The Lowe Alpine Sting - A review, some questions and a comparison to the Proforce 66L

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
At the top of the front, just below the opening are two much larger Molle type attachments and running directly below is this thick green section. Again no ideas with these so answers welcomed!

Grab / lifting point ~ means you can spread the load into two hands; one at the front, one at the back :D .

Link's to Surplus and Outdoors. I'm guessing that the link's correct but thought it best to check :dunno: (not that I can be of any other help mind :eek: :eek: :eek: :sad6: )

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Sorry for the thread jack but does anyone know anything about the Dutch 110L Bergan on SurplusandLost? Looks to have a similar back system as the Sting... Another Lowe Alpine?

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...gs/dutch-military-issue-large-110-988456.html

It's the Dutch Army saracen by lowe alpine, johns is a salient, my mistake.

some pics

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lowe-alpine-saracen-military-backpack-internal-frame~p~2154n/

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/74085-Berghaus-Vulcan-or-other-Bergens-Who-uses-them?

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Have a good read about the Saracen, think it is quite a heavy bag compared to the Vulcan. If you don't need the molle or the floating lid go for the Vulcan 1 (the Vulcan 2 are MMPS), really liking mine and surprisingly not that heavy empty, so much so I am selling off all of my PLCE stuff soon.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice review of a great pack at an excellent price. I got mine (inc. side pockets) delivered from Sports Direct for £100. Unfortunately illness didn't allow me out last season, so Ive yet to give it the abuse it was built for.

Those small loop fixings at the top are for ice axes. Though having looked at mine again the molle system looks a bit different. I'll find a link to my BB review.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums...ck-look-plus-pics&highlight=Lowe+Alpine+Sting

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Have a good read about the Saracen, think it is quite a heavy bag compared to the Vulcan. If you don't need the molle or the floating lid go for the Vulcan 1 (the Vulcan 2 are MMPS), really liking mine and surprisingly not that heavy empty, so much so I am selling off all of my PLCE stuff soon.

Yeah I've been looking at the Vulcan also. Someone posted a link on here selling them new with side pockets for £99, looks to be a steal at that price. Wasn't sure of the back system though and I know the LA one to be good. Then again I only need it as a winter pack really so wouldn't be doing any great distances.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You're correct santaman, but the sellers here seem to use the two names interchangeably; it's not at all uncommon to see both names used in the same advertisement, but the stingray is a much less common pack to find in the flesh............................

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Honestly couldn't tell you which the Molle pouch is but it fits a treat on the sting, I then take it off and fasten it to my belt as I keep my FAK and personal items in it.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Thanks for all the explanations with the various attachments, I know much more now. Is anyone using those black plastic fasteners that are on either side just below the lid? They are just there with no purpose on mine at the moment

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for all the explanations with the various attachments, I know much more now. Is anyone using those black plastic fasteners that are on either side just below the lid? They are just there with no purpose on mine at the moment

Mine doesn't seem to have them. I have 4 on the lid for fastening a bag or mat.

Got a pic?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You're correct santaman, but the sellers here seem to use the two names interchangeably; it's not at all uncommon to see both names used in the same advertisement, but the stingray is a much less common pack to find in the flesh............................

That's what I was afraid of. So there's no way to know which one they'll actually send before ordering from them? Not that I can afford it plus postage anyway....but just dreaming.

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
Hi,
I managed to get some spare side pouches for these packs with the zips, but also have molle straps on the reverse.
I've fitted mine onto the front molle panel giving loads more storage.
If anyone wants one I've got one spare and I'll do it for £10 posted.
Pm me if interested.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE