Input on putting together a first kit bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mozzi

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2015
Brighton
Well that'll be down to me only being able to come across as well as I type, which I'll admit never seems to portray the way I mean things.

As for disrespectful, I don't quite see that, please expand (to help me understand, I'm not refuting it).

I my intro its about BUSHCRAFT. regarding first aid application, risk assessment, fishing, knives safety, outside living etc I consider myself moderately experienced in. the finer arts of bushcraft is something Im currently learning.

sory to offend

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Well I might not be good at bushcraft in many eyes, or common sense based on the perspective, but I'm a grade A at storing cans :p

I appreciate that you are all just stating what you think would be in my best interest, but a lot of this goes against what I hold close in life (which is also built on a very complicated background, but suffice to say since 20 I consider myself on borrowed time so do not concern myself with things like stitches and hygeing :p)

And as to why I bought some expensive things? Because I can. I have a tbs boar, and just bought a bison double knife, for no other reason than I can. I like nice things, and that is all the justification I need. I've 16 knives within 2 feet if me, and another 3 in the post. Because why ever not :) what fun is life if everything you do is based on what is sensible and calculated? :)

I will simply restate my situation, and any further discussion can be based on that. While I am buying up kit for the future, right now (hence not having a class 1 trauama kit in my bag) I am kitting out for little more than woodland walks. I have bought it her stuff, sure, but for different situations. As mentioned, if I were to take a trip into the middle of Alaska or such, then of course I would pack accordingly. But I bought a simple first aid kit (that no one has even enquired as to the contents (it might be cheap and in a plastic box, but the contents are military if that gives any clue) because it us more than I will need for what I am doing.

As to the cutting to the bone, well yes, I have had an interesting life to say the least, and I learnt that I heal damn well, and have always taken an approach of not visiting a doctor. I firmly believe that if I can't sort myself out then I've no place on this earth. I do not do doctors, prescriptions, jabs, bandages, sterilization. Nothing. Yes that may be a big risk but is my risk and one I happily take. I would appreciate if people would simply respect that we do things differently. I could preach to someone about their religion, diet, you name it, but I dint as I respect that they do things their own way, and whether I agree or think it makes no sense, they alone get to make that choice and ill let them. As I've said, there will be people out there who question why you out yourself at such risk by bushcrafting instead of going to Ikea and Tesco. but you have a unique personal answer, that makes no sense to them and they'd consider us as having g no common sense based on that. The thing about common sense is that it isn't common, and more often than not is unique to the individual.

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just a thought, but I carry a first aid kit as much for other who I may hapoen across as for me. If for instance I found someone who was hurt and I could not help them I would feel bad. So I carry aspirin (as a for instance) because it may be me who has a heart attack, or my wife, or just someone else, and that seems a simple enough precaution.
Also as said above, as you age you will most likely find that stuff you shrugged off at twenty is harder to do after a couple more decades, so prompt treatment of minor injuries may be a good plan.
Last one, hygiene should not IMHO be under rated, blood poisoning is fast and nasty.
There are some terrific folk on this forum OP, all willing to help and share.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
So I've not read the entire thread (dear God, 3 pages - that's War and peace that is :p). I will chip in with just a nugget of the wisdom I go by.

First aid kits - If you don't know how to use the things in it, why carry them.
If its a personal first aid kit, you only need to carry what you can administer yourself to yourself.

I spent time in the wilderness with a paramedic and we got to talking about first aid kits and he showed me his. There was pretty much nothing in it bar a few personal meds (pain killers, anti-inflammatory tabs), safety pins, a few plasters, rubber gloves, CPR face mask and a triangular bandage. He was skilled in using them and improvising with them and said if anything happened that he couldn't sort with what he had, we were probably going to die anyway.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you don't know how to use what's in your kit, why carry it. I'm Outdoor Pursuits Trained in First Aid and don't need to prequalify for about 3 years. But I still practice when I can to make sure I know what I'm doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE