Kit,for a weekend what do you take.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Its summer time in your neck of the woods(desribe your terrain),you have a weeked trip planned bushcrafting in the great outdoors,Friday till Sunday afternoon sort of thing.Taking only what you can carry on your person describe your kit that you will be taking and why you have chosen each piece of kit.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Axe & knife - need I explain them?

I've been trying to get into purism lately, and seeing what I can do with just a knife. It's a surprising amount - Axe cuts you wood for a fire and a shelter, knife does everything else. Sadly I can't use it on the local sheep :cry: which can present a rather large food problem. Foraging can yield a surprising amount, quite enough to live on for a weekend, just so long as you don't mind bland tastes and having to spend all day doing it. :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
The terrain, all within 10 miles of my home, varies from grassland hills that are sprinkled with scrub oak, coastal and black sage and other flora, to a hardwood forest with Oak, Sycamore, Elm, Cottonwood and several other variety of tree, including patches of Redwood and there is usually a very thick underbrush that's loaded with poison oak.

Summer temperatures range from 60F along the coast to 120F in the coastal mountains in July/August. Rivers at this time are low and choosing a water supply can be tricky, because of a poisonous algea that forms in some of the waterways that are slow moving and there are heavy metal springs throughout the area. Therefore during the summer months, water resources are the priority when choosing a site to go into.

Local fauna during this time of year is abundant and finding a local watering hole is important for successful hunting, whether it be with catapult, bow or rifle (WARNING: Hunting with bow is illegal in UK :wink: ). For the individual in bush, hunting should be limited to small prey, including young hogs, rabbit, coon, quail, etc.

Gear that I'd take with me are:

foam pad: for comfort. At my age, the ground gets hard and cutting live trees goes against my grain unless it's absolutely necessary. In some areas there is enough debris to help with the padding, but not always.

Poncho: Shade is important and it enhances any natural debris shelter that I might throw together. Plus, temperature drops of 40+ degrees isn't unheard of and it adds to the warmth factor when fires aren't allowed because of extreme dry conditions.

Poncho liner: I like cuddling up with something over my body when I sleep. A good lookin and soft woman would be my first choice, but the wife rarely goes out with me anymore. :eek:):

HD Industrial drum liners: They help with shade and shelter as well as make a great blanket when filled with leaves or dry pine needles.

Fire making kit: whether it's a lighter, a spark-lite or firesteel, I'll have some form of sparking tool with me along with some tinder. Now-a-days I usually carry an old nylon Gerber folding gator knife pouch on my belt. Inside is a BSA hotspark, German utility knife w/saw and match tube filled with tinder. My reasoning is that fire is one of, if not my most important tool for warmth and water purification when needed.

Water purification and carry kit: I'm allergic to Iodine according to my Dr., so I carry a plastic squeeze dropper bottle with bleach, coffee filters, bandana, PUR Hiker filter system, USGI canteen w/cup, 2 liter bota bag and a couple of 1 gallon freezer grade ziploc bags and a small burlap sack with handles to carry the extra water more easily. Water is my number one priority while in bush and I try and keep at least 2 gallons with me in camp.

Food kit: This includes License and tags, my bow and a quiver of arrows with a variety of hunting and field points, Esbit stove w/fuel and foil for windscreen, Oatmeal, instant soup, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, honey, parched corn ground to coarse flour (sometimes with buffalo jerkey added), Turkey jerkey, spices and condiments. Even though I hunt and forage, I carry some with me. I usually don't eat much while out, which is why I carry the high energy food with me. Most of my summer foraging is limited to herbs for the wife, greens and a few medicinal plants that are ready in late summer. Also carry gallon sized ziploc bags to stuff the foraged materials into.

Navigation: I carry a military compass on my belt, but have rarely used it. Still, I carry it for GP.

Edged tools: I carry a Buck brand T handled dual edged saw w/sheath and a good fixed blade knife. My blade of preference was a Mora. But now I'm liking and carrying the BRKT NorhStar. Hard to imagine not having a knife with me. It makes life in the woods so much easier. The saw gets firewood duty along with game butchering duty if I happen to be big game hunting while I'm out. Sometimes I'll carry my Becker BK-7 or a Khukuri instead of the saw.

First Aid Kit: I always have a FAK with me. Not only for myself because there's been a few times I've been called on for blisters, cuts, etc. by hikers that I happen upon that are in trouble for one reason or another.

Signaling devices: Because injury is a constant possibility, I include a starflash mirror, LED light, AA minimag and whistle in my gear. Plus, the wife has given me a cell phone and makes me take it with me lately (she worries bout her old man out alone).

I carry an M65 liner, extra wool socks (even in summer), a pair of shorts, mocs, T shirt and thermal shirt. As mentioned earlier, temperatures can plummet.

I carry TP with me. I don't want to mess with a poo rag like some do and with so much poison oak, I don't dare use the local flora. :yikes:

I also carry spritual items with me.

Everything fits into my pockets, on my belt and a medium rucksack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE