Kit that's allowed to be carried on the outside of a rucksack...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Totally acceptable.

Went camping in the Lakes about 10 years ago with friends and got a dirty look from a vicar with the amount of beers cans I had strapped to the outside. Wasnt my fault the inside was full of a weeks camping gear and errr More beer.

Great week though

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
To any newbie , nervously entering the world of bushcrafting/wildcamping , reading threads like this , is going to decide against venturing out with strangers , or attending a meet for fear of ridicule , we all had to learn once !

It doesn't really matter what you carry on the inside/outside of your pack , or even if you bring carrier bags ! It must be positively encouraged , it's all a learning curve , nothing wrong with taking your hobby/craft seriously , but especially for beginners and those on a tight budget ,some of the comments could make them think we are all kit snobs , and have never bought the wrong gear (look at all the stuff, sold on here !) or you will be slated , for turning up with something sticking out of your pack or strapped to the outside with baler twine.

We don't all operate at -20 or dangerous altitudes , anyway i think i have said my piece ..

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
To any newbie , nervously entering the world of bushcrafting/wildcamping , reading threads like this , is going to decide against venturing out with strangers , or attending a meet for fear of ridicule , we all had to learn once !

It doesn't really matter what you carry on the inside/outside of your pack , or even if you bring carrier bags ! It must be positively encouraged , it's all a learning curve , nothing wrong with taking your hobby/craft seriously , but especially for beginners and those on a tight budget ,some of the comments could make them think we are all kit snobs , and have never bought the wrong gear (look at all the stuff, sold on here !) or you will be slated , for turning up with something sticking out of your pack or strapped to the outside with baler twine.

We don't all operate at -20 or dangerous altitudes , anyway i think i have said my piece ..

Well said that man. :thumbup:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Wait a minute.... You were serious about this when you started this thread????

In that case I'd say anyone carring about what other people's pack look like and starting a thread about it would pretty much qualify for said title.

What kit can you carry on the outside of your sack that doesn't make you look like a complete knobber? My judgement on the suggestions is absolute and final. :)

Acceptable

1) Ice axe
2) Crampons
3) Rope
4) Skis
5) Felling axe
6) Bowsaw

1,2 and 4 in the spring, summer, autumn and 75% of winter???
3 how much of it are you planning on using, if it doesn't fit inside your pack?
5 where were you planning on using that one?
6 you surely can find a decent folding saw that fits inside your pack, right?

Dubious

1) Badges
2) Hydration system
3) Kip mat

1 they don't stick out or catch on to anything, actually, so your argumentation is faulty....
2 you mean a bottle??
3 a mat? If you can use a fellingaxe then surely you can find enough boughs to make a bed with??

Sad

1) Frying pan
2) Military waterbottle

1 don't tell me. You carry a fellingaxe, but use a propane/alcohol or whatever burner to warm up your meal in an nesting titanium pan, right?
2 isn't this a hydrationsystem, too? So it'd qualify as a "dubious" at best, right? If not, would a 1,5L Lidlwaterbottle be acceptable
?

Wayland

Hárbarðr

That pretty well sums up my thoughts on this thread.

I can see that most of the posts are made with tongues firmly in cheeks but there seems to be a vicious undercurrent that does us no credit.

On the whole I have found the community on this forum to be welcoming and tolerant. The people that I have met around the meets and moots are fine examples.

But I wonder what someone reading this thread for the first time would think. I think that this demonstrates exactly the kind of snobbery that was talked about in the "Food for thought" thread and it just saddens me.

My first footsteps on the fells when I was a lad would have been treated with nothing but derision by these standards but I persisted and gained experience through them.

Who amongst us never made a mistake? I have made many and learned lessons by them all.

Sneering at others for taking similar tentative steps is just unworthy in my opinion.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Guess nobody told Dick Proenneke

dp1Custom.jpg

This is not a serious thread though is it?

I think Rob was joking when he posted the thread.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
LMFAO ! I was gonna post that too then saw you beat me to it haha

With an OWL! :)

"...Wait a minute.... You were serious about this when you started this thread????..."

I thought the OP was joking? Attach what you will to your pack, but maybe not if your walking the Cuillin ridge or similar.

I think badges on a pack can look quite nice, I'm just old though. :)

images

(Thanks to Klenchblaize)

...and some folk carry everything on the 'outside' of their pack.

door5.jpg

woodsdrummer

:)

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok one little last bit from me , i am guilty of roll mat and cup on the outside ( although the chinking of the cup ,made me stop that ) and maybe a bit silly but my silky gomtarra .

But i see nothing wrong with , my emergency whistle, small torch and two karabiners . oh yeah smallFAK and compass !

I am obviously not compliant ,so iw ill go away and rethink my packing skills ,sorry !

Last edited:

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
So, my conclusions about my own pack are that I have it right for ME. :) . I have several things accessible from the outside.

If your load is secure.
You are able to carry the weight at a distance comfortably.
Your load is balanced and correctly weight-distributed.
Your gear is well thought out and the best you can do with your budget.
You feel happy satisfied that you have with you, the things that you really need.

A bad backpack is one that is:

Insufficient in providing you with fire, water, shelter, food and something to cook with and first aid.
Too heavy.
Contains unnecessary items.
Carelessly packed.
Provides no weather protection for clothing, bedding items and tinder.
Falling apart because it is too old or made of inferior materials.

Oh, and I have walking poles too.

:p

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I think after reading this thread I'm going to strap my steel mug and any other metal items I have to the outside of my pack so the constant clinking can act like a lepers bell, warning others that a knobber is coming! :)

I don't know what's funnier, the thread as I read it, or if people are actually serious about it! Lol

Cheers

Mat (knobber extraodinaire)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Knobbers Unite !! I sometimes (not very often) strap my Eurohike XL-Si comfort to my pack , not on the bottom anymore as it weighs 2830g ! so it makes me walk like a limbo dancer , also it is so wide ,i have to go through gateways sideways .

Having hosted loads of meets ,i have seen it all ! but if it works for you brilliant , i am reattaching my steel mug to my ali carabiner as we speak , and might even go to Asda to shop with my pack , so when the assistant says" need any bags sir" I can proudly say no thankyou i have a bag for life !

Faith restorer, all round good egg, bushcraft psycologist and knobber Mr Bojangles .(hope you don't mind )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE