Knives and the Law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Thanks Keith...but I still don't understand how if "the law is worded using Imperial measures", Trading standards can prosocute for selling veg in the same measurements? ? ?
In the same way that rulers are available with both markings on them....so are most scales..... But I couldn't see anywhere in the various acts where it says 3inches/7.5cm..... :?:

What if I was convicted and took the case to the European court....would the judge there know what an inch was? Maybe it could be overturned there....maybe not....

just something I was interested in :eek:):

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
bambodoggy said:
Thanks Keith...but I still don't understand how if "the law is worded using Imperial measures", Trading standards can prosocute for selling veg in the same measurements? ? ?
In the same way that rulers are available with both markings on them....so are most scales..... But I couldn't see anywhere in the various acts where it says 3inches/7.5cm..... :?:

What if I was convicted and took the case to the European court....would the judge there know what an inch was? Maybe it could be overturned there....maybe not....

just something I was interested in :eek:):

I was just having a bit of a laugh, since Danzo hasn't had time to come back to answer yet.

I think that if you tried to argue the toss with the inches and millimetres, you'd be found guilty and get the maximum penalty. I'm pretty certain that the magistrates would decide that "Weights and Measures" rulings on S.I. units for trading is one thing, and that it has no bearing on the 3" limit in section 139 of the Crim. Jus. Act.

Your logic could be applied to speed limits, too; except that the speedo in your car is calibrated to mph.

When I come back to the UK in my car, with the speedo in kph, I often wonder "now, how much is 130kph in real money?"...

Keith.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yer...I think you're most likely right but hey...might be worth an ask!

See what Danzo comes back with! :wave:

(I believe most UK cars have both MPH and KPH marked on them now - although MPH is bigger).

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
First time I've read this thread, must say the link to Bcuk knife law is a fantastic article that Danzo did, well done and thanks :wave:

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Thanks Chris!

:biggthump

I haven't dug anything specific up yet but there is a general assumption that any measurement referred to in legislation will include other units of measurement.

That's probabaly enough to get you Bambo, sorry!

Danzo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE