Knife Postage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cybertooth2077

Mar 17, 2023
England
Hi, new to the forum and hoping someone more versed in this area can help.

I have just made a bushcraft knife as a gift for a friend who lives internationally.

As I will need to post this to them, and I've never posted a knife internationally, I am having some trouble finding a postal service that can send this.

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Royal Mail should be able to, same as domestically. Or Parcel Force.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Royal Mail should be able to, same as domestically. Or Parcel Force.

Recent rule changes Chris:

86820F43-3594-4981-A269-15FB9FAD8A9A.jpeg

Reactions: richy3333

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What the hell!?!!?
I stand corrected. Last time I sent a knife was Jan 2022, via a Post Office counter, and had no problem then.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What the hell!?!!?
I stand corrected. Last time I sent a knife was Jan 2022, via a Post Office counter, and had no problem then.
It’s crazy. Bladed articles covers a broad range of tools, and all now have to have their postage details prepared online so staff don’t have to handle them. That I think is justifiable, but how is a maker/seller supposed to be able to support their business if they can’t sell internationally?

We have the same question running on another forum, and don’t have a solution.

Cybertooth2077

Mar 17, 2023
England
It’s crazy. Bladed articles covers a broad range of tools, and all now have to have their postage details prepared online so staff don’t have to handle them. That I think is justifiable, but how is a maker/seller supposed to be able to support their business if they can’t sell internationally?

We have the same question running on another forum, and don’t have a solution.
Yeah that's
Could you describe it as a chefs implement?
Thanks for the replies everyone! That's the predicament I'm in, the last thread I seen (the one claycomb linked) said you could describe it as a bushcraft tool, but it now risks being destroyed if found.

I'm going to ask at the post office tomorrow and see if they know, but I can't find any service that can accept it because of the updated laws.

From the documentation I've read it does seem that you can post nationally, but it cannot be on the prohibited list and must use the age verification service.
It just seems posting internationally is prohibited for some reason.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yeah that's

Thanks for the replies everyone! That's the predicament I'm in, the last thread I seen (the one claycomb linked) said you could describe it as a bushcraft tool, but it now risks being destroyed if found.

I'm going to ask at the post office tomorrow and see if they know, but I can't find any service that can accept it because of the updated laws.

From the documentation I've read it does seem that you can post nationally, but it cannot be on the prohibited list and must use the age verification service.
It just seems posting internationally is prohibited for some reason.
How do brisa, or casstrom post to the UK then? Might be worth sending them a message and ask what service they use? I had a couple knife blanks shipped by brisa - not problems when they came with DHL but one of them got stuck at customs with fedex (customs thing not a knife thing). That’s was 2021

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
for goodness sake!!! :censored:

when did royal fail institute these new regs? I have sent goodness knows how many 'bladed articles' abroad with them! Several over the last few months too. So far I've not heard of any having been stopped or opened, so they clearly don't x-ray everything for blades.

If any body comes across couriers etc that still allow blades to be sent abroad, please let me/us know! I'll keep digging and post up myself if I find some too.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It looks like DHL are OK, both domestic and international delivery.

They don't specifically mention knives or bladed items (though antiques and works of art are). They 'might' class them under the 'dangerous goods' heading, but I can't find any clarification as to what they consider dangerous!

https://send.dhlparcel.co.uk/parcel-delivery/uk-prohibited-items
DHL seem not to know what they are able to carry or not. While the list you found does not list blades specifically, this one does under Dangerous items (as if sheath knives are sent without sheaths or protection).

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
DHL seem not to know what they are able to carry or not. While the list you found does not list blades specifically, this one does under Dangerous items (as if sheath knives are sent without sheaths or protection).

Blimey is there anything they will allow you to ship??? That’s a fairly long list tbh…

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I remember shipping a heavy weight longbow I made internationally. I was advised that I couldn't send "ammunition".. with it (arrows) or it might be classed as a loaded weapon. Also I should send the string separately just incase someone managed to string the 90lb warbow and found a make shift arrow and used it to murder someone.

World has gone barmy.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sorry, not the world but a few countries.
We don't have such a nonsense in Germany for example. Other nonsense though.

Reactions: Dave Budd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE