Carrying an Axe/Knife and the Law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No that rubbishing was because any such provocative protest comes under the 'disturbing the peace' bit of Scottish law.

To organise such a march requires permission, not only from the police but from city or regional councils. Such a march in these days of litigation requires insurance, risk assessments, first aiders, and fees paid to the civic authorities to clean up afterwards and for the police presense that clears the roads and stops others of a differing view interfering with the march. It must also not clash with holidays, major sporting events (West Scotland, sectarianism might be dying but it's no' deid yet :sigh:), rush hour or impede access for fire and ambulance services to any building that the march passes. It must not pass a hospital with any disturbance and it must respect places of worship, burial grounds and memorials.

It's not quite as easy as just saying to folks, "Turn up in full kit next Saturday in George Square"

M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
While I'm not there obviously and have no first hand knowledge of your "caution" system, From everything I've seen here on the forum, in this and other threads, this answer seems completely logical.

The question is, will they feel strongly enough about it to detain you for further investigation? If so, do you have time to burn during said detention? (even if you're absolutely sure you'll prevail in the long run)

I think that's why many are concerned about the prospect of being offered the choice. If they accept the caution, they have a permanent blot on their records. If they refuse it and are detained (even if they subsequently prevail) They might be in a position where they miss a critical appointment with equally permanent consequences.

That's a very difficult situation, and there is no universal answer, everyone has to make an individual judgement call in that situation. I wouldn't want to spend any time being processed by the police and banged up in a cell until I get bail. I know what it is like, I have been there. However in these latter days I work with an organisation that requires me to have regular enhanced CRB checks. That would include not only convictions that would otherwise have been considered served, but would involve cautions too and it would not look good on my record so I would fight it. When you are young, you often don't think of the consequences that could occur later in your life. You want to avoid hassle and inconvenience so you might well take a caution, but I would not advise it as in the present anti knife climate it certainly makes you look criminal in the eyes of the "precious".

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That's a very difficult situation, and there is no universal answer, everyone has to make an individual judgement call in that situation. I wouldn't want to spend any time being processed by the police and banged up in a cell until I get bail. I know what it is like, I have been there. However in these latter days I work with an organisation that requires me to have regular enhanced CRB checks. That would include not only convictions that would otherwise have been considered served, but would involve cautions too and it would not look good on my record so I would fight it. When you are young, you often don't think of the consequences that could occur later in your life. You want to avoid hassle and inconvenience so you might well take a caution, but I would not advise it as in the present anti knife climate it certainly makes you look criminal in the eyes of the "precious".

That is my worry to, I coach youth football and also for scouts which mean I have to have the enhanced crb check.

Im also led to believe that they do checks at work every so often too, so being a train driver and recieving a caution for carrying an illiegal weapon on a train prob wouldnt sit well with my bosses lol.

Thanks for all the info everyone, if the need arises like I have read I will quite clearly not accept it and turn the ball round on them in the most polite way possible.

Cheers guys

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thread locked.

I'm coming into this one late, it's quite the read and I'd like to ask people to stay on track with this thread, it's about knives/edged tools in scotland, which I'd say overlaps into the UK as a whole, it's got nothing to do with other countries and especially nothing to do with Guns etc, the original question doesn't encourage moving off the subject and this threads need to stay on subject because it's one of those threads that has so much potential to go down hill and then get binned.

So, keep it focused please, anyone that can't, stay out the thread completely please.

Restarting the thread will earn a ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE