kit change of mind with increasing skill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
These are just some thoughts, maybe interesting for a newby

Sometimes I use gear and think nah and then later my opnion turnes around / opinion turnes 180 degree......when skill comes in!

For instance axes.

I started of with the wildlife hatched, carving, delimbing etc. Back then when I picked up the Scandinavian forest axe (especially with one hand) I was like nah!
Now with lots of more skills I really do not like short handles.
I aquired the middle and skill for one handed use on a real axe, so arm length.

With the Fallkniven F1 I was like nah cant featherstick prperly... So ditched it.(longg ago)
Now with a total regrind of the knife on my water stones I find it even quite acceptible good!

The Mora Bushcraft black I really like. But my total appreciation came when grinded fully fully flat. Even the slightest scandivex I dont like.
So here also the skill totally changes the gear.

Exemples are numerable , but I am also intersted in yours! ��

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I totally agree, I found this is a bit of a natural progression, I chop and change the odd bit of kit quite often but I have a sort of "standard" kit list that dosen't change that much.

something fun for you, get all your kit out lay it on a floor and take a photo, do the same each year and you'll see subtle changes but some things will stay the same.
I did this for my work, friends/family have taken photos of when demonstrating and I didn't realise but over 10 years, when I taught bowdrill I seem to put all my kit in exactly the same place to the left or right of me, it works, so I'll keep doing it

The thing I've found most usefull is to make lists, of kit you take to an event, take a notepad, and as you're using things take notes, when you get home write it all up like an assesment and over a few events you will see some kit you used some you don't.
for example one trip I noted that when using a mini Trangia, when finished you put the burner and stove (that's sat on the ground) straight into the pot you've just washed, it's how it was designed, which seems crazy, why would anyone introduce bacteria into a cooking pot they've just cleaned? I wrote it down, considered other options like Hexamin and gas, but since then I've used other cookers.

For example I did a mountain leadership course back in 2004, previous to the course I was 100% into Bushcraft, lots of heavy gauge kit, leather hats, axes etc.
after a 10 day expedition it dawned on me I didn't use any of my Bushcraft stuff, Multitool,survival kit, army pouch etc
8 months later the end of the course I was barely taking any metal items in my kit, everything was lightweight and nylon.

As for my Bushcraft kit well I've gone from it being a hobby to teaching over the last 10 years, and I have demo kit and personal kit, all my demo(work) kit is heavy, my hobby kit is pretty much minimalist!

Overall my kit hasn't changed that much, I've always carryied tools/shelter/waterbottles/messtin or mug, and various cookers, but I'm pretty settled with my kit now so I would guess that next year my kit will be pretty much the same as now.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hi Rappleby 2000
Thanks for your very nice personal.view and eperience.
I still really make so much different outings that changes the gear in my bag but I do too like to write ot down.
Regarding to traditional gear. Currently I mix it. But I am still quite traditional. But....
I also tried a Vintage Swedish and norwegian rucksack. But I am back with my trusted Berghaus Munro and Vulcan.

Some things do remain the same. I love wool in winters so I wear full wool gear. Also so happy I found the Finnish Army woolen trousers of Martti.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Progress is quite natural, changing kit with escalating skills and differences in expectation - but the earlier stages are very much part of the learning, as that is the foundation upon which your skills/kit/experience is based.

Writing stuff down is a great way of reminding yourself and formal-ising a progression - though I would advocate minor caution; I began making lists of skills and learning methods a few years ago - expanding and adding to the document as time passed - it is now nearly 600 pages and 215,000 words!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wow! Yeh, I tend to buy stuff, try it, then flog it. Theres not much which has stayed with me over the years. But the stuff which has is pretty indispensable. Plus you discover youre own way of dong things, even if youve been taught differently, with some processes.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
hi Ogri, thanks for that tip. Yes I also thought about that....also I did 20 years of conservation work, my local knowlegde would be nice maybe to some people...but that will be so so much work as you alreaddy mentoined. I will think about it :).

Hi Dave! Wow that different again. Everybody is unique. I have got some real trusty stuff that stay in my kit list! Like Swanndri Ranger shirt, Berghaus Munro, Coticule sharpening stone, Moraknivs, etc etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE