Knives and the Law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
I don't know, to be honest. Some legislation is and some isn't. Probably because although we supposedly are a metric country now many people still operate in imperial measures. Very few people tell you how many kilometres it is to a place or how much something weighs in kilograms.

:?:

Danzo

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Danzo said:
Ignorance of the law is no excuse, I'm afraid.

:wink:

Danzo

No....I found that out the hard way once!!! :yikes:

But I wasn't thinking along the lines of an ignorance defence, more along the lines of an inaccurate (and therefore maybe unenforceable) law....surely it is up to the Judishery (sorry my spelling is so bad) to ensure that laws are accurate and up to date?

I agree about distance in miles but as I said below if you don't sell items in metric in say a fruit and veg shop you can fall foul of the law there! Madness! :rolmao:

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
bambodoggy said:
No....I found that out the hard way once!!! :yikes:

But I wasn't thinking along the lines of an ignorance defence, more along the lines of an inaccurate (and therefore maybe unenforceable) law....surely it is up to the Judishery (sorry my spelling is so bad) to ensure that laws are accurate and up to date?

It's the role of Parliament to update the law. The judiciary simply enforce the law as laid down by Parliament.

Of course the judges also set precedents by making decisions in cases, such as the famous Harris v DPP which restricted the carrying of lock knives. However once they have set a precedent the onus passes to Parliament to alter or amend it.

Blimey, I end up explaining the law in my lunchbreak as well!

:eek:):

Danzo

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Danzo said:
Ignorance of the law is no excuse, I'm afraid.

:wink:

Danzo

Oooo....oooo, also, I would suggest that you are not Ignorant of the law but rather Ignorant of the outdated measurements used.... Is there a difference do you think Danzo?

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
bambodoggy said:
Oooo....oooo, also, I would suggest that you are not Ignorant of the law but rather Ignorant of there outdated measurements used.... Is there a difference do you think Danzo?

Possibly..........

I'll go and see if I can find anything on this.

:biggthump

Danzo

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
bambodoggy said:
Sorry Matey...I was being nosey! lol Thanks for your input, I'll leave you to eat your lunch in peace now! :eek:):

No worries. I'll go and see what I can find about ignorance of specific weights and measures: it's an intriguing proposition!

Danzo

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
it is a fair point.. while i can use metric or imperial measurements.. i find metric much easier for the simple reason that it has always been there for me i was taught it all the way though school.. i am sure that younger generations than my self will be even less likely to know imperial as people are more more starting to measure themselvs in meters and cm which is the only area where imperial has been used to any great extent in my life.. and i know people my age who would have trouble telling you how big three inches was.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
and i know people my age who would have trouble telling you how big three inches was.

Fortunately my wife has no understanding of how long 8inches is!!! lol :rolmao: :nana: :rolmao:

Wups...hope that's not in need of moderating! :yikes:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
tomtom said:
it is a fair point.. while i can use metric or imperial measurements.. i find metric much easier for the simple reason that it has always been there for me i was taught it all the way though school.. i am sure that younger generations than my self will be even less likely to know imperial as people are more more starting to measure themselvs in meters and cm which is the only area where imperial has been used to any great extent in my life.. and i know people my age who would have trouble telling you how big three inches was.

I've read articles in the Press, and maybe on the BBC website, where short distances were given metres, longer distances in kilometres, and speeds in miles per hour.

I don't know how tall I am in SI units, don't know my shoe size in the continental scale, and don't know what sizes to look for in clothing...

This makes for interesting conversations in the shops in France.

girl: "Can I help you, sir?"
me: "I'm looking for a plain white shirt"
girl: "What size?"
me: "Seventeen and three quarters"
girl: "Pardon?"
me: "Seventeen and three quarter inch collar"
girl: "What's an inch?"

Trousers are even more fun..... ;)

Keith.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
tomtom said:

I was taught the metric system all the way though school too, but when I left, I swiftly forgot it and learnt imperial.....I'll not be dictated which units I have to measure things in!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
If I'm on foot I think in terms of metres and kilometres. If I'm in the car I think of miles and miles per hour. If I'm doing woodwork or metalwork I use centimetres and millimetres. If I'm weighing things its kilogrammes and grammes but if its a pig or a person its in pounds and stones. I think I'm confused!!

george

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
george said:
If I'm on foot I think in terms of metres and kilometres. If I'm in the car I think of miles and miles per hour. If I'm doing woodwork or metalwork I use centimetres and millimetres. If I'm weighing things its kilogrammes and grammes but if its a pig or a person its in pounds and stones. I think I'm confused!!

george

Which.....was my original point, how can the law convict if it's using a system (Imperial) that other courts are prosecuting for using (wights and measurement of cabbage and cheese etc) and that the younger generation don't understand....and slightly older generation are confused over.

As I said, I don't think it would work as a defence but I'm interested to see what Danzo comes back with :eek:):

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
bambodoggy said:
Which.....was my original point, how can the law convict if it's using a system (Imperial) that other courts are prosecuting for using (wights and measurement of cabbage and chease etc) and that the younger generation don't understand....and slightly older generation are confused over.

As I said, I don't think it would work as a defence but I'm interested to see what Danzo comes back with :eek:):

leagle beagle said:
The Weights and Measures act governing the units obligatorily used for trading purposes is not applicable to the units used to measure a blade in order to decide if an offence has been committed.

Ignorance of the law is no defence; the law is worded using Imperial measures.

Rulers and tape measures in Imperial units are widely available in the U.K. and it is not unreasonable to expect the individual to be able to verify conformity with the law.

That will be sixteen guineas six shilling fourpence and a farthing, please.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE