Kit Nostalgia....It's not what it used to be

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

A couple of comments on other threads have made me think about some of the old kit I've used in the past. Nostalgia has a way of dimming the negative points and only the good remain...

For example one bit of kit I tend to get nostalgic about is the old issue SAS / Para bergen...

image courtesy of kit monster

SAS%20Bergen.jpg

For me this was my first proper rucksack. With my rose tinted spectacles on the relative ease of loading it up with a 58 pattern sleeping bag and other caggage then lugging it cross country was a delight. In reality it was a horror to carry with an external frame seemingly made from cast iron no waist belt and a habit of pummeling your kidneys... I see them turn up on ebay and contemplate having a go for one but the memory of actually using it ( and the horrendous cost of getting it to NZ) bring me to my senses...

But it would be kind of fun to get one and rig the back with a bit of sleeping mat and some bungies in a vain attempt to get it comfortable.

So for me it's the SAS / Para Bergen.

What bit of kit makes you feel all nostalgic.....???

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Got one of those stoves somewhere, and the one that came in its own metal case ?, got one of those aswell.

As a youngster, i had an over the head style smock(cagoule, in those days), that i lived in, until it was sadly to small and passed on. Never gave it any thought until i went on the hilltrek stand at a show last year, and smelled the ventile jackets, which brought back the memories of that smock, i must get a ventile smock again, one day..

Rob

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Johnboy thats the one ..lol
Another item has to be the Berghaus Cyclops roc ,,,fantastic bit of kit
Early Goretex bivi bags from survival aids,
Original Wilkinson sword survival knife designed by an unknown ( then ) survival instuctor called Ray Mears !..lol
Twodogs

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Got one of those stoves somewhere, and the one that came in its own metal case ?, got one of those aswell.

As a youngster, i had an over the head style smock(cagoule, in those days), that i lived in, until it was sadly to small and passed on. Never gave it any thought until i went on the hilltrek stand at a show last year, and smelled the ventile jackets, which brought back the memories of that smock, i must get a ventile smock again, one day..

Rob

Climbers wore cagoules or anoraks, smocks were used by Cornish fishermen (hence fishermans smock), so as I'm old fashioned modern 'smocks' are still anoraks.

Old kit I use is one of many old stoves.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ah happy days eh.

One that sticks in my mind was the german sniper sleeping bag I had for many years. It was the heaviest and bulkiest bag probably ever made but I still dragged it up and down dale bungied onto the outside of my blue nylon frame pack. I can remember showing off with it to a mate when I got it, even making a point of walking round with it on with my legs sticking out of the bottom. That along with my 4 man cotton Lichfield combat tent and my bulldogs made for many a miserable backpacking experience.

In fact I'm surprised I can even stand up straight these days.

for me it has to be a millets branded 40litre rucksack with no frame no waist belt. it was to my eyes as a scout monstourously big yet never seemed to fit everything into it.
i lugged that with assorted bits lashed on round for a fair few years. as i recall the waterproofing actually peeled off in big sheets!
think i might een have it lurkign around somewhere still.
Sam

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nostalgic ?

This :

VangoForce10STD1.jpg

and this :

P1010460.jpg

NS

Great tents, I've a Mk3 and two Mk 5's, as for the stove :) one of my favourites there.

Springlow meals John :) I still carry the odd Vesta meal with me.

Bulldog pans, why of course:) That said I just got a 12 litre stainless steel pot I'm fitting a bale too for group cooking.

Vapalux lamps, some from the 50's

Stoves some pre 1911

1960's Silva compass

the list goes on :)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
One of these puppies....??

P1010099.jpg

I've got the GlobeTrotter270, which is a similar thing but without the cannister holder. So I can use it on bigger cannisters that you can still get hold of.

The Primus Eta 1litre pot fits very nicely on it, with the flame staying inside the flux rings, making a very nice and quick/efficient basic cookset.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I love those old stoves. they are easy to find, and the gas is cheap.

I have one in the tin, (I like things in tins)

And a 96 primus (in tin)

And my Vango Force Ten (picture me struggling up a cliff with it cradled in my arms...I took it because it was windproof....no wind that day...)

And yes, I have a set of bulldog billies

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I picked up two cannisters of gaz for my "Globetrotter" stove this morning, for free as the shop is clearing out some old stock, I bought the stove and pots a few weeks back for £1.50, so really happy that I can now use it even if it is for only a little while.

Also saw he had some of the double sized cannisters on the shelf, only a dozen or so, anyone got an old stove that uses them, but cannot find them?

:)

I've got the GlobeTrotter270, which is a similar thing but without the cannister holder. So I can use it on bigger cannisters that you can still get hold of.

The Primus Eta 1litre pot fits very nicely on it, with the flame staying inside the flux rings, making a very nice and quick/efficient basic cookset.

jenks

Aug 29, 2004
county durham
I had a '58 sleeping bag up until a couple of years ago. It was made by The North Face, as it was labelled on the hood. A good piece of kit, if you had a good one. The first one I was issued in the 80s was older than me and if you held it up to the light you could count the feathers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE