Kit you wouldn't recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Fossil fuels ARE natural materials.

:lmao: yay!

Anything advertised as. Ethically sourced, fairtrade or organic gets a wide birth from me not least as think its a load of Tosh but also as it instantly puts the price up to make you feel smug about your dogooderness. And any course/kit/food provider that uses the word wholeistic (sp) any where in its literature.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Anyone heard of caldera cone? Its a highly fuel efficient burner/windshield comination that is optimised for the stove and pot used so that you get the most efficient use of meths. It is also anything from 34g to 50g depending on the pot used. IMHO it is a better option than a trangia.

AS for those annoying Trangia fuel bottles they seize up. You undo the pressure release then screw it off a little bit to pour or screw it right off to fill, right. Except mine doesn't screw off no matter how I release the pressure. It is jammed up so I can not fill it again. Not sure if the meths has done it or what but a waste of a £7or £12 it cost me. I guess I have not had any luck with trangia. Their kit just doesn't want to work for me. Plus I hate the weight of their stuff. The bulk too.. just think there are more modern and better kit out there nowadays. And Rik you might be modern and up to date with your other kit but if the Trangia is your go to piece of kit for cooking with then I think you are not up to date on that type of item. Of course you really are because you're a stovie aren't you? Don't know why you don't give a caldera cone a try.

Who says I've not? :) The Cone is nice, came recommended to me by the guy who runs the Classic Camp Stoves forum (and is also a big Trangia user) but whilst its very good at what it does, it was not for me, too limited in its use so mine was sold to a member here. I've used all sorts of meths burners and made a good few plus I'm pretty much up to date with stoves and pots, don't use Titanium because its such a poor conductor of heat but use ETA pots amongst others on a regular basis, efficient and save fuel and all modesty aside I'm one of the best camp cooks I've come across, nobody goes hungry camping with me, we eat good food and I've never looked with envy at meals other have cooked.

Remember with the Trangia its a complete system, you mention bulk and weight, but when you think you have windshield, two pots and a kettle I think its a good deal all round plus you don't have to carry both pots or the kettle and you can use them on a fire. As bilmo-p5 says, Trangia are a cooks stove, try again and learn to use the simmer ring, you can get about a 45 minute simmer off one fill.

If you don't want the fuel bottle I'll happily pay postage on it and use it, always find space for another :)

I did exaggerate when I said a Trangia is all I would use solo, I often used to use a 123 or 8 too, sorry about that.

Thats me done on Trangia's,,,promise (well for this thread anyway).

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Credit Card survival tools.. Complete waste of steel.

credit-card-mini-work-tool-274-p.jpg

Parabolic Fire Starter (try your torch or the bottom of a drinks can)

sundancesolar_2082_6704397.jpg

Grilliput Grill (watch it warp and bend when you first use it)

grilliput-2.jpg

Wire saws (any of them)

5-piece-lot-Military-Comman-Steel-Survival-Wire-Saw-Camping-hunting.jpg

Digital compasses (any of them)

digitalbase.jpg

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Land Rover...

You can shoot me now, I am a great fan of Landies, and to be honest I have not spent a lot less on maintaining on my vintage Mitsu than I did on my even more vintage Landie, however the engine in my Mitsu has never let me down. Yeah ok I always got home in the Landie but limping nonetheless.

I must be unlucky - I'm always having to resort to heavy engineering to keep my 2.8 TD Mitsi engine going. The next thing will undoubtedly be the head, and then I'll be wishing for a landie!

Swedish Army 'Trangias', on the other hand, would get my vote for this thread. Although I think I must have got a 'duff' one! No matter what I have tried, I just cannot get it to boil a pan of water on one fill of meths. However, I do know of, and have witnessed others cooking away quite merrily on theirs.

Mine burns like a furnace once up to heat. And it has that heavy duty, military feel to it. Love it to bits.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
:yikes: you must've had some heat going on it...

I just put it over some charcoal and put a nice thick T Bone on it. about 5 mins after it pinged and the wires were trashed. Might have been a ropey one but I was gutted (the missus bought it me and she saw it disintegrate, not a happy wabbit)

I did however salvage the steak !!! :D

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Sealskinz socks

Waste of time

Had a pair bought as a present and they leaked like a sieve... wet feet in 5 minutes.

Couldn't take em back either as person who bought htem lost the receipt.

Won't touch the things now

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't know the answer to your "why" question but I do know how to make the trangia work well in the woods. :) I have cooked with it and many other alcohol stoves many many times, in nasty cold windy weather with great results. There was a time a bunch of years back when I first started using them that made me wonder, but once you know it's all about the wind and ventilation, it's easy peasy from there. :)

I guess that was my problem the venting and wind direction. I could always try again but it was with borrowed trangia so nto worthme trrying with a bought one. I am happy with my other solutions so I will stick to my negative view of Trangias as the weight and bulk just does not suit me. If I was to use one it would mean I'd have to leave a load of food behind as the trangia would take up the space at the top of the sack I'd use for food (dehydrated food too). I don't need the simmering facility as I just boil water, fill the sachet, put it in a cosy and carry on with other stuff until its cooked. I use Ti pots because the thin walls still allow good heat conduction despite the lower conductivity plus its a pot/mug style which means I boil water for thee food pouch then the rest becomes my coffee (nescafe 3 in 1 coffe, whitener and sugar). I can drink it pretty much straight after taking it off the stove, well would if the contents didn't scald me. With Al pots you would burn your lip from the pot before you'd find out the drink is too hot. I've used an AL pot with heated hydrated food (pasta and sauce cooked then mixed wi sauce and heateed through) and whilst the food was warmed through it went cold well before I could easily hold the pot. In fact the pot was hot and the food went cold (good conductor you see). The Ti pot allows a reasonable heat in but once the heat source had been removed then the part of the pot not in contact with the food or hot water cools. I like that in Ti pots. They work well all round for me.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I just put it over some charcoal and put a nice thick T Bone on it. about 5 mins after it pinged and the wires were trashed. Might have been a ropey one but I was gutted (the missus bought it me and she saw it disintegrate, not a happy wabbit)

I did however salvage the steak !!! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't prepared charcoal burn hotter than just wood burnt straight?? Kind of why they used it to make steel in the early days of the industrial revolution. Made for better efficiency than just wood. Perhaps that was why it failed. Perhaps it got too hot for it. Shouldn't though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Another vote for the Grilliput and its basket, utter carp. I really like the look of it, ordered it, used it, then sold it on.

More junk kit:

Primus and Silva Turbo lighters both rubbish with the life span of a gnat

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Don't mention the Grilliput
Please

Oh yeah you can pick them up cheap as chips

As you carry away that "bargain "you are probably realising the gist of the problem with them

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
:lmao: yay!

Anything advertised as. Ethically sourced, fairtrade or organic gets a wide birth from me not least as think its a load of Tosh but also as it instantly puts the price up to make you feel smug about your dogooderness. And any course/kit/food provider that uses the word wholeistic (sp) any where in its literature.

Sorry but that's an irrational prejudice. Still, everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose.

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
Anything made by TRUE (utility?) I got a gift pack the keyring lets keys escape, the torch kept turning itself on then dropped to pieces and the peanut lighter won't light.

I thought of complaining but they must know it's all tat so I saved my breath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE