Kit Nostalgia....It's not what it used to be

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Nostalgia kit, Zippo lighters!!!......whatever happened to them, you could allways count on it to be as dry as bone when nobody in the group smokes, I've got one somewhere and when I find it I'm going to take a picture and post it here, just to embarress it !!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Nostalgia kit, Zippo lighters!!!......whatever happened to them, you could allways count on it to be as dry as bone when nobody in the group smokes, I've got one somewhere and when I find it I'm going to take a picture and post it here, just to embarress it !!

:lmao:

Could never understand in 'The Survialist' books why he was always refiling his. Then I owned one, think the only thing I really use it for is refiling. It the perfect smokers lighter, because it needs almost constaint attention to keep working.

If ever something need modding, it is the Zippo.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As a smoker I would fill my Zippo maybe twice a week, what fuel were you using? You also need to really soak the pad in fuel, not just squirt a little fuel on it.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Even when I was a heavy smoker I only needed to fill it twice a week. I always used Zippo brand fuel and wicks though, and cheap flints aren't fat enough so used Zippo ones of those too. You do need to be careful not to overfill a zippo though or it'll leak in your pocket. I lost count of the number of times I had a fuel burn the exact size as my lighter on my leg. Itched like hell!

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
As a smoker I would fill my Zippo maybe twice a week, what fuel were you using? You also need to really soak the pad in fuel, not just squirt a little fuel on it.

the fuel evaporates over time, even with the lid closed.
which means that if you put it away, fully fueled, it'll have gone dry within about 2-2 1/2 weeks.
there are lighters which solve this (basically by sealing the whole thing with an O ring) but still use zippo type lighter-fuel

in the US you can get a butane fueled insert for the zippo which functions like the oil powered ones, but doesn't run out. but I haven't found it in the UK :(

OOh yeah...Bloomin heavy things they were
RT352M-SMALL.jpg

The good old 352, dont forget the hand genny as well and the uncomfortable headset GS.....

I have a pouch from the 350 handset, I keep it on my webbing, its great

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Great thread.

I've still got two Cobmaster framed rucksacks, one's Canary yellow and the other is green.

Still got my silver foil lined "Moonbags" too.

Magpies the lot of us. :)

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Got be be an old Primus stove for me. First type of stove I was ever taught to use many, many moons ago in the cubs. Always brings back memories :)

DSCN0936_edited.jpg

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Back in the old days when bergens really were bergens this is what I had.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/images/UK_Bergen_Back.jpg

Mine was genuine WW2 vintage, and originally my dad's and I can't say I miss it.

Later on I had one of these:

http://7alpha.freeyellow.com/p65packframe.JPG

with a DIY plywood shelf extension on the back, you could strap just about anything to it, I used to strap a hessian potato sack to the back, and go off scavenging wood complete with axe and machete, those were the days.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Hey Johnboy, your version of fun and mine are thankfully two very different things - I'd rather shove wasps up my backside than tab around the hills attached to one of those things again !!

Take it easy mate

Took the words right out of my mouth, anyone else remember "Bergen Back!"

Mike

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
My first backpaking trip to the Lakes, clad in heavy tweed breeches ( it was July) and a wool shirt, two heavy wool jumpers as warm clothing.
The aforementioned pack frame- mine a nameless brand from the Army and Navy stores, mostly filled by my Woolies sleeping bag.
Old heavy steel Camping gaz stove ( could not believe how light the alloy ones were when I first saw one) and Gilwell mess tins- lasted years that pot did.........
It is a testament to stupidity that I carried on with the outdoors as a hobby.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
For years I had a 58 pattern waterbottle that gave the water in it a very distinctive plasticy taste. All my escapades were accompanied by that taste - I'm almost tempted to buy another 58 bottle to see if it can be recreated :)
Rat

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
For years I had a 58 pattern waterbottle that gave the water in it a very distinctive plasticy taste. All my escapades were accompanied by that taste - I'm almost tempted to buy another 58 bottle to see if it can be recreated :)
Rat

Ratbag I can confirm that my 58 pattern water bottle also has a distinct plasticy taste and when combined with my trangia (who's burner has a leaky lid) the taste of my brew is becomes very 'interesting' :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE