Kit that's allowed to be carried on the outside of a rucksack...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What kit can you carry on the outside of your sack that doesn't make you look like a complete knobber? My judgement on the suggestions is absolute and final. :)

Acceptable

1) Ice axe
2) Crampons
3) Rope
4) Skis
5) Felling axe
6) Bowsaw

Dubious

1) Badges
2) Hydration system
3) Kip mat

Sad

1) Frying pan
2) Military waterbottle

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Can we add

Acceptable - Avalanch probe
Snow shovel
BcUK badge (preferably leather)
Personal ID badges
Aussie swag (have you tried getting one INSIDE?)

Dubious - Multiple Molle pouches

Sad - Any badge other than BcUK/ID
:D

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Can we add pretentious one course knobbers? I hate seeing a pretentious one course knobber strapped to a pack, makes the whole 100meter walk from the car feel unadventurous.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Though I would like to add the caveat of experience. This can improve the effect of the one course knobber,

Also I would like to move molle pouches to unacceptable.

And add tesco bags with food in.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Really don't understand this thread. In my view anything that won't go inside or you might want to get at easily and won't get damaged or lost is OK strapped outside it. Carrying a bow saw, assembled, on the outside of a pack is asking for damage to things like tarps, tents and waterproofs. I don't often carry an ice axe nor an avalanche probe in England.

My Jerven bag has a neat little cap which goes over the end when it's rolled up to keep the water out. If I strap it on my pack it takes less than a minute to get my bed ready for the night.

How about a Dutch oven? :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
On a similar vibe, people who wear gaiters, walking boots and all the gear, have maps in map pockets, compass and whistle around their neck on a short circular walk from a car park on a proper path... usually in a group.... as a kid we'd be in trainers and generally pass them twice. Usually flasks were out.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
On a similar vibe, people who wear gaiters, walking boots and all the gear, have maps in map pockets, compass and whistle around their neck on a short circular walk from a car park on a proper path... usually in a group.... as a kid we'd be in trainers and generally pass them twice. Usually flasks were out.

Was the walk over 100m or under????

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
probably about 3miles...

With a tea room/pub on route
On a tarmac/gravel path
With little coloured arrows to point the way

Were the coloured arrows like these??

IMG_0428.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Were the coloured arrows like these??

IMG_0428.jpg

LOL! No! They were neatly engraved into little wooden posts - or printed onto little metal discs, lovingly screwed to the fence posts designed to stop said sheeple wandering off the newly tarmaced path so rendering it possible they may have to remove the map from the weatherproof envelope and work out how to use their compass - all within ear shot of the main road, carpark or souvenir shop.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE