Kit you wouldn't recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Anything made by TRUE (utility?) I got a gift pack the keyring lets keys escape, the torch kept turning itself on then dropped to pieces and the peanut lighter won't light.

I thought of complaining but they must know it's all tat so I saved my breath.

I have to slightly disagree with that, I have had one of their torches for ages and it has worked ok for many years and is as tough as nails.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sorry but that's an irrational prejudice. Still, everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose.

Andy there was a documentary about fairtrade not to long ago and from the bit I saw the conclusion on Fairtrade was that it depends totally on the scheme involved. Some are very good and match peoples' image of it as something good for the small farmer or producer. The truth can be no better than the big commodity companies coming in and dictating prices that end up passed down to the producer as barely subsistence remuneration. There are cons and success stories.

I believe there was another investigative documentary on Organic too. A lot of our organic does come from overseas and some have totally different standards that we would not recognise as organic. On top of that a lot of organic stuff like wheat IIRC ends up mixed in with non-organic wheat from Eastern Europe. IIRC that happens in GErmany or somewhere like that.

Whilst I have no problem with people buying Organic or Fairtrade in the hope that it is better for them or better for their ethics, but the truth is that most punters have no guarantee they are getting what they believe they are. (BTW see what I did? Made it sound like Fairtrade customers are buying it to feel good about themselves and it is as much about them!)

I'm with Southey. However I do most of my food shopping in Booths. I used to work in head office there and saw the invoices from their suppliers. I actually know the farms their spuds come from, their carrots and other vegetables. I grew up with my parents buying from the same farm shops of the same families that supplied Booths. I know they are quite a few generations in the family business and I even shared some of the same friends as some of them. I also know where the meat comes from. The exact farms. It is not organic (some is) but I know the farms have seen them. They produce good food that is natural and healthy. They are not organic and probably never will be. It doesnt mean their food is less healthy but on the contrary it is actually better than a lot of organic vegetables. The meats are from animals ethically treated. Treat animals well their meat will be good too. The organic tag is no guarantee that meat is good or the animals are well treated. That comes from the ethos of the farmer. That is what the farmers that supply Booths are about.

Sorry rant over. I just despise the false quality tag applied to food JUST because of the organic label applied (for an annual fee to a company called the soil association that has no real authority or status other than what they claim for themselves).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Coffee makers that take those pouches is it Tassimo? What is wrong with grinding enough coffee beans for your needs then using a cafetiere?? Why the overpriced gimicky pouches. BTW never owned one and never will. Although I do own a nice fancy stainless steel espresso and cappucino maker complete with steam frother and all the stainless steel you could want in a kitchen. Never bought it but got it free from someone who repaced kitchen gadgets with the latest new top of the range one as it takes her fancy. Apparently it got replaced by a near identical stainless steel one but the new one had been designed by Porsche or someone like that. And you think you are a bad gear freak with your latest new knife or stove. She was worse with kitchen stuff. Imagine being married to her!! She's spending hard earned money on kitchen and you have to cut back on your bushy stuff!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just how ethical is Fairtrade when the likes of Nestle do it too?!! Its not the label its the truth of the product that is important.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I heard that over in America they don't have quite the negative connotations with the title nerd. Anyone know if that is true? Something about seeing a nerd as someone who spends a lot of time on the topic and knows a lot about it.

Anyway this thread was ripe for thread jacking as it was getting bogged down on differing opinions on trangia and wasn't going to go anywhere. Perhaps we could talk about the AV referendum. Is it just me but the London centred media are going on about it a lot because they don't have any local elections to focus on and that the rest of us who are having local elections don't see any mention of it on the Lond centred national news?? If anyone on here work in news media down in London town please shove a rocket up the London obsessed news editors and light it!! What is happening with council elections and other regional elections?? Anyone heard how it is looking like going? They are sometimes a kind of barometer on how people think the coalition are going. Interesting because this is the first mid term coalition vote for many years.

Any other thread jacking we can do to help people forget about the Trangia debate??

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I think politics is against the Terms & Conditions of this site, although I do sail quite close to the wind on that one. Nerd is not really derogatory anymore, in places like South Korea it's a compliment!

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London

Quote Originally Posted by andythecelt View Post
I can make a meths substitute in my kitchen if I need to.
Completely off topic but this sounds interesting!
Could you elaborate, perhaps in a thread of its own?

erm if your doing what I think your doing probabably best to keep an eye out for the Revenue Men

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ah, now! Primus stoves are something we do agree on!

Ahh Primus...

Primus41generalview.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE