will keep all your doo-dads organised but will add to your load, instead keep things in the pockets of a packed coat or roll them up into a jumper or similar, perhaps using a couple of truckers hitches on the rolled item so that your gear is tight and secure.

P4120037.JPG

If you are walking in the summer consider a sleeping bag designed for the UK summer, this can often be much lighter than the ones most of us carry.

A lightweight pack can same you many grams and isn't necessarily any less strong, in fact my chosen pack the Crux AK 47 is arguably stronger and more bomb proof than any military bergan out there.

I hope this helps.

:)

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
You will lighten your load if you encourage the youngsters even at those ages to carry their own. This will make them
feel more grown up, and make them take some responsibility for themselves, besides, should you be unfortunate enough
to have an accident of any kind, it means that they have their own gear on their person, and therefore be protected from
the elements, should you have had a fall and be out of their reach. They will enjoy the feeling of independence too.
Do enjoy yourselves at the Lakes. Start off with something simple like Cat Bells or Castle Hill, You may very well know
them , but if not you will find they have more things of interest, Cat Bells has great views all the way, and Castle Hill
has lots of interesting bits that I will leave as a surprise if you don't know it already. Re gear, which was your actual
question. Most of the Hillwalking and outdoor books you will find have sample lists of what to take, and I am sure that
you will get a few responses on here.

Great minds -just been up Cat Bells with them on Tuesday and it was that trip that made me think of this question

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Always try on packs before buying. I like the AK47 design a lot but it was uncomfortable front of shoulders due to the straps one me loaded with just 5kg shop weights. A good design does not mean it will be comfortable for you. Having said that crux and their sister company Lightwave make very good sacks and tents IMO.

Kids sacks are being sold that are at least as good as adult ones. Look at osprey kids sacks if you don't believe me. I bought my neice one for £35 and it was exactly what some of my adult family members want in a sack. Suitable for 7 and up the one I got and it looked just like an adult sack. Buy a set of good outdoor rucksacks for your boys and teach them a degree of self reliance. Sorry for giving my opinion here but at that age they should be carrying at least some of their own kit. I walked with a sack from about 8 or 9. Sometimes I even carried the one my Dad used complete with their kit in. I reckon a lot of kids will see it as growing up and be kinda proud to be responsible for themselves. I seem to remember I would struggle on no matter how tired I was with my rucksack rather than let my Dad take some of my load. Stubborn pride I think if that makes sense.

So if they are carrying their own waterproofs and lunch on a day walk you could possible pass off a rucksack when camping out too. That way you have a bulky item out of your sack.

If camping out the big three are the weight savers, tent, sleeping bag and rucksack. MSR hubba series are light and easily capable of fitting 3 of you in their 3 and 4 man versions. You should be able to carry 2.1kg tent on your own but perhaps the older kid could carry the poles. Neo air type mates are light and compact so you can fit 3 in the sack (smaller ones for kids perhaps). Sleeping bag I have covered in that try and get one or more kid to carry their own. Rucksack my preference is lightwave or crux but that is down to what works for you.

Boots? Try moving to fell shoes perhaps with dry socks. Might not suit but it works well if it does.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haha, you're a nice Dad doing the carrying. My Dad used to take great delight reminding me that a few generations ago I.wouldn' have even been on holiday but sweeping chimneys or ploughing a field.
Some good advice and kids kit is coming on in leaps and bounds. Don't have to spend a real fortune on top end breathable GTX (kids don't have fully developed sweat system anyway). Main things I'd look at are well fitted boots (most important bit of kit and see i any retailers near you do a kids boot exchange scheme to keep costs down). Next up would be their rucksacks. Try to get them into the habit of wearing both straps (and hip belt if there is one) as that and proper packing will make life more comfortable for them. Also distraction through games like I Spy, getting them to help navigate or collect certain things takes their mind off of walking and eats up the miles. Also regular refuel stops with something like G.O.R.P. & Ribenna® helps to stop them flagging. Weirdly too making a simple walking staff with them also seems to.help eat up the miles.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Well,

A bag 1.5kg
Water 2kg
Clothes 750g
Fuel 1kg
Food 5kg

Is 10.25 kg

Then sleepong,
A mat 300g
Sleeping bag 1kg
Tent 2kg

Then cooking
Stove 250g
Pan 400g
Windshield 150g

Then the bits and bobs, like cup cutlery posibilities headphones.

3kg

For a total of 17.45kg. I know it's not lightweight, but anybody who goes for 5 days tends to take a fair ammount of food. The water food and fuel would do for all 3 I would think.

If the kids start out with 1kg of clothes 1kg sleeping bag 200g of mat, a cup cutlery hygene( daddy's boys I would think will be iron clad in the comfort dept) you should even be able to lighten your pack !

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thanks all some great advice. Tried fell shoes (Paul_B) slipped all over so going back to boots looking for a lightweight pair

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Which fell shoes? Different ones for different terrain. Terroc from innov8 I believe are slippy on muddy fells. I found roclite to be a good shoe for a wide range of terrain. They don't last long but get them cheaper from shopping around and it softens the financial outlay each year. Mine used to last 3 to 4 months.
I've switched to boots again since I'm carrying a toddler at times in a carrier and I felt I was stuffing my shoes badly so I thought tough boots to save money. They're heavy and tiring for long walks but I don't do them anymore. It's shorter walks because I have a 2.5 year old who's a keen walker but he's not able to walk fast or much more than a couple of miles so heavy boots are OK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE