Lightweight boot recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I have a really comfortable lightweight pair of Meindl walking boots but they have leaked a couple of times recently. I'm now looking for something to replace them with. Basically I'm a light user doing typically one three hour walk over open countryside once a week. I have spotted these but wonder what other recommendations you guys might make. I am happy to pay up to £150 for the right boot but they must be very comfortable, waterproof and light.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Explorer-Trail-Light-Hiking/dp/B001VH6G0O

Suggestions?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
If you are buying fabric boots then you are not buying waterproof boots, no matter the cost or materials. I say this as a big fan of fabric and goretex boots going back to when they were first introduced in the 80s, but the friction, flexing and wear of being used in footwear breaks down the membrane in goretex and other waterproof fabrics and they will then leak. You have to offset that against their lightness and breathablility. I always treat mine as water resistant , expect them to get wet in heavy rain or standing water , but to then dry quickly compared to leather.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had good service from my Salomon Fastpacker Mids, they're a low cut goretex lined fabric boot. My first pair started leaking after about 40 miles so I sent them back, my second pair have around 200 miles on them now and they're still waterproof.

For total lightweight I prefer a trail running show, currently using the Salomon Speedcross 3. Not waterproof so your feet get wet crossing rivers, jumping through bogs etc etc, they soon dry out as you walk but when I stop for the night I put on a pair of ankle length Sealskinz and my feet stay warm and dry. It takes some getting used to but sometimes it's easier to accept having wet feet occasionally, they will dry out after an hour or so whereas a lined boot wouldn't.

Salomon are a really nice fit for my feet so I tend to try their offerings first.

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
If you are buying fabric boots then you are not buying waterproof boots, no matter the cost or materials. I say this as a big fan of fabric and goretex boots going back to when they were first introduced in the 80s, but the friction, flexing and wear of being used in footwear breaks down the membrane in goretex and other waterproof fabrics and they will then leak. You have to offset that against their lightness and breathablility. I always treat mine as water resistant , expect them to get wet in heavy rain or standing water , but to then dry quickly compared to leather.

Thanks; I hadn't considered that. I do have a leather pair but they are of course that much heavier.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I have some Brasher superlite @ 1122gms the pair. They are one piece leather and I found them comfortable but I would say that Brasher boots do not suit everyone and whatever you buy it would be best to try them to make sure they are right for you. There's nothing worse than boots that cause discomfort.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
I've had good service from my Salomon Fastpacker Mids, they're a low cut goretex lined fabric boot. My first pair started leaking after about 40 miles so I sent them back, my second pair have around 200 miles on them now and they're still waterproof.

For total lightweight I prefer a trail running show, currently using the Salomon Speedcross 3. Not waterproof so your feet get wet crossing rivers, jumping through bogs etc etc, they soon dry out as you walk but when I stop for the night I put on a pair of ankle length Sealskinz and my feet stay warm and dry. It takes some getting used to but sometimes it's easier to accept having wet feet occasionally, they will dry out after an hour or so whereas a lined boot wouldn't.

Salomon are a really nice fit for my feet so I tend to try their offerings first.

Thanks for the link! Love that top pair.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Typically the best lightweight boots upland hunting boots made from kangaroo leather. And tese are in your price range: www.nextag.com/upland-boots-kangaroo/compare
Cabela's also has a good selection and pricing but I can't link directly to their upland boots. Here's a link to Cabela's main page though: www.cabelas.com once there you can search their site by typing "kangaroo hunting boots" into their search bar and find them.

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Typically the best lightweight boots upland hunting boots made from kangaroo leather. And tese are in your price range: www.nextag.com/upland-boots-kangaroo/compare
Cabela's also has a good selection and pricing but I can't link directly to their upland boots. Here's a link to Cabela's main page though: www.cabelas.com once there you can search their site by typing "kangaroo hunting boots" into their search bar and find them.

I learn something everyday! Kangaroo boots! They look great anyhow.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
That's an impressive price but I note it does not mention Goretex and wonder over the long run will they still keep the water out?

Yeh, there's no goretex, but they still keep water out unless properly emerged
Atb
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i cant believe anyone has said Altberg sneeker elite, they are light waterproof and goretex, designed for military so hard wearing high leg so no problems with long wet grass getting them wet and fine with streams and bogs (as long as they dont go over the tops) worth a punt, im getting some soon, my friend has some and they are in year number 6 so far, with no problems, Altberg also offer a re-soling process for £30 so even if the soles wear out they can be replaced and the boots carry on life work....have a look they are very good....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE